IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

I just picked up fellow WATMMer Retrig's tr-707 and added it to the pile. I can finally control the fucking sequencer to my JX-3p to a pretty solid clock using the +5db trig out - so I can jam while tweaking a patch and midi-slaving my other gear together. I never thought this would be a reality until I grabbed a cirklon. Last night I had my pro-2 with a few sounds that I could play while I had my EMX, 707 and MPC1000 doing drum duties, my jx-3p doing some pads being sequenced internally and clocked by the 707 and finally my guitar hooked up and me jamming through a loop pedal.

Basically this is my favorite way to make music. I haven't opened up a DAW and I can pre-arrange and them jam out a song in one take moving from riff to riff. I can record to my old AKAI reel-to-reel I thought I had the hardware bug before, now I'm pretty sure I have hardware HIV or full-blown hardware AIDS.

I just picked up fellow WATMMer Retrig's tr-707 and added it to the pile. I can finally control the fucking sequencer to my JX-3p to a pretty solid clock using the +5db trig out - so I can jam while tweaking a patch and midi-slaving my other gear together. I never thought this would be a reality until I grabbed a cirklon. Last night I had my pro-2 with a few sounds that I could play while I had my EMX, 707 and MPC1000 doing drum duties, my jx-3p doing some pads being sequenced internally and clocked by the 707 and finally my guitar hooked up and me jamming through a loop pedal.

Basically this is my favorite way to make music. I haven't opened up a DAW and I can pre-arrange and them jam out a song in one take moving from riff to riff. I can record to my old AKAI reel-to-reel I thought I had the hardware bug before, now I'm pretty sure I have hardware HIV or full-blown hardware AIDS.

That sounds like a great setup.

How's the Phenol?

Sounds quite gritty, in parts nasty. It has a character of its own, especially the delay on the master and the envelope generators that are capable of looping. It's a good tool to dive down the weirder FM / PWM pits. Thats why i bought it. Also the way patching is introduced with banana cable multiples and the possiblity to literally patch everything to everything is quite unique.

Edited by Psychotronic

looks like it's the season for rewiring setups.. excuse the shitty photo

2SqfO7l.jpg

Yamaha CBX-K1

Roland JV-1010

Behringer Virtualizer Pro (dormant for now, got plans for it though)

Korg KP3+

Monomachine

Electribe ES-1

Behringer RV600

MIDI path going CBX -> Monomachine -> Electribe -> JV -> KP3, with everything including KP3 X/Y pad values being sequenced by Monomachine.

I just got the JV-1010 yesterday; I was looking for a simple General MIDI rompler to add some orch hits and slap bass (among other cheesy sounds) to my tracks, but the JV can do so much more, holy shit. I wasn't even expecting that level of awesomeness. Certainly makes my analog gear seem like a bunch of toys.

I haven't even hooked it up to be sequenced by the Monomachine yet; I can imagine it'll get super ridiculous.

Only problem is that this was supposed to be my live setup :facepalm: perhaps I need to look into getting it all into a rack or something.

I figured you had more gear than that Modey. When did the JV-1010 come out, looks like an early 90s keyboard? And shit man, you don't need much more than a MM and the Elective, those two are such powerhouses. Do you use the old iMac for music?

Also, nice fedora. :D

sent using magic space waves

I figured you had more gear than that Modey. When did the JV-1010 come out, looks like an early 90s keyboard? And shit man, you don't need much more than a MM and the Elective, those two are such powerhouses. Do you use the old iMac for music?

Also, nice fedora. :D

sent using magic space waves

I've got a bunch of other gear, but I don't use it much anymore so I put it aside; gonna sell some of it. I didn't include my guitar rack either since it's remained largely unchanged for the past few years! Might sell a couple of those as well, I really don't need 9 of them.

I'm planning to use the old imac, yeah! Not sure what for though, maybe I'll downgrade it to OS 9 and chuck some old weird audio software on it.. Any suggestions welcome!

Oh yeah, it's not really a fedora, but it's close enough that I felt a bit self-conscious about wearing it in public for a while.. Only recently have I thought "fuck it" and started wearing it again, since it's been sunny again recently and I look really weird in a baseball cap, so..

Oh and yeah! The Yamaha is the keyboard on the left. Late 90s, I think? It's that imac-style transparent blue. So cool.

Edited by modey

• 2 weeks later...
Here is some of it..
Mods_zps3r7rusez.jpg

Not usually set up on my desk like that, but every so often it's nice to do. Have picked up a couple other modules since this pic.

Not visible is dead laptop henge, and the place where MIDI controllers go to die.

as far as the iMac goes, look at getting some synth editor like sounddiver. Then you can edit that 1010 :)

ah yeah good point! I'm using ctrlr at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure that it works. tbh though, the preset sounds on the 1010 are pretty great for what I want..

TechDiff, looks like a fun setup. What do you use the laptop for, recording?

Depends what I'm doing really. Sometimes just recording, sometimes effects, sometimes more.

At the moment, I've got things set up pretty fun. Beatstep Chan 1 is sending pitch & gate to modular. Chan 2 is setup for hz/V & S-trig to MS20. Top row of drum pads is sent as MIDI to some 808 style drum synths I made in Reaktor. Bottom row is used both as extra triggers for modular, and MIDI to more Reaktor drums.

I'm using the Beatstep as the main clock source. Clock out to drive modular sequencers (would also use to sync Echophon but it fluctuates too much) and clock over MIDI to sync Reaktor. As well as drum synths, Reaktor is also running some live sampler/loopers so I can either sample something from the modular and mash it about, or load some breaks or whatever.

I've been making some additional glitchy effect things, which I'd hoped to play with the Beatstep pads & knobs when in 'Control Mode'. It works ok, but the Beatstep knobs feel proper shitty for twiddling because of the notching. Tried using an old Maschine controller cos the encoders are pretty nice, but it's a big bit of kit for such a small task. Should look for something more suitable I guess.

The logic piano roll.

Yes. Also checking facebook, plus waiting for Beatstep firmware updates.

TechDiff, looks like a fun setup. What do you use the laptop for, recording?

Depends what I'm doing really. Sometimes just recording, sometimes effects, sometimes more.

At the moment, I've got things set up pretty fun. Beatstep Chan 1 is sending pitch & gate to modular. Chan 2 is setup for hz/V & S-trig to MS20. Top row of drum pads is sent as MIDI to some 808 style drum synths I made in Reaktor. Bottom row is used both as extra triggers for modular, and MIDI to more Reaktor drums.

I'm using the Beatstep as the main clock source. Clock out to drive modular sequencers (would also use to sync Echophon but it fluctuates too much) and clock over MIDI to sync Reaktor. As well as drum synths, Reaktor is also running some live sampler/loopers so I can either sample something from the modular and mash it about, or load some breaks or whatever.

I've been making some additional glitchy effect things, which I'd hoped to play with the Beatstep pads & knobs when in 'Control Mode'. It works ok, but the Beatstep knobs feel proper shitty for twiddling because of the notching. Tried using an old Maschine controller cos the encoders are pretty nice, but it's a big bit of kit for such a small task. Should look for something more suitable I guess.

The logic piano roll.

Yes. Also checking facebook, plus waiting for Beatstep firmware updates.

Checking Facebook is very important. :)

Sounds like a good starting place for writing and recording, everything is simply accessible but still so much (the modular/MS20) is highly flexible. I'm from the school of do with what you have so if you've already got a Maschine controller that you like the knobs for, I'm sure you can find some other way to utilize the rest of the device, or at least a way to keep it to the side so its bulk isn't in your way. Great set up all around.