IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

• 2 weeks later...

new place / setting things up... JV90 keyboard is newly purchased and was intended to double as a midi keyboard, but some of the buttons are not working and now i'm mulling over returning it or getting it fixed (there's a youtube video fixing the JV80 that suggests contact cleaner is not the answer... he opens the whole thing up, orders new buttons, desolders the old buttons and solders in the new buttons. it looks like a pain in the ass (especially for a schmuck like me.. youtube.com/watch?v=Rl19XuHi4o0 ). 

mixer isn't part of the set up .. and should be removed from the equation. things are going into patchbay > into audio interface. 

QY700 is only being used for its cheesy internal sounds and not being used as a sequencer.. which is also why i got a JV90 ?

dn7vaUT.png

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

is that a batman cup?

@thawkins fuckinglol at your waterbottle-leg table ?

it is. was purchased years ago from a work colleague and it's stuck around. mostly use it for water cos it's so fucking big.

lol at waterbottles legs.

Edited by bitchroast
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bitchroast said:

new place / setting things up... JV90 keyboard is newly purchased and was intended to double as a midi keyboard, but some of the buttons are not working and now i'm mulling over returning it or getting it fixed (there's a youtube video fixing the JV80 that suggests contact cleaner is not the answer... he opens the whole thing up, orders new buttons, desolders the old buttons and solders in the new buttons. it looks like a pain in the ass (especially for a schmuck like me.. youtube.com/watch?v=Rl19XuHi4o0 ). 

mixer isn't part of the set up .. and should be removed from the equation. things are going into patchbay > into audio interface. 

QY700 is only being used for its cheesy internal sounds and not being used as a sequencer.. which is also why i got a JV90 ?

dn7vaUT.png

Nice man - you got a Korg Monologue - am looking to get me one of those!!

21 minutes ago, TheBro said:

Nice man - you got a Korg Monologue - am looking to get me one of those!!

i also have a moog sub 37 but not pictured cos doesn't fit on desk so it's packed up. the sub 37 has ADSR on the amp + another ADSR on the filter. alot more modulation options.. sequencer. etc.etc.etc. but sometimes i'll still prefer using the korg monologue cos it does what i'm wanting to do anyway and is a billion times quicker to use. the moog is good but the user interface when navigating the menus is truly shitty and not-user friendly. compare that to the Korg MS20000 for example where navigating the menus makes perfect sense and is easy to use. korg monologue (and minilogue) are good like that. very user friendly and it just ends up being a preference to use. 

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

@bitchroast damn i should get an open back rack stand like that. i built one but i use it as a leg for my desk, and it's very hard to make changes on the patchbay/sound card, requires abdominal muscles that have weakened through fatherhood 

i did a fence section the other day and was dumping the remains of old fence at the dump transfer station, and a guy pulled up next to me with a truck full of old doors, so that gave me the inspiration to do some work on my hardware only jam space. right now i'm recording mono into audacity on this ibm slim.

slowly improving since we moved to this house in January. i have my daw station totally separate on the other side of the room.. hopefully this arrangement will force me to do many live takes, then switch to arranging in the DAW station.

OQSKApZ.png

Edited by sheatheman
  • Like 5

TR-08, SE-02 and SH-01A added. Still figuring out how to integrate the 01A to Live (the 2 other Boutiques work perfectly), that's one tricky.
It does help to have such dedicated boxes I must say, and leave all sort of digital wizardry to the computer (I'm thinking Bazille and Razor), as well as processing. So that rather than doing something Rolandish / Moogish (no matter how much I love proudly digital, weird FM stuffs, I still LOVE such classic tones) with my digital/virtual options, I directly have these huge sweet-spots in a box at hand. I really have to stop re-inventing the wheel ^^
It's quite magical to sequence them with TidalCycles too, I love what happens when you collides those classic tones with strange, ever-evolving sequences.
The 08 is quite amazing as a sound-box, I've found a nice M4L device that exposes all its hidden parameters (tuning for most voices, decay etc...), it gets pretty interesting quickly and effortlessly.

And 24/96 without latency (if you have a solid sound card to send clock though, seems paramount here) is a blessing.

IMG_1901.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sheatheman said:

man. i cannot fathom using tidal cycles. wow.

same here! ? i tried to understand it but it asks for more time, time that i dont have atm but will definitely investigate more into it, hopefully soon

@sheatheman While it makes so much sense to me hehe ? I'm by no mean a code wizard à la Kindohm (long is the path), I don't even try to make super complex things with it (well.. rarely), but I feel home whenever I open my code editor.

@auxien I genuinely love them to bits, they're hands down the wisest, smartest purchase I've ever made. My production / engineering chops have increased dramatically since I got them, and it's a huge relief to blindly rely on what I hear. And it's damn inspirational as well. My current sketches sound dramatically better than my previous LP, effortlessly.

They're invaluable tools, they have their own way to voice the sound so that you know straight away what to do sound right. And once you've locked a mix on them, it'll sound identical elsewhere.

They're roughly 90cm apart (and I sit at the same distance from each). The desk is a work in progress, so I might try to set them a bit further apart. On the other hand, considering that they just work and make anything audio so genuinely enjoyable is a pure bliss (and a blessing).

I'm not sure they're the most impressive speakers to "just" listen to music, they prove themself priceless once you create music (or mix / master it) with them. I've heard many times my mastering engineer Barefoot and Focal sets, and I don't feel jealous any longer hehe. They also slay the (awful) Genelec we have at the school I teach at (I hate their useless harshness with a passion).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TidalCycles is really great. But it demands a certain way of working and has limitations that I sadly have decided I can't abide right now - specifically, it demands that you pretty much use it as your only sequencer, or at least that you use it as the master clock, and you just kind of leave it running all the time and expect to start/stop it on beat. Also it's kind of tricky to build macro/song structures in it. If you are cool with that, it's a beast. And even if you kind of aren't cool with that, there are satellite projects emerging to bring its excellent syntax to other environments, especially web/JavaScript.

It's an incredibly fast workflow and you can conjure up surprising stuff really, really easily. It's easy to think in. If you're interested in it but intimidated, just go through the excellent tutorial and things will click almost immediately. The only really tricky part for me was setting up the whole Haskell/SC/Dirt stack and getting the whole thing back up and running when it crashed (note: don't try to go too much further than 1/1024th notes and it probably won't crash on you much). A lot of that is surely down to me using it on an outdated laptop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

TidalCycles is really great. But it demands a certain way of working and has limitations that I sadly have decided I can't abide right now - specifically, it demands that you pretty much use it as your only sequencer, or at least that you use it as the master clock, and you just kind of leave it running all the time and expect to start/stop it on beat. Also it's kind of tricky to build macro/song structures in it. If you are cool with that, it's a beast. And even if you kind of aren't cool with that, there are satellite projects emerging to bring its excellent syntax to other environments, especially web/JavaScript.

It's an incredibly fast workflow and you can conjure up surprising stuff really, really easily. It's easy to think in. If you're interested in it but intimidated, just go through the excellent tutorial and things will click almost immediately. The only really tricky part for me was setting up the whole Haskell/SC/Dirt stack and getting the whole thing back up and running when it crashed (note: don't try to go too much further than 1/1024th notes and it probably won't crash on you much). A lot of that is surely down to me using it on an outdated laptop.

It was possible to slave TidalCycles to Live, but it was not so user friendly as it could be - it was necessary to manually tweak the delay to make it sync up properly. It has been some months since I tried, maybe it has improved.

• Like 1

I slave TC to Live via Carabiner FWIW. I’m less worried about perfect sync though as 100% of the sequencing here is made via TC, aside from some dummy clips and m4l voodoo I trigger using CCs with the « once » and « stack » functions, so that I can trigger them when evaluating a piece of code (and it’ll launch at next cycle).

My personal TC recent epiphany is to use it in the most simple way. Of course I’m still eager to explore markov chains the way Kindohm does (I love his music and his coding chops are pretty amazing), but all I do pretty much relies on very simple sequences. And that’s ok ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 12:34 PM, Nil said:

I slave TC to Live via Carabiner FWIW. I’m less worried about perfect sync though as 100% of the sequencing here is made via TC, aside from some dummy clips and m4l voodoo I trigger using CCs with the « once » and « stack » functions, so that I can trigger them when evaluating a piece of code (and it’ll launch at next cycle).

My personal TC recent epiphany is to use it in the most simple way. Of course I’m still eager to explore markov chains the way Kindohm does (I love his music and his coding chops are pretty amazing), but all I do pretty much relies on very simple sequences. And that’s ok ?

where did you get the desk, very practical, me like it a lot