Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

quick question for all the gear caves:

Is it bad to have everything turned on and plugged into a 'master' plug in the wall - the turning everything on and off by simply plugging it in or out (or if there's a switch on the outlet, flick it)?

Personally haven't been doing this, but often wondered if it was safe or not...just to save time reaching those awkward power switches on each of the individual gear

Guest Chesney

I wouldn't. Everything I have is running off a double socket but I only turn on what i'm using. Sometimes i'll warm up some old analogues just for the sake of it so lots could be on at the same time. Fuck having everything ready at the flick of one switch, i'd be afraid of blowing something.

quick question for all the gear caves:

Is it bad to have everything turned on and plugged into a 'master' plug in the wall - the turning everything on and off by simply plugging it in or out (or if there's a switch on the outlet, flick it)?

Personally haven't been doing this, but often wondered if it was safe or not...just to save time reaching those awkward power switches on each of the individual gear

I have always imagined each machine needs to be shut down individually, like computers. Some of them have certain "shut down processes" and you shouldn't just cut off the power to them. This is just how I've always seen it, could be vastly inaccurate but i'd rather be safe than sorry

I have always imagined each machine needs to be shut down individually, like computers. Some of them have certain "shut down processes" and you shouldn't just cut off the power to them. This is just how I've always seen it, could be vastly inaccurate but i'd rather be safe than sorry

Some do, some don't.  Even some computers don't.  I never had to shut down a C64, or DOS, but always shut down UNIXes properly.  It depends on the firmware and OS, when it saves files, if it can multitask (so is likely to be doing lots of things in the background besides what the user's seeing), etc.  I know our step sequencer's fine to turn off at any time, and I vaguely remember using a sampler which was too.

Basically, yeah, if it has a shutdown process, use it.

just moved house and my home "studio" is a fucking mess and the feng shui is all out wrong...

causing me no end of bad vibes, just don't wanna be in there

If you post some pics, I might be able to sort out main feng shui problems, mang.  Or if it's just full of trash and cum bottles-- sort your life out, dude.

just full of stuff can't move in there got my table up and i'm just trying to cram everything on there and sit with headphones on and ignore the stuff around me

I see.  Vertical organization, yo.  Also, I find that after making a wall of 150 2-liter piss/shit bottles, it really messes with my tone.  

Vertical organization, yo.

9townrQ.jpg

Sweeeet.

Vertical organization is very powerful.

I realized that if you can vertically organize properly, you can basically put all of your belongings against one wall or even one corner of a room.  All of a sudden the whole place becomes huge.  The downside is when you want to listen to Hasty Boom Alert on CD, and you remember that you stored it at the very bottom of the stack.  This is why when you look at lazy people's rooms, they organize everything horizontally-- basically everything they own is just thrown all over the floor (easy access- looks like shit (kind of like hobags)).

Edited by peace 7

This is why when you look at lazy people's rooms, they organize everything horizontally-- basically everything they own is just thrown all over the floor (easy access- looks like shit (kind of like hobags)).

You're a big meanie head and you're making me feel insecure  :cry:

This is why when you look at lazy people's rooms, they organize everything horizontally-- basically everything they own is just thrown all over the floor (easy access- looks like shit (kind of like hobags)).

You're a big meanie head and you're making me feel insecure  :cry:

Lazy people only disappoint themselves by not doing what they want in life.  There's nothing wrong with being lazy if that's what you want!!!   No judgement.

I think the horizontal thing is more likely to be a creative-person attribute. We creatives have tiny working memory, and it takes a lot more effort for us to categorize and organize than it does for more linear-minded people. For me, also I tend to be very associative in the moment, and seeing things will often trigger new ideas. If everything were to be perfectly organized in drawers, or whatever it would really be a hinderance in that process.

Tidy studio is nice but there's usually better ways to spend time in your creative space init.

If you're making some shit hot tunes you don't really wanna waste your vibez on organising ur cables by weight and smell.

Well, a couple years ago I would've agreed.

Now I think a studio (or any space) should be optimized towards letting you do whatever it is you wanna do. Otherwise it's not 'a studio' so much as 'an obstacle course between you and your goals'.

Tidy studio is nice but there's usually better ways to spend time in your creative space init.

If you're making some shit hot tunes you don't really wanna waste your vibez on organising ur cables by weight and smell.

Well, a couple years ago I would've agreed.

Now I think a studio (or any space) should be optimized towards letting you do whatever it is you wanna do. Otherwise it's not 'a studio' so much as 'an obstacle course between you and your goals'.

I'd definitely recommend reducing friction and having everything at your fingertips. I got rid for the QuadraVerb and just use plugs for post/effects. I have a one-in-one-out basis for new modules, so they're all within arm's reach. If you can use them via muscle memory, so much the better.

As far as organising cables goes, because Nina was kind enough to make a handy holder for mine, it makes it far quicker for me to find and grab one I need in the moment. Spend a bit of time when you're not making music anyway, to save time when you are, so you don't get dragged out of the zone by the minutiae of e.g. finding a cable.