IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Anyone got any tips to stop cats from walking all over sequencers/synths and ruining hours of work?

apparently putting a box on the desk is like a magnet for the cats and they sit in there and leave you alone. I can't see how this would be foolproof though, especially in the winter when there nice warm electronic equipment to lounge on. Maybe up a spare 303 in the box. Now there's a photo I'd like to see.

replace your cats with dogs

Spend he rest of your life picking up their shit from random places in the garden, if you haven't already stood on it accidently. Plus have passive aggressive neighbours that hav had dick of your dogs barking every time you go out.

/dogs, the solution for nothing.

everyone in our neighborhood has loud ass dogs so we're good there. we also have a huge backyard and i've only stepped in shit like once or twice while mowing

get over it man. dogs rule. cats drool

I am wondering, do you guys with such gear quantities have well-paid jobs or are you just not worrying about having a financial backup in case of trouble etc? Or were you able to get the stuff cheap/second-hand? That is a lot of money in some of the pics in this thread so I am asking how do you manage the financial side of the hobby. Thanks.

I am wondering, do you guys with such gear quantities have well-paid jobs or are you just not worrying about having a financial backup in case of trouble etc? Or were you able to get the stuff cheap/second-hand? That is a lot of money in some of the pics in this thread so I am asking how do you manage the financial side of the hobby. Thanks.

Drug dealin'. Duh. printing paper player.

re: cats. Maybe try to pour a drop or two of lemon essential oil, or something repulsive like that, on your studio desk? Just thinking out loud here.

The equipment is the financial backup! :cisfor:

Yeah, might be. How difficult is to sell a piece of gear without going really low with price?

everyone in our neighborhood has loud ass dogs so we're good there. we also have a huge backyard and i've only stepped in shit like once or twice while mowing

get over it man. dogs rule. cats drool

I must add that dog barking, whether one is pottering around the house, or specially when you are trying to compose music or sleep, the random staccato attack on your aural senses is practically unbearable.

nwae, people make allowances for the things they love, and I like a nice doggie as much as th next person, I'm just glad that the guy next door to me remembers to replace the batteries in his giant dog's antibark shock collar, most of the time, when he doesn't, it's hours of roof wroof wroofing, which I guess people don't notice cause they're at work, I do cause I work in the night, it's the same on the weekend though when the family goes out.

I'm not anti dog, I'm anti dog barking and shitting, and on balance anti dog ownership, leaving a pack animal all alone most of the time being torturous and all that shit, but society isn't going to change any time soon so whatever, and I'm not casting aspersions. So more specifically I'll restate my statement,

if you wanna write complicated music and are easily bothered by outside noises.

/dogs the solution for nothing, on balance, when you think about it and if you don't already own one.

hahahahahaha.

Some of the lushestly appointed studios appear to be from Scandinavia, maybe they just get paid better over there. On the other end of the scale, yeah everyone with US studios must be dealing dank. Or a trust puppie or something.

Guest Chesney

I guess for me I was really lucky that when I was going to be laid off form work I have the opportunity to buy the business on a real good deal. Best thing I ever did as I find it hard working for people. We don't make alot of money at all but can have small bonuses when we get a good piece of work. Also, I have no vices apart from music gear so I can easily save up as I don't buy posh clothes, smoke, drink that much etc etc.

I have bought and sold so much equipment to get the pieces that work for me that I kind of just gradually built up to a point where I could afford more expensive equipment buy sacrificing other pieces. Most things are of an age so have been second hand and had some great deals and finds. I think the only things I bought new are from pre ordering new gear (moog sub37, Analogfour, Blofeld)

I don't make much money but yeah I do tend to spend most of my disposable income on music gear. I don't really have any money saved at the moment though so if things ever get super desperate I'll just sell a bunch of records or something.

thanks duder :)

whats your more favorite piece of gear? the bass station? I wanted to get one at some point but for now the TAL VSTs still do it for me

i reckon it will become the modular, but currently i have loads of love for the mfb synth lite ii - fantastic and underrated synth that i've used on loads of tracks. the bass station is also really good of course, but i don't think i've explored it fully really...plan to get much more into all my gear now it's actually accessible and usable.

i have a decent income i guess but a lot of the gear has been bought bit by bit over a few years, plus i've also sold loads of stuff etc... i'm pretty happy with my setup now but do want to get a nice poly synth and a new drum machine (acidlab drumatix looks tasty) at some point and i'm lucky enough to be able to afford this kind of stuff without too much worry...only thing now is i'm fairly old(ish) and have so many other (boring) things to buy that are probably more sensible (furniture, garden stuff, suits, general home improvements etc)...it's hard to justify to my other half why i need to spend £800 on a new synth when i have a whole room full already and they provide no real practical benefit. and i haven't even got kids. yet.

edit: also, synthesizers are a great investment and you can resell for good money most of the time. if you've bought well and got something desirable you can get a good return in a short space of time.

Edited by BCM

save up some cash, buy some stuff cheap, sell not that cheap, repeat until satisfactory.

good tip is - learn about popular defects like dead batteries and stuff that make keyboard appear nonfuctioning. this way you can buy a supposedly 'dead' keyboard for 30 euros and sell it for 300 after replacing a 1eur battery or something. like dx7, poly800, etc. unless you were unlucky and it really was just dead. a guy i know bought a very rare crumar for 100 euros that was 'untested' and it turned out there was no electronics inside it.

be smart, generally speaking.

re: cats. Maybe try to pour a drop or two of lemon essential oil, or something repulsive like that, on your studio desk? Just thinking out loud here.

That's a good idea. Cats hate citrusy aromas.

Seriously though, stay away from dj tools such as synthesizers and drum machines. You'll just end up making 4/4 garbage that idiots like.

Edited by Gocab

Guest Chesney

Regarding buying and selling gear, it's good to get a deal and flip it if you do not get on with it but people buy to sell alot and drive the price up for the people who want to genuinely use the things for music. It's getting pretty ridiculous out there.

The mind should be on whether the machine is good for their music not how much can be made from a resale.

It's nice if people fight over something you're selling on ebay and you get profit that way, that's happened a few times but generally if I get what I paid back or if less it's what I think it's worth, i'm happy. Selling new things though, you should expect things to devalue pretty fast.