IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Live rig is almost done, just need to get a cheap midi interface/merge box for editing the Wavestation from a PC (since Arturia, in their wisdom, designed the Beatstep Pro so that it doesn't pass sysex data meaning it's basically useless as a serious USB midi interface), make a better enclosure for the MidiRex, build a little rack that holds it and the reverb pedal up behind the x0xb0x, and then figure get everything kind of mounted down on a couple of boards or aluminum frames or somethig so that I can pop it into two cases and go play a show with minimal patching. I'll probably use one of these Weber transformers to build a custom power supply for all of it, too, more to save space than anything else.

Can't happen fast enough, I haven't played a show in almost two years and it's making me crazy. Before I changed cities I was playing out constantly for a lot of years, and I don't really know how to not.

post-19174-0-86039100-1447289051_thumb.jpg

(The stuff in the rack cases isn't part of it, just what's out on the table).

Can't happen fast enough, I haven't played a show in almost two years and it's making me crazy. Before I changed cities I was playing out constantly for a lot of years, and I don't really know how to not.

attachicon.gif20151111 web.jpg

(The stuff in the rack cases isn't part of it, just what's out on the table).

Sweet rig. How do you like that Anushri?

I feel ya on itching that live scratch. It's been a while for me too.

The anushri is mostly great, although I need to tweak the CV calibration a bit. I made it a couple years ago but I didn't start using it with CV until recently, and I've got the tuning pretty good but for some reason the sub oscillators and the digital oscillator are sharp relative t the main oscillator since I switched to CV. I assume it's a calibration issue, maybe with the Beatstep Pro rather than the Anushri. The drum sound are pretty great to mix in with another module to thicken it up, too, although on their own they're kind of limited (and noisy). I'm not sure I'd recommend it for what they get now that they're discontinued but I got it after I returned a MicroBrute that showed up massively defective (pitch wheel jumped from center to full with no transition, sequencer didn't work at all) and for $175 and a day of soldering I couldn't be happier. The MicroBrute had a nice sounding filter and I like the waveform mixer but the Anushri really buried it soud and feature wise, and for less money back then.

The ultimate goal is to be able to build some sequences on the Beatstep (hopefully they'll actually get the bugs sorted, there are a few really ugly ones - the worst for me right now is that it doesn't output any trigger voltage on the first step of a sequence the first time through after you press play, which isn't insurmountable but sucks quite a bit), then record them on the MidiRex (it's a four track MIDI looper, and works more or less like an EHX 2880 except for MIDI data) and make some more to build an arrangement, then use the Beatstep to sequence transposition for the Rex while I tweak the Wavestation with the Beatstep in controller mode (and record the tweaks in the Rex).

Incidentally, those little Radio Shack speakers are great for mixing on. No low end but if I get stuff sounding balanced on them it seems to always translate, and the imaging's actually really good. I feel like in a small, untreated room like I'm using having weak lows is kind of a good thing. It's not like they'd be accurate anyway.

Just realized I forgot to link to the cheap MIDI merge/interface in my first post. It would seem to good to be true if I hadn't already looked at DIYing something similar (minus the USB) - there's really not much to them. With what a big manufacturer has to pay for materials and labor, $35 (that's what this goes for new on eBay right now) is actually a pretty fair price. It's more that the name brand stuff is kind of expensive for what it does.

It'll probably take a few weeks to get here from China, if it works I'll post something because who doesn't need one or two of those around?

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, Daniel Miller from Mute records talked about this very problem in a documentary I cannot find now. Might post it later if found.

Cool. :catfallen:

Found it: HERE from 1:47

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

rewired studio yesterday.

only really wrapped head around yesterday how inserts on mixers work, and how to do that 'mackie half click' method of sending pre-mixer audio into separate line-ins on audio interface. this discovery lead to the all important **unplug everything and rewire from scratch** routine. just a short coming of attempting to set up a hardware reliant setup from scratch without much prior knowledge and relying entirely on 'winging it', i guess :)

also got the MOOG SUB37 on weekend. which is ... absolutely ... marvelous.. and has instantly become my new favourite thing ever, instant 'centerpiece'.

so now have main instruments running into mixer with raw pre-mixer audio running into ableton as 6 seperate audio channels (audio interface has 8 inputs).

this new setup has got me buzzing so much.

the sub37 alone is fantastic, but getting it tempo synced with other gear and having the opportunity to tempo sync the arpeggiator/sequencer/LFOs etc. is just soooo frikkin sexy. its totally like a self contained wee little modular setup but using moog filters and parts.

ugh :)

Guest Chesney

Nice jam room man, great setup, glad to hear you're stoked on the sub37.

Here is mine just after rewire and move around.

tYVO2VE.jpg

8zlsPzx.jpg

1JisNL3.jpg

This is on the bench for fixing, found in a local loft when builders were doing a conversion.

j9U5UD1.jpg

rSZsYzo.jpg

Edited by Chesney

Don't know if it counts as a studio pic but fuck you, I'm posting it anyway. :emotawesomepm9:

Just the baes stacked up before they go to the studio for more recording/forgetting how to play anything,

FtTwdHu.jpg

Woa what's this amp, exterior looks a lot like my Orange (except for the color heh)

Take old amp parts, this one is mainly an old Orange rebuild them add some custom circuits and whatnot get a custom colour/faceplate BOOM = Hovercraft amps