IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

...it took me over a year to complete through trial and error. which isn't that long but i went through, like, 30 different machines, constantly buying and selling.

Wow. I wouldn't have energy for that.

oh man. "over a year" doesn't sound too bad!!! nice work man

I would be nervous about re-selling those stuff. Definitely a nice work.

thanks. it was kinda fun, but also frustrating because i was always so close, yet also kinda far.

most expensive synth i had was a roland mc202, which was fairly disappointing for the inflated nostalgia price (the cv/gate latency was just unbearable sometimes), althought i do miss the amazing melodic filter. other than that - i kept the prices rather low, and usually knew pretty much off the bat if the synths gonna work. i ain't no collector so if it didn't fit it had to go. i basically made an initila investment of about 400 quid and kept selling and buying until it was done. kinda like the paperclip for a house thing.

lol, I bought an MPC 1000 and was disappointed, then I bought Blofeld and was quite disappointed again, then I bought Focal CMS 40s and was disappointed again. So I stick with my notebook and free VST plugins and refuse to buy anything HW anymore (maybe better speakers sometimes and acoustic treatment when I stop changing homes). It would be a torturous process for me what you have experienced.

i ain't no collector so if it didn't fit it had to go. i basically made an initila investment of about 400 quid and kept selling and buying until it was done. kinda like the paperclip for a house thing.

I should start doing this.. or at least, I should start selling some stuff. I'm considering selling off my analog gear (microbrute, volca, monotron) but am slightly worried that I'll start to miss it. I should probably just let it go though, I'm having much more fun with digital gear.

Yeah, stick with the software, but get some good monitoring conditions!

+1

Which softwares do you use Jev?

Edited by Nil

HW is great if that's what you need for your, um, vision . i've seen so many people waste silly money on instruemnts just to recreate what tey were doing in ableton, only WITH HARDWARe because for some reason people think it's better to spend 20 minutes slicing up a sample in electribe than just do it in 5 seconds in ableton.

Yeah, stick with the software, but get some good monitoring conditions!

+1

Which softwares do you use Jev?

Reaper, Live, Pure Data are in constant use. I basically use free/stock VST only.

Currently I am trying to see a potential in Jeskola Buzz but what I really need now is conditional composition tools in a VST form so I can stop using Pure Data (because of sync and comfort reasons). I might try to learn Reaktor but I am not sure yet as I already put a lot of hours into Pure Data and saw this. I might also try to learn some basic MIDI manipulation with Reaper's JSFX but I am lazy.

HW is great if that's what you need for your, um, vision . i've seen so many people waste silly money on instruemnts just to recreate what tey were doing in ableton, only WITH HARDWARe because for some reason people think it's better to spend 20 minutes slicing up a sample in electribe than just do it in 5 seconds in ableton.

True. If the HW really drives your energy to create then use HW. I am not really a performance kind of guy. I need precision control and unlimited possibilities.

Guest Chesney

Taken me nearly 10 years to be happy with what I have of constant buying selling, searching etc. There is no point keeping stuff if you don't use them. I use everything regularly in my current setup apart from the sk50d but that is in it's case because another synth is sat on top of it. In fact I shall sell the stratus which is what I use the least them I can uncase the SK50d.

Unfortunately I have gear lust, I just love it. But I can totally curb it because I am content with my setup and if I really want something something else has to go to make way so I really need to justify the buy.

I totally agree with people trimming the fat to just what they need and if that is just software and good monitors then that wicked. Not everyone needs gear, it's a luxury if anything, not needed.

I'd like to hear some of your stuff Jev, PM me if you're down with letting me?

Yeah, I have to confess, I now do everything digital in the box. I'll probably sell my U-220, DrumStation and QuadraVerb soon. Plug-ins are fine for samples and effects, and samples are fine for things like 808 and 909 drum sounds, which I'm kinda going off again anyway in favour of wiring up my own patches. One (admittedly sprawling) synth is enough for me.

But it's the subconscious part of your brain that makes the purchasing decisions, and I apparently needed to get the whole 90s bedroom studio thing out of my system. Thankfully, I stopped short of getting an old Akai sampler I wouldn't have used either. :)

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd suggest commissioning session singers and musicians. I'd only consider getting some more equipment if it does something I can't already do easily enough. The same goes for commissioning people, but there's plenty there I can't do!

The best stuff to put money into are quality speakers, quality headphones and acoustic treatment imo.

Edited by Jev

Yeah, anything that feeds your creativity. Some of us need some sort outboard gear to feed that. I'm stuck in front of a computer screen clicking away all day at work, if making music was just more of the same I wouldn't ever feel the urge.

SoCal Bro sets up studio in Starbucks:

c09KCXq.jpg

lol u can't do that bro

What kills me is the computer monitor - I mean, a laptop, sure - but a fucking HDTV and as big as that (and curved from the look of it). What a showoff.

Guest bitroast

The Priority Mail boxes as keyboard support are very Ulililia-like

not as bad as using manga books as keyboard support.

not that i am admitting to having such a thing in my setup.

all i am saying is they're the perfect size to stack and angle certain things as needed.

Edited by bitroast

Anyone else double check to see if it was Anthony Fantano or notice the suspicious looking cheese near his iPhone collection?

Yes

SoCal Bro sets up studio in Starbucks:

c09KCXq.jpg

My mum was complaining that she went to Starbucks in the US with my sister and it was freezing outside, but every table and chair had been taken by some little twunt with a laptop or mobile device, their coffees consumed long ago. Starbucks really need to do something about this, they will lose genuine customers for unchivalrous kids, there for the free wifi or to pose or whatever was going on.

They would have gone to a normal cafe, but it's not a big town, and does the US have those and my sister lorl.

is.....is that...........is that a keytar on his lap?

No it's a penis warmer with an unusual interface to control environmental settings within the trousers. /next level note, if you play gminor7 it activates the massage setting ..