IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Thing is we know nothing about Jev yet and what he considers good music.

Neubauten says a lot about that.

Here is a random selection of tracks I consider either extremely well composed and/or with a strong emotional impact on me (some more some less but significant nevertheless). So you can get an idea if you are interested. Please note that I am not a native English speaker and so I ignore most of the lyrics in the songs. Vocals are mainly an instrument in a composition for me.

Autechre - IV VV IV VV VIII
Autechre - 1 1 is
Autechre - Zeiss Contarex
Autechre - Tilapia
Autechre - Pen Expers
Autechre - Osla for n
Autechre - Second Peng
Autechre - LCC
Autechre - Yuop
Autechre - qplay
Autechre - Simmm
Autechre - Surripere
Knut - Whacked Out
The Knife - Raging Lung
The Knife - Stay Out Here
The Knife - Without You My Life Would Be Boring
The Knife - A Cherry On Top
The Knife - Full of Fire
Einstürzende Neubauten - Fiat Lux
Einstürzende Neubauten - Ich Warte
Einstürzende Neubauten - Von Wegen
Einstürzende Neubauten - Unvollstaendigkeit
Einstürzende Neubauten - Feurio!
Einstürzende Neubauten - Haus der Lüge
Aphex Twin - Cock/Ver 10
Aphex Twin - Produk 29
Aphex Twin - 54 Cymru Beats
Aphex Twin - Taking Control
Aphex Twin - Meltphace 6
Depeche Mode - Stripped
Depeche Mode - The Landscape Is Changing
Depeche Mode - Clean
Dabrye - In Water
Hardfloor - Acperience 1
Tool - Disposition - Reflection - Triad
Tool - Third Eye
Tool - The Grudge
Tool - Schism
Yes - Starship Trooper
Yes - Our Song
Yes - Going for the One
Yes - South Side Of The Sky
Budgie - Napoleon Bona Parts 1 & 2
King Crimson - Starless
King Crimson - The Power To Believe II
Jakob - Malachite
Jakob - Safety In Numbers
Keelhaul - Driver's Bread
Keelhaul - 39f
Keelhaul - 360
Keelhaul - Corrugated Blacklung
Boards of Canada - Nothing Is Real
Boards of Canada - Split Your Infinities 
Boards of Canada - Jacquard Causeway
Miles Davis - Human Nature ("Live Around The World" album)
Alex Machacek - Shona
Alex Machacek - There's a New Sheriff In Town
Alex Machacek - Along Came a Spider
Brazilian Girls - Noveau Americain
Brand X - Dance of the Illegal Aliens
John Adams - Harmonielehre: Part I (Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)
Hudson Mohawke - Fruit Touch
Jay Dilla - The Diff'rence
Jay Dilla - Waves
Blue Effect - Slunečný Hrob
Marta Kubišová - Modlitba pro Martu
Incubus - Circles
Incubus - Make Yourself
Big Country - 1000 Stars
Big Country - Porrohman
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic
Plaid - Fer
Plaid - Oi
Plaid - Rakimou
Plaid - Wallet
Plastikman - Consumed
Plastikman - Ask Yourself
Tears For Fears - The Working Hour
Tears For Fears - Start of the Breakdown
Tears For Fears - Pale Shelter
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (the whole album)
Mark Hollis - A Life (1895-1915)
Slint - Good Morning, Captain
SND - 12 (from "makesnd cassette")
Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
Porcupine Tree - Black Matter
Porcupine Tree - Russia on Ice
Porcupine Tree - Stop Swimming
Porcupine Tree - Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
Porcupine Tree - Fadeaway
Porcupine Tree - Gravity Eyelids
Porcupine Tree - Drown With Me (the demo version)
Porcupine Tree - Strip the Soul
Porcupine Tree - Mother and Child Divided (live Chicago 2005)
Portishead - Threads
Oasis - Morning Glory
Oasis - Some Might Say
Oasis - Hey Now
Opposition - Life's Blood
M.I.A. - Only 1 U
M.I.A. - Galang
Meshuggah - Straws Pulled At Random
Meshuggah - Perpetual Black Second
Meshuggah - Autonomy Lost - Imprint of the Un-Saved - Disenchantment - The Paradoxical Spiral - Re-Inanimate - Entrapment - Mind's Mirrors
Meshuggah - Spasm
Meshuggah - Dancers to a Discordant System
Marillion - Incubus
Marillion - Emerald Lies
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - One
Metallica - Dyers Eve
Metallica - To Live Is To Die
Orbital - the whole "Brown" and "In Sides" albums
Radiohead - Nice Dream
Radiohead - All I Need
Radiohead - Reckoner
Radiohead - the whole "Kid A" album
School of Seven Bells - When You Sing
School of Seven Bells - My Cabal
Sleater-Kinney - Entertain
Sleater-Kinney - Get Up
Sun Kil Moon - Tonight the Sky
Sun Kil Moon - Salvador Sanchez
The Dilinger Escape Plan - Good Neighbor
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Zebulon Pike - Mirrors Of Blessed Miracles
Zebulon Pike - Star Ocean
Bjork - There's More To Life Than This
Bark Psychosis - Shapeshifting
A Tribe Called Quest - Lyrics To Go
A Tribe Called Quest - Sucka Nigga
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight
Craw - Caught My Tell (just for the amazing intro)
Eric Pridz - You
Eric Pridz - Pjanoo (Eric's Intro Edit)
My Bloody Valentine - Soon
My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When
Primus - Over the Electric Grapevine
Rush - Jacob's Ladder (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Peaceable Kingdom (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Territories (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Virtuality (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Losing It (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Cygnus X-1 (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Turn the Page (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - Caravan (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - La Villa Strangiato (I love Alex Lifeson)
Rush - The Body Electric (I love Alex Lifeson)
Röyksopp - Röyksopp Forever
Little Dragon - Underbart
Oval - 6 (from "Ovalprocess" album)
Genesis - Turn It On Again
XTC - Travels in Nihilon
Gescom - ISS-SA
DJ Shadow - Napalm Brain / Scatter Brain
DJ Shadow - Changeling/Transmission 1
Amon Tobin - Reanimator
Anathema - Are You There?
Anathema - Harmonium
Don Caballero - Ones All Over the Place
Earl Sweatshirt - Whoa
Earl Sweatshirt - Hoarse
Jawbox - Savory
Quicksand - Delusional
Bonobo - First Fires (Live on KEXP)
Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires (Live BBC)
Crystal Castles - Birds
Crystal Castles - Wrath of God
Deftones - Rocket Skates
Deftones - Street Carp
Deftones - Back To School (Mini Maggit)
Deftones - Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)
The Prodigy - Poison
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Tata Bojs - Elišce
Tata Bojs - Vesmírná
Tata Bojs - Maličká
Tribal Tech - You May Remember Me
On the Virg - Native Metal
On the Virg - Alien Hip-Hop
Massive Attack - Group Four

...and many others I can't remember now.

I have to sometimes remind myself that people like the sound of these presets and drum machines etc so they do not need processing and turning into something new. I mean, basic drum sounds and presets are the main reason to buy/use something right?

Not for me, i delete all presets and sounds. You cannot develop your own sound using stuff like that.

Absolutely.

The presets themselves are not the problem. It is the results and mindset that comes from them. We have to remember that instruments in electronic music does not let us to express our personal style as much as "real" instruments. There is considerably less variables involved in typical electronic production than in live music. You can take the same single guitar and a same song and let it play 10 different guitarists through the same amplifier without FX and you will get 10 different results and styles. You could identify those guitarists according to that. This would be close to impossible in most cases in electronic music. That is why presets are bad if not used with care. They prevent producers from searching for their own sound. You have to realize that every time you pick that LPF knob and turn it (or use any other tool in production for that matter), it is your own taste that tells you "stop it here, this is the sweetspot". This combination of huge amounts of, let say, "subjective sweetspot selections" during design of a sound is what creates your sound and gives your music unique personality. If you use presets too much or even make a whole song from them you prevent your personality from being injected into the process and the results are going to be sterile and generic. What is even worse is that today's sound/presets libraries are of such a high professional quality that it even discourages producers from using EQ/compression/whatever as it already sounds pretty good to them. That even more prevents them from creating their own sound. So unless you really know what you are doing (or are fine with creating shit music that nobody gives a fuck about), don't use presets.

By the way, Daniel Miller from Mute records talked about this very problem in a documentary I cannot find now. Might post it later if found.

you have a lot of hate for formula

you know how restaurants interview new chefs? they don't ask them to make coq au vin. they ask them to make scrambled eggs. you feel me now?

also, curious what you think about fluorescent grey's music. links to follow......

I have a lot of hate for music released just because their producers had fun making it while jamming a physically exciting piece of gear...

What wankers! Having fun making music and thinking there might be someone else who also likes it! Vile creatures.

You misunderstood.

The music is good when you enjoy to listen to it. Not creating it. But if they release a video with "Hey! I have so much fun jamming with this box. Just ignore the shit music." then I understand.

If you cannot sit and listen carefully to a track without impatient movement and other distractions and finding no (at least jarring) mistake in it, then the track is probably not worth releasing.

This just shows how far removed you are from actually listening to music, as also evidenced by your embarrassing reaction to the DJ tool. Not every piece of music is fucking meant to be listened to sat down like some fucking academic analysis.

You misunderstood again.

Do you know what "tension" is? It is an emotion that you get from amazing, flawless music. An emotion that force you to listen carefully no matter what. You don't have a need to dance or do anything else because the music is so fucking amazing that you simply don't move and just listen and then maybe cry or something when it's over. But I guess you have never experienced it because you distract yourself with forced dancing and other stuff. Otherwise the music would be boring for you I guess. It is a similar thing as drinking/doing drugs in order to have fun in a collective. Otherwise the people would be boring again. And you know why people like you does it? Because you have a low standard and because you are unwilling to search for a better one.

Let the shitstorm begin.

People are usually too excited to release every little achievement they make in their own personal progress with music thinking it is a centre of the world.

Or people are caught up in enjoying something and figure they'd see if others will enjoy it too. Sometimes you just like something and you wanna share it. Not everyone has your level of ego within themselves.

True.

If they are satisfied with sharing their meaningless achievements on their $5000 set of gear - fair enough.

Now that I filtered my "cunty" emotions with you I will disclose the meaning of the post to you. It means: I believe most of the "producers" miss discernment.

And because I love music too much and try my best to keep my discernment senses sharp I will not post / release my music here because I know very well it is not yet on the level I would like it to be. I have no desire polluting the webs with disposable music. Sorry guys.

Does it matter if the artist that drew the picture you really dig made his own pencils and paper?

No, it doesn't matter because your analogy isn't correct.

Making your own pencils and paper would be better compared to making your own EQ and compressors.

I believe better sound design analogy would be a pallet of colours that you mix yourself and then paint with it.

This thread is waaay off topic imo.

So anyway, here's what I always imagine when I see Jev's avatar

zmGpzSj.gif

Ha ha ha. Excellent. You just gave my avatar a new, deeper meaning :-)))

Here is a random selection of tracks I consider...

There are some that i dont know in that list. I'll give them a shot.

By the way, Daniel Miller from Mute records talked about this very problem in a documentary I cannot find now. Might post it later if found.

Cool. :catfallen:

Guest Chesney

good post jev

Lovely to see T For F working hour in there. Lots of good stuff but also lots I personally do not consider great. Taste is an amazing thing innit.

Edited by Chesney

If you cannot sit and listen carefully to a track without impatient movement and other distractions and finding no (at least jarring) mistake in it, then the track is probably not worth releasing.

This just shows how far removed you are from actually listening to music, as also evidenced by your embarrassing reaction to the DJ tool. Not every piece of music is fucking meant to be listened to sat down like some fucking academic analysis.

You misunderstood again.

Do you know what "tension" is? It is an emotion that you get from amazing, flawless music. An emotion that force you to listen carefully no matter what. You don't have a need to dance or do anything else because the music is so fucking amazing that you simply don't move and just listen and then maybe cry or something when it's over. But I guess you have never experienced it because you distract yourself with forced dancing and other stuff. Otherwise the music would be boring for you I guess. It is a similar thing as drinking/doing drugs in order to have fun in a collective. Otherwise the people would be boring again. And you know why people like you does it? Because you have a low standard and because you are unwilling to search for a better one.

Let the shitstorm begin.

No mate, you misunderstand again. The way you insist on there can be only one listening manner to discern a good track is fucking ridiculous. And not to mention as if music can never be so fucking amazing that it would coerce your whole body into moving and dancing. I've been to noise gigs before where I've just had to move, and dance because the energy created was just so intense. But it wasn't just the music. It was the sheer fucking volume/the venue/the lighting.... everything was making my body scream.

None of which would happen if I was sat at home.

Fourtet based all his EQ on some tracks from playing them at clubs, not in the studio, because it was not the environment for which it is intended. Kraftwerk went to clubs to listen to music, to see how music was actually absorbed by others; not in a sterile environment of a studio, but out in the real fucking world, where other stimuli combine. Why the fuck would anyone make a techno track and then work out if it was any good by sitting at home, without any other stimulus? No-one would ever listen to that music like that, why place boundaries on something, when those boundaries are of no relevance whatsoever. That extra 16 bars that might seem excessive sat at home? They probably fucking work in another environment. You cannot judge a track like that. And thinking there is ONLY music, and nothing else which impacts the enjoyment of it, is silly and myopic.

Even Autechre doing the whole "play in the dark, it's all about the music" thing, is still subject to other stimuli than just the music. Fuck, just the general atmosphere of everyone being on a similar level of concentration gives songs a completely different feeling which is just not possible at home.

Any by the way; I occasionally dance because the music makes me, though normally I just stand there). I've been the only one in a group not on drugs many times. I go to clubs for the music, and that alone. I was hoping you wouldn't be so obvious in your comeback.

Speaking of Big Country, anyone remember that electronic track like 12~15 years ago that used a loop of In A Big Country? Fuck, man... Can't remember shit, bitch. Prolly some netlabel thing that like 30 people listened to, but I remember asking the artist what track was used for the loop.

Jev that was one intense post but you called out some great tracks I was surprised by. Really enjoying your contributions to the discussion lately, very refreshing after a sea of Rubin Farr pop culture fart chamber threads.

You misunderstood again.

Let the shitstorm begin.

No mate, you misunderstand again. The way you insist on there can be only one listening manner to discern a good track is fucking ridiculous. And not to mention as if music can never be so fucking amazing that it would coerce your whole body into moving and dancing. I've been to noise gigs before where I've just had to move, and dance because the energy created was just so intense. But it wasn't just the music. It was the sheer fucking volume/the venue/the lighting.... everything was making my body scream.

None of which would happen if I was sat at home.

Fourtet based all his EQ on some tracks from playing them at clubs, not in the studio, because it was not the environment for which it is intended. Kraftwerk went to clubs to listen to music, to see how music was actually absorbed by others; not in a sterile environment of a studio, but out in the real fucking world, where other stimuli combine. Why the fuck would anyone make a techno track and then work out if it was any good by sitting at home, without any other stimulus? No-one would ever listen to that music like that, why place boundaries on something, when those boundaries are of no relevance whatsoever. That extra 16 bars that might seem excessive sat at home? They probably fucking work in another environment. You cannot judge a track like that. And thinking there is ONLY music, and nothing else which impacts the enjoyment of it, is silly and myopic.

Even Autechre doing the whole "play in the dark, it's all about the music" thing, is still subject to other stimuli than just the music. Fuck, just the general atmosphere of everyone being on a similar level of concentration gives songs a completely different feeling which is just not possible at home.

Any by the way; I occasionally dance because the music makes me, though normally I just stand there). I've been the only one in a group not on drugs many times. I go to clubs for the music, and that alone. I was hoping you wouldn't be so obvious in your comeback.

You are right.

When I was writing the last post, I was very tired and now I see I failed to explain some of the context I intended to explain. No wonder you had to react like this.

I will try to summarize my train of thoughts in following points which in the end, hopefully, should give the intended context:

1. I dance (and/or do other physical moves) when it is absolutely impossible not to (music is so intense). Therefore I believe dancing can be truly authentic.
  2. As a "producer", during those years I have discovered that when I make music, I have to keep calm if possible because otherwise there would be mistakes that get lost during dancing/euphoria.
  3. As a "producer", during those years I have discovered that having too much fun while making a track often means the track is going to be disappointing when sober (after euphoria goes away). It is important to hear the track in as much circumstances (sober, tired, happy, sad) as possible. But the most important indicator the music is going to be good is when I am sober or a bit depressed. If the music is able to make my mood better and hit my emotions then it is an indicator it is going to be worthwhile. It is like a lovely girlfriend genuinely cheering you up when you feel low. Authentic and pure.
  4. I consider listening to the music to be the priority number one when enjoying the music.
  5. It is true that it can be hard to tell if somebody is genuinely enjoying music or just "trying hard to get into it" because he/she does not want to be disappointed (I experienced this many times when I was less experienced in music, where I forced myself to at least dance because otherwise the concert would be an unbearable discomfort and disappointment). I thought I missed something because others were "having fun". I was wrong. It was simply the music that I did not enjoy at all.
  6. Many people have low standards because high standards are harder to reach and requires patience. That is why, for example, there is so many divorced pairs. It is because they are unable to wait for the truly right match and because they start to date too soon (seeing others having a partner already). It is absolutely incomprehensible for me how can anybody marry somebody else after a year of dating (best wishes to those who had the luck and married the right-one this way). And this is similar to other stuff in life. For example, a kid lost in life starts to go out with other similar kids and because they don't know how to experience true fun and true emotions (psychological problems of some kind) they do drugs and alcohol instead. An easy way. They brain soon learns this way of wasting time and since then many of them is unable to experience fun and socialization in a different way. The brain set itself to low standards. And what happens in music? A group of people goes to party hoping there will be fun. Some of them are truly having fun but many of them just dance and behave according to others in order not to stick out. They will learn this and behave accordingly ever since. "If they enjoy the 4/4 all the night then I have to enjoy it too" - subconsciously of course. They think "This is it. This is what the music is about." while missing truly intense musical experiences requiring a bit of patience and self-control. It is similar to sex. What is more beautiful? A girl pretending orgasm one minute after you started or a girl that truly can't stand it anymore and lost herself in it after a careful, full-of-tension process? I prefer the second choice. Much more rewarding and memorable.
  7. I prefer music with longevity to music with wow-effect. Wow-effect based music is soon going to be pretty shallow most of the time because there is a high chance whoever did the track was biased by the wow-effect too, missing out all the other stuff that make good music. Wow-effect based music can also often indicate that whoever did the track was a shallow person.
  8. IMO, there is a general misconception that music is strictly subjective and that listening to it does not require to be experienced in listening. That is obviously wrong because music is just a sum of various building blocks occurring again and again in all music we listen to. Once you know the blocks, you have less trouble seeing the context they are placed in because you are not confused by the unknown blocks themselves. This is why repeated listening can change a track you didn't like to a track that you love. You suddenly know the context as it all started to make sense.

And just to give you an example I am a human being with emotions and not a rigid academic wanker:

Whenever I listen to Knut - Whacked Out and hear those tight, resonating drums, the metallic, full-of-dirt guitars and the angry bass playing, I have to punch my fist to my legs and my anger starts to grow. It is an excellent example of a piece of music I cannot resist to no matter how hard I try. Many of the tracks I have posted in the list have such an unbearable but pleasant effect on me.

So in my opinion, you just have to keep the standards high and be intensely rewarded in the end as you can control your emotions only to some extent. It then all goes mad and it is beautiful.

So I hope this is a much more informative post than those I have previously written.

PS: I keep the post as true to my train of thoughts as possible so if there is something I don't agree with the next time I re-read it I will explain/correct it in some other post. Sorry for the chaotic nature of it. It is a result of my ADHD thinking.

jev are you trying to tell me this isn't an authentic experience?

tumblr_novr1o9nYA1tl7j2uo1_500.gif

I would say it is indeed an authentic experience but not necessarily because of the music. Movement in a mass of people is fun in itself. Imagine marching soldiers without music. A huge collective driving force indeed. A psychological topic for hours of course. But I was not there so I am just speculating based on my experience with live shows of various kinds and knowing little about psychology and neurology.

EDIT: Oh, and the phones... Damn, now I am not sure if you was being sarcastic or not.

Edited by Jev

Guest Chesney

Another good post And I tend to agree on the whole in my own opinions. But you have to remember one thing Jev, you have not hacked life because you think this way and all the others you mentioned are below and blind. They all think the same about you not feeling it the way they are. Everyone thinks their "way" is superior.

My ideas are much like your but I accept that other opinions are just as valid if wrong ha.

Does this mean that I think I am above you because my opinion is similar but I am on a higher level because I accept others? yeah of course. I am the elite.

jk, good post man.

Just to add one more point to the previous post, because I cannot edit it anymore:

9. What is also remarkable is that many regular party-goers don't listen to music at all when not on a party. That says much about how much the parties are about music for them. But as I said, it is a complicated psychological topic IMO.

Sampled Big Country? crazy, would like to hear that.

Yes. Definitely want to hear this.

Okay- so I just remembered that the "track" I'm referring to was from a loop that played on the splash page for some homepage. Prolly someone who used to post on the Planet Mu Phorum or maybe xltronic. Anyway, it was just a loop of like half the main loop, with maybe ATR style breakbeats over it. ...Something.