IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

It's pretty intuitive.

Even for micro-editing kind of stuff?

Depends on how micro you want to go. It's best for quickly bashing out ideas, laying the ground work, then you can proceed to go all anal with it.
Ehm... you were talking about the touchpad on the laptop, I was talking about ableton push for some unknown reason. Sorry.

mouse is nice but you just need that dex ukno. can do anything if you practice. the push beats a mouse by a long shot for many tasks.

that's a sexy desk. what is it?

i just got two 2' x 4' 3/4" birch ply and then cut three 2' sections of 1" x 4" and put it together with drywall screws.

it has exactly 2U of space inside. i got the legs from etsy...

Edited by sheathe

Guest bitroast

re: sheath orig pic. is that a push to the right ? wouldn't that ... theoretically.. render the trackpad/mouse question pointless? ideally? because the push is the 'go-to'. ?

Damn, I would love to have a controller designed for controlling a VST EQs. Like very precise encoders with various acceleration modifiers.

I dunno why but I am in a different state of mind when EQing with knobs vs dragging mouse.

Damn, I would love to have a controller designed for controlling a VST EQs. Like very precise encoders with various acceleration modifiers.

I dunno why but I am in a different state of mind when EQing with knobs vs dragging mouse.

Novation Automap controllers are exactly that. The software 'wraps' the plugin and maps all on screen controls to a knob or button on the device. Many plugins have already been pre mapped so their layouts are usually more logical than when you wrap an unknown plugin. Its piss-easy to remap them though to how it suits you. The higher end Novation controllers have more knobs and sliders etc and all of them can set the resolution and acceleration rates. The Impulse range and the Remote SL range are the Automap ones, the cheaper launchpad ones don't unfortunately.

I don't mind mousing in some types of automation but tweaking a filter is just plain weird imo.

Sorry for OT

mouse is nice but you just need that dex ukno. can do anything if you practice. the push beats a mouse by a long shot for many tasks.

that's a sexy desk. what is it?

i just got two 2' x 4' 3/4" birch ply and then cut three 2' sections of 1" x 4" and put it together with drywall screws.

it has exactly 2U of space inside. i got the legs from etsy...

ah yeah, it's really the legs that make it. i've been toying w/building my own desk but springing for some bamboo ply and with a dark stain

Novation Automap controllers are exactly that. The software 'wraps' the plugin and maps all on screen controls to a knob or button on the device. Many plugins have already been pre mapped so their layouts are usually more logical than when you wrap an unknown plugin. Its piss-easy to remap them though to how it suits you. The higher end Novation controllers have more knobs and sliders etc and all of them can set the resolution and acceleration rates. The Impulse range and the Remote SL range are the Automap ones, the cheaper launchpad ones don't unfortunately.

I don't mind mousing in some types of automation but tweaking a filter is just plain weird imo.

Sorry for OT

I have SL keys and automap but I have never found it to be very intuitive. Mainly because you need much more encoders than Novation controllers can provide for basic precise and intuitive EQ work (3 encoders per band + filter selection). Also, precision modifiers should be togglable. Also the layout is not good.

Edited by Jev

the twister is so useful. invaluable for hard-mapped parameters for live performance. the best solution to the push being too annoyingly good at automapping to everything (yeah i use 16 macros and lock the push to it, and also the push in user mode, but it's just not as dependable).

the only thing about the twister is, what is the point of endless encoders if they aren't locked to the present value of the parameter? the apc40's encoders indicate the value of the parameters selected, and i was hoping for similar behavior on the twister.

for instance, i can't figure out how to map the twister to a set, save the set, and then later plug the twister back in and have the parameters represented on the encoders' light rings. instead, when i load up a set for live, the twister is automatically at zero for every encoder, and i have to quickly bring all the knobs to the right level before starting.

Edited by sheathe

From what I've read, the Amphion might be exactly what I need.

Heh you too?! :)

But i have another prob... I'm not sure whether to buy Amphions one15 + amphion amp and amphion cables (cca 3300 euros) or machindrum + monomachine. One of my PMC TB2 passives died 3 yrs ago so i've been using Yamahas hs50m + audiothechnica ath-m50 phones ever since. The problem is that i'm a software/inthebox guy, i mean i can make music with anything, with a rope and two stics if must and i'm not sure the electrons would help me make better music, (see my sc link?) cause i rarely make idm or beat oriented music. But i was always kind of interested in mnm and md and those two machines are only pieces of hw that i'm interested in (besides of computers, interfaces, midi controlers and speakers).

On the other hand, good monitoring is crucial. Also, i'm not intersted in other speakers, for the price.

What watmm? Wat?!

Edited by xox

Guest Chesney

Elektrons are just fun and of a really good quality. You can get lots of mileage from them in any genre if you so wish. People talk about limits with types of music but that's in their head. They do have limits though, they can steer you into 4/4 64step hell if you let them. If you make a concerted effort to make a song and not a loop then you can break out and make some really interesting things with them, even evolving beatless scapes. The MM and MD are my favourite as in architecture although I love the A4 too. The only things that let them down is the micro timing and lack of different pattern lengths. But the right timed sample can really make the micro timing issue into a really playful and sometimes better alternative.

In my opinion, monitors are a must but they are a boring purchase. If your monitors are too good it can make you very over analytical and lose feel but also it can make your music better if you strive for that really produced clean sound. If you want colour and grit then you can use any decent monitors.

If you try a second hand Elektron and do not get on with it then you can always resell for what you bought it for, no problem.

I'd recommend the MD to everyone as it's the best drum machine in my eyes although what I get out of it will be different to what people look for so I can understand why people don't feel it.

I have only recently gotten a MM and used it for an hour or so tops but it was instant and has already contributed to a track. Really fun, can't wait to get using it as a midi sequencer as it's better than the MD.

I borrowed a MM from a friend for about a month, had a good bit of fun with it. I didnt experience any issues with the learning curve, but I'm sure that's not the case for everyone. You can really get some interesting sounds, and you can get boring sounds, but to really hone in on something rich and full and unique yet still pleasing is a touch more difficult. Certainly a unique box, and I really do love the PLocks/Elektron workflow. Planning on purchasing a RYTM this year when I can secure funds.

sent using magic space waves

@xox

i'll tell you what i'm doing and maybe that will help you decide for yourself.

i am borrowing an alrite 5" monitor from a friend, and i also use my old marshall amp which cuts out here and there. i use those if i want to play loud. i play in mono. i don't monitor my laptop. i use $60 audio technica headphones. from listening on multiple speakers i have become proficient at EQing. i pretty much know where problem areas are going to be before i even make a track.

do i want some yamaha HS8s? yeah. but i'm buying a monomachine first. (or maybe an octatrack)

@xox

i'll tell you what i'm doing and maybe that will help you decide for yourself.

i am borrowing an alrite 5" monitor from a friend, and i also use my old marshall amp which cuts out here and there. i use those if i want to play loud. i play in mono. i don't monitor my laptop. i use $60 audio technica headphones. from listening on multiple speakers i have become proficient at EQing. i pretty much know where problem areas are going to be before i even make a track.

do i want some yamaha HS8s? yeah. but i'm buying a monomachine first. (or maybe an octatrack)

Yes, i know what you mean... and i can say that as of the last night i'm leaning towards elektrons, today even more.

The only problem i see now is in the money that i thought i have but this morning i find out that i''ll probably have to pay the full amound od 74 million euros for my phd scholarship, or at least more than i thought i will. New hospital menagment, new rules. fak!

How i see it now is that in the worst-case scenario i'll be dead before i buy them, in the second worst i'll buy them in late summer, early autumn (but will i find them in stores is another question due to new low prices). The best possible outcome is that i'll have them on my desk next month.

I know I'd rather be ITB with a fantastic set of monitors (in a nice sounding room) than hybrid/OTB with monitors I don't totally trust (it'd drive mad).

So yes, I'd buy the Amphions (and am currently saving for a set of One15s). I'd add that I'm genuinely happy ITB, and that my Roli Rise has tempered my GAS, big time.

I know I'd rather be ITB with a fantastic set of monitors (in a nice sounding room) than hybrid/OTB with monitors I don't totally trust (it'd drive mad).

So yes, I'd buy the Amphions (and am currently saving for a set of One15s). I'd add that I'm genuinely happy ITB, and that my Roli Rise has tempered my GAS, big time.

I understand you cause that's how i feel (felt?) ...except for md and mnm. Reasons why i'm considering those machines now is their new (lowered) prices and of course, i do have a genuine interest in those machines from the start, more than in others.