IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

What's the alternative though? I am never getting an established fanbase if I do not put my things on somewhere. And I don't think I will ever have any success sending my material to a label or something, although honestly I don't really try to send any demos anywhere either...

The alternative is definitely sending to labels. When I pop something on my own Bandcamp I sell between 5-10 copies. My last release on a label has sold 120-ish so far. 

Depends on whether you have the time to find suitable labels, of course. There are tens of thousands of DIY labels these days, if your material's decent then there's probably someone out there who'd release it. But yeah, it can be an exhausting task and I totally understand the 'bung it on Bandcamp and move on' approach, because it just takes away the stress. As I say, I do it myself sometimes. But, although I make music largely for myself, I can't deny the satisfaction that comes from people - outside a few friends - actually buying my albums.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

The alternative is definitely sending to labels. When I pop something on my own Bandcamp I sell between 5-10 copies. My last release on a label has sold 120-ish so far. 

Depends on whether you have the time to find suitable labels, of course. There are tens of thousands of DIY labels these days, if your material's decent then there's probably someone out there who'd release it. But yeah, it can be an exhausting task and I totally understand the 'bung it on Bandcamp and move on' approach, because it just takes away the stress. As I say, I do it myself sometimes. But, although I make music largely for myself, I can't deny the satisfaction that comes from people - outside a few friends - actually buying my albums.

I would send it to some labels, but yeah I don't know any small time niche labels that would actually be interested in the style I make.

Maybe I should start searching and sending some demos..

Is there already a thread for label discussion/recommendation from the music-making side, or should someone make one? It would definitely be helpful.

I'm about to step away from the computer for the rest of the afternoon or I'd do it myself.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:59 AM, TubularCorporation said:

Is there already a thread for label discussion/recommendation from the music-making side

This would be nice! I think there is a number of people (including myself) that could benefit from folks' experiences on finding a label that fits them.

I actually created a thread: 

Edited by DeliKuvveti
  • Farnsworth 1

my new super compact setup! still got all my other gear, but stuck it all in the loft. got a new 1010 bluebox, polyend tracker and model: cycles. plan is to make an EP using just those boxes, no computer.

4e218f499a8db52f7400420fbfa97fcc.jpg

Edited by BCM
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, BCM said:

my new super compact setup! still got all my other gear, but stuck it all in the loft. got a new 1010 bluebox, polyend tracker and model: cycles. plan is to make an EP using just those boxes, no computer.

just got to figure out how it all works...4e218f499a8db52f7400420fbfa97fcc.jpg

You might get better bass response if you stuff those monitors in the underwear drawers, seeing as they are halfway down there already anyway.

Also is that a cutting board?

Otherwise nice and neat setup, I hope you get to do that computerless EP.

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

You might get better bass response if you stuff those monitors in the underwear drawers, seeing as they are halfway down there already anyway.

Also is that a cutting board?

Otherwise nice and neat setup, I hope you get to do that computerless EP.

The reason I'm using my small monitors and tiny table is that I'm getting some work done on my garage/studio and soon the ceiling will be replaced and a new floor. Got to move pretty much everything out of there so just set up this using heterogeneous items that are still in there. Just bought a couple new items and wanted to try them out :shrug:

• Like 3

Looks like a fun little setup.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BCM said:

4e218f499a8db52f7400420fbfa97fcc.jpg

Very neat!

Iz yo beat alzo neat?!

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BCM said:

The reason I'm using my small monitors and tiny table is that I'm getting some work done on my garage/studio and soon the ceiling will be replaced and a new floor. Got to move pretty much everything out of there so just set up this using heterogeneous items that are still in there. Just bought a couple new items and wanted to try them out :shrug:

Yeah I meant that the monitors should still be at ear level, even if they are small and the table is tiny. And yeah I guess if it's a temporary setup all this does not matter.

I've got some stands I could put them on, but they are also currently packed away in the loft. the new studio (once all the work is done) is gonna be proper good though. Will have new ceiling with nice lighting, new flooring, decorated and going to build some fittings to house all of my gear efficiently whilst maximising space. will be combo lounge/bar/music studio :) might take a few months to complete though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCM said:

I've got some stands I could put them on, but they are also currently packed away in the loft. the new studio (once all the work is done) is gonna be proper good though. Will have new ceiling with nice lighting, new flooring, decorated and going to build some fittings to house all of my gear efficiently whilst maximising space. will be combo lounge/bar/music studio ? might take a few months to compete though!

Are you going to sell the tumble dryer on Reverb?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Are you going to sell the tumble dryer on Reverb?

He's going to use it for reverb.  Turn it on and he's also got a leslie speaker emulation.  Put a pair of shoes in and it's a polyrhythmic techno rumble kick.    

• Like 2

so far it's awesome! so tiny too :)

got it all synced to midi so can easily do overdubs, controls are straightforward and not much menu diving, screen is bright and responsive, sound quality is very good.

I think for the price point you're not going to find a better digital mixer and recorder with this form factor.

• Like 2