IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Does WATMM have any recs for cheapish reverb and delay pedals? I'm currently looking at the TC HOF and Flashback, and the digitech polara and obscura. Ps. Needs to be stereo.

i have both the polara and obscura and they are amazing. the polara is super lush and the obscura can do some interesting things (i got it because i was interested in the degrade options, but it does clean stuff really well too obviously).

I need to check both of those out some time. A bit out of my price range these days but I bet they'd be really nice to have around.

Edited by RSP

^^^ if you're interested look into the Digitech hardwire line. obscura and polara are basically newer versions/upgrades from what i gather. i haven't heard the hardwire delay but my friend has the verb which is great and one of the reasons i went for the polara.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have an old tsr-12 rack module, but I want something with knobs I can fondle while making lush endlessly looping/feedbacking ambient drones. I meant cheapish as in not eventide/strymon. Thanks though!

HOF is good. it's not ultra tweakable but the decay time knob is a go-to.

get a roland dep-5. it weighs 10 pounds and hisses and is beautiful and is cheaper than a pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing how many of you also have the ikea kallax somehow in your studio

iAT3Nf1.jpg

So i come here mostly for insight and assistance. After years, i have gotten all my machines unified and plugged into a mixer in proximity to each other, which is a personal feat on its own

What i can't quite make a decision on is 1. how i want to get all of these midi connected so that they are in perfect sync and sequenced from my computer and 2. if i want to keep them all in this exact layout for ease of use

Midi has always been kind of a headache for me so plz help

For what it's worth, from left to right i have a Yamaha rx-5, Roland jp-08, Boss dr-880, Roland tb-3 (meh), Korg microkorg, Yamaha DX, Korg ea-1, Korg minilogue, Mackie profx16, Korg es-1, Roland sh-01, Korg er-1, Roland tr-909, Roland tb-03, and Roland tr-8

iAT3Nf1.jpg

So i come here mostly for insight and assistance. After years, i have gotten all my machines unified and plugged into a mixer in proximity to each other, which is a personal feat on its own

What i can't quite make a decision on is 1. how i want to get all of these midi connected so that they are in perfect sync and sequenced from my computer and 2. if i want to keep them all in this exact layout for ease of use

For what it's worth, from left to right i have a Yamaha rx-5, Roland jp-08, Boss dr-880, Roland tb-3 (meh), Korg microkorg, Yamaha DX, Korg ea-1, Korg minilogue, Mackie profx16, Korg es-1, Roland sh-01, Korg er-1, Roland tr-909, Roland tb-03, and Roland tr-8

Nice looking studio there bud

midi thru box ? 

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/m-thru-5.shtml

so computer midi out, into thru box, and then get some midi chains going out from the thru box to ease the midi chain a bit. 

Yeah that's what i figured but like i'm not entirely sure how to maintain chains. Like for example i had my 909 going thru the tr-8 then the tb-03 then the er-1 and it seemed like each machine added another fraction of delay, so the er-1 was slightly behind. Maybe the age difference of each device held the signal back?

I'm thinking i need to strategically put only 2-3 machines in each chain or something

I'm sure there are simple solutions to this but i will gladly showcase my ignorance if it helps get my question answered lol

Sweet selection!

We use a M-Audio USB MIDIsport 8x8/s (although it just recently may have died) - you may have more than 8 bits of kit you want hooked up at once but just sticking with using the 8 ports for each individual synth could help focus your work - sometimes having too much options just slows you down

but as mentioned about you could just get a Thru box and do it that way also, but I think the more you chain something the more you introduce slight amounts of latency, but I doubt it'd be enough to through everything off

Guest bitroast

ya even with the thru box you'll be chaining, and then you could put things that you know cause lag at the end of chains, or synths that don't have midi outs (blofeld.. i'm looking at you!!)

Yo, any folks here with Mac Minis or Macbook Airs? Are they good enough for Ableton/Logic fuck arounding?

I'm thinking about replacing my Thinkpad with something on the cheaper side of the Macs, I just miss the OS... plus ASIO has been getting on my nerves tbqh

iAT3Nf1.jpg

Nice looking studio there bud

Agreed, great selection of pieces, I'm sure it's a ton of fun!

Yo, any folks here with Mac Minis or Macbook Airs? Are they good enough for Ableton/Logic fuck arounding?

I'm thinking about replacing my Thinkpad with something on the cheaper side of the Macs, I just miss the OS... plus ASIO has been getting on my nerves tbqh

I'm running a Mac Mini, have been for years. Can run some decently intense Ableton projects, though I don't often use lots of large wave files or anything, I do often run multiple synths (very rarely VSTs though I use Max4Live often), effects chains, multiple sends/returns, external hardware control and external live audio processing, etc., with nary an issue. Will likely upgrade to SSDs soon. Mac/Ableton will likely stop supporting this hardware in the next 5 years, unfortunately, so that's an issue for me (maybe not for you if you get a new model). Don't know if you can get the processor and RAM up in an Air to any levels for music making beyond some smaller/lighter Ableton projects, so I can't help if you're interested in that route. Feel free to get at me with any more specific questions.

gS8K8Jn.jpg

Hautlle, that looks like you've had a lot of fun putting together. What size is that on the modular pieces? Looks different than the usual eurorack size I'm used to seeing everywhere

Hautlle, that looks like you've had a lot of fun putting together. What size is that on the modular pieces? Looks different than the usual eurorack size I'm used to seeing everywhere

Just normal eurorack 3U size. The case is 104hp and will hold 12U when full.

Oh okay, I'm thinking maybe that a lot of the knobs and modules are larger/chunkier than I often see on Eurorack stuff that must've made me think it was a different format/size.

The knobs are definitely bigger/chunkier since I'm using standard shaft pots and knobs with set screws. The nice soft rubber Rogan knobs MI uses are hella expensive and D-shaft only AFAIK.

Edited by hautlle

I just realized - Modulars are really the Warhammer 40k of making music.

Buy this, solder that, customize this, buy a new case, buy more patch cables, ect. and so forth. 

Next thing you know you're freaking out because your 'pewter metallic fleck blue #14' is running out and you still have 6 figurines to paint.

I just realized - Modulars are really the Warhammer 40k of making music.

Buy this, solder that, customize this, buy a new case, buy more patch cables, ect. and so forth. 

Next thing you know you're freaking out because your 'pewter metallic fleck blue #14' is running out and you still have 6 figurines to paint.

you're thinking of the 5u/motm users who at one point were almost gonna get into HO gauge model trains but then got into modulars and pony tails but can still wear a train engineer's hat and have it make sense when in front of the modular. 

quick question for all the gear caves:

Is it bad to have everything turned on and plugged into a 'master' plug in the wall - the turning everything on and off by simply plugging it in or out (or if there's a switch on the outlet, flick it)?

Personally haven't been doing this, but often wondered if it was safe or not...just to save time reaching those awkward power switches on each of the individual gear