IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

€800. Not cheap, but it feels expensive: the build quality is incredible, and playing it is already so enjoyable.

It'll take some time to get used to the silicone continuous keys: I don't know, for some reasons I expected them to have some kind of mechanical resistance underneath... and they don't, it's like playing chords and melodies on some flesh haha

Is it really responsive? Looks interesting.

Edited by Jev

Jev: it definitely is. As responsive/expressive as a nice electric guitar for example (first thing that springs to my mind). i don't feel like I'm playing a MIDI controller but a proper instrument that I have to learn and practice.

mcbpete: yup, my favorite piece of gear :)

I'll share audio examples whenever I have something worthy. I have to read the manual and spend some time setting it for Bazille and Diva before.

Jev: it definitely is. As responsive/expressive as a nice electric guitar for example (first thing that springs to my mind). i don't feel like I'm playing a MIDI controller but a proper instrument that I have to learn and practice.

mcbpete: yup, my favorite piece of gear :)

I'll share audio examples whenever I have something worthy. I have to read the manual and spend some time setting it for Bazille and Diva before.

Nice. Does it send standard MIDI data for everything it does?

the price of the seaboard is catrage inducing

:catrage: :catrage:

Erm. The RISE is fairly cheap compared to similar controllers:

http://www.buchla.com/product/buchla-lem218/

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/hakenaudiopricia.html

There will also be a KMI controller in the near future that works a bit like these and will be less expensive.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/10/20/polyphonic-multidimensional-controller-a-sneak-preview/

the price of the seaboard is catrage inducing

:catrage: :catrage:

Erm. The RISE is fairly cheap compared to similar controllers:

http://www.buchla.com/product/buchla-lem218/

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/hakenaudiopricia.html

There will also be a KMI controller in the near future that works a bit like these and will be less expensive.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/10/20/polyphonic-multidimensional-controller-a-sneak-preview/

May aswell add the Linnstrument to the list

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

Don't forget the gorgeous looking Madrona Labs Soundplane:

k1_table_m.jpg

Jev: it does. But it does it continuously, and in an extremely reactive and accurate way, hence the insane expressiveness you can get with such controllers.

I get the same feeling I get when playing an acoustic or electric instrument. Depending on how you patch your synth, you can make it sound insanely organic. And damn that's quite fantastic to play vibratos, filter sweeps, pitchbends, legatos... in a very natural way, without turning an encoder.

For example it's damn easy to mimic a theremin, or a violin, or an electric guitar with the Rise. As I type, I'm getting some Blade Runneresque pads out of the simplest patches... So for any synthesis geek, it opens so many possibilities. It's hella inspiring, I have millions of ideas, for all kind of sounds.

And I love the fact that it's something I can play. It's a real eye-opener how any digital synth can sound warm and vibey if you can make it react to the smallest variation of the pressure, and micro-movements of your fingers. No need to have drifting oscillators when you can simply modulate the pitch of each note that easily.

miim: it depends. I had to move a few times this year, so I'm taking the minimalistic path. Ideally, I'd love it to be as compact as possible... and I think I'm almost set. A year ago I dreamt of pilling synths, and now it's the opposite (same goes in my plugin folder). I'm almost set, building a simple yet inspiring computer-centered set-up. I'm just drooling over Push 2 and Zebra 3.

Now it's more about making the room cozy, and making music (finally).

k1_table_m.jpg

Jev: it does. But it does it continuously, and in an extremely reactive and accurate way, hence the insane expressiveness you can get with such controllers.

I get the same feeling I get when playing an acoustic or electric instrument. Depending on how you patch your synth, you can make it sound insanely organic. And damn that's quite fantastic to play vibratos, filter sweeps, pitchbends, legatos... in a very natural way, without turning an encoder.

For example it's damn easy to mimic a theremin, or a violin, or an electric guitar with the Rise. As I type, I'm getting some Blade Runneresque pads out of the simplest patches... So for any synthesis geek, it opens so many possibilities. It's hella inspiring, I have millions of ideas, for all kind of sounds.

And I love the fact that it's something I can play. It's a real eye-opener how any digital synth can sound warm and vibey if you can make it react to the smallest variation of the pressure, and micro-movements of your fingers. No need to have drifting oscillators when you can simply modulate the pitch of each note that easily.

miim: it depends. I had to move a few times this year, so I'm taking the minimalistic path. Ideally, I'd love it to be as compact as possible... and I think I'm almost set. A year ago I dreamt of pilling synths, and now it's the opposite (same goes in my plugin folder). I'm almost set, building a simple yet inspiring computer-centered set-up. I'm just drooling over Push 2 and Zebra 3.

Nice. Thank you.

k1_table_m.jpg

Yea ive just got too much shit and a big mixer, not as big as as i used to have but i can't get my feng shui

Xhw7ZcO.jpg

Just got myself a Blofeld, with the poly aftertouch and super good modulation routing I could really use a proper keyboard-esque input device now. All of the above looks p. amazing, especially the Rise.

Maybe a pressure sensitive pad controller would be neat to play melodic synths on, too, anyone here tried that?

Nice! I have a Blofeld (keyboard addition) and I love it, though it's my first (only) proper synth. Like you said, tons of modulation. Can modulate something like 12 different parameters on one patch and get some insaneee shit going. Do you have the upgrade with all the extra wavetables synthesis stuff?

Xhw7ZcO.jpg

Just got myself a Blofeld, with the poly aftertouch and super good modulation routing I could really use a proper keyboard-esque input device now. All of the above looks p. amazing, especially the Rise.

Maybe a pressure sensitive pad controller would be neat to play melodic synths on, too, anyone here tried that?

Blofeld has many bugs though. Some of them are critical and can completely ruin your work (my experience with the latest firmware). Great potential in Blofeld but there is many "but".

Edited by Jev

Guest Chesney

I have both desktop and keyboard. There are many bugs yes but you pick and choose your battles. The insanity of the options far outweigh the bugs. Once you know where they are you just don't go near them when tweaking live and recording. Easy to make it work. It's an amazing synth but a real shame it never really got finished.

Do not load the sample option to the desktop version if you like using the Init patches or random patch generator for ideas. Scrolling through those saved patches made from those will crash it.

Nice! I have a Blofeld (keyboard addition) and I love it, though it's my first (only) proper synth. Like you said, tons of modulation. Can modulate something like 12 different parameters on one patch and get some insaneee shit going. Do you have the upgrade with all the extra wavetables synthesis stuff?

16 I think, and then there's the 4 combination things. Dialing in some FM now, manual says you can get 6 operators if you use the LFO's... Don't have the wavetables/sample option I think (got it 2nd hand) but there's a user-built wavetable editor (here) that I'm going to try out.

The comb filters are way cool btw, haven't really used them before I got the blofeld.

Edited by th555