Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

23 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

:trollface:

Edited by thawkins

:trollface:                    :trollface:                     :trollface:             

:trollface:                    :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                                 :trollface:   :trollface:                        :trollface:                    :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:  :trollface:

:trollface:                                           :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:       :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:                                 :trollface:             

:trollface:               :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:          :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                                    :trollface:                     :trollface:                               :trollface:                     :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:                                        :trollface:

:trollface:                    :trollface:                                   :trollface:

• 2 weeks later...

Not technically mine yet, a friend and I got all of them plus four Eiki 7070a classroom cassette/CD combo decks (with CD pitch control) and about 50 unused blank cassettes for $213 this afternoon from a random dude on the street. My friend fronted the money, I'm going to test them all and then we're going to ebay a couple to cover our expenses, divide the rest between us, and then set up a giant delay network with about 10 three head cassette decks running in parallel.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Not technically mine yet, a friend and I got all of them plus four Eiki 7070a classroom cassette/CD combo decks (with CD pitch control) for $213 this afternoon, he fronted the money, I'm going to test them all and then we're going to ebay a couple to cover our expenses, divide the rest between us, and then set up a giant delay network with about 10 three head cassette decks running in parallel.

please let me know when you put them on ebay:catsalute:

Edited by chronical

10 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Not technically mine yet, a friend and I got all of them plus four Eiki 7070a classroom cassette/CD combo decks (with CD pitch control) and about 50 unused blank cassettes for $213 this afternoon from a random dude on the street. My friend fronted the money, I'm going to test them all and then we're going to ebay a couple to cover our expenses, divide the rest between us, and then set up a giant delay network with about 10 three head cassette decks running in parallel.

Could be related...

Local newsroom manager caught selling all his reporters' equipment for funding modular habit

• Like 1

Nah, they have $10 price stickers on them from the government surplus sale and he turned out to have mutual friends (one of them showed up while we were talking) so I think he was legit.  They come from a police dispatch, hopefully they aren't too worn out.

• Like 1

PMD221

Did basic tests on them.  4 work perfectly, 1 or 2 are probably fucked, and the rest might be fine and might not be, a few need belts but they all have various degrees of quiet/muddy audio and it's just down to whether it's cleaning or head alignment (fixable) or head wear (i.e. sell cheap for parts).  But even if we didn't sell any for parts and only ended up with four, that's around $60 each and that's still really good.

EDIT: also the most messed up one is permanently stuck in record but otherwise seems fine, so if we can't fix the record switch we will probably keep that one, take out the erase head completely and use it as a dedicated sound-on-sound looper.

• Like 1

I'm up to 6 working, 1 that has speed issues but should be fine with a new belt, and 6 more that are less promising (but one or two might still be OK with new belts).

• 2 weeks later...

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der deutsche bahn

Due to baggage constraints I only brought with me the shitty apple earplugs which started hurting after a while, but this is a really nice piece of gear to play with.

IMG_5887.JPG

• Like 7

I'm also on the road but I had the cabinet for the tube amp I finished building last month shipped to my folks' house so I was able to get it put together today.  Might end up stripping it back down when I get home and varnishing the tweed, I haven't decided for sure yet.20210808_220217.thumb.jpg.04f6a050cd5c9cc653b4ae336b2b3e10.jpg

peaker is a completely uncool but actually really nice sounding 1982 Pyle Driver (probably a 60 watt since it came in a 4x12 that was rated for 200 watts, but I don't know for sure because it doesn't ahve any markings other than the EIA code and a model number that doesn't match any of the stock Pyle model numbers - probably because it was an OEM version for the last generation of Legend amps after they got bought by Gibson and stopped using Celestions). Some variant on these:

s-l1600.jpg

Fender 5e3 clone with salvaged 6s DE preamp tubes and a 70s Tung Sol rectifier (power tubes are just new JJs since I don't have any interest in burning through expensive old power tubes)

Also the best Fuzz Face I've ever built down there by the fan. This is the 7th one I've done, and after a few different original stripboard and point to point layouts I've settled on this one I found online a couple years ago being better than anything I came up with:

FuzzFaceGermanium.gif.5ae2fe458cb3070beb8050834dbcebb0.gif

I move VR-1 (bias) to a panel control and add the input half of the Mike Fuller mod since it's so easy (just a 50k variable resistor right after the input jack, so it can go from theoretically "correct" fuzz face sound to a completely different input load that makes it sound more like a distortion+ or something than a fuzz, and everything in between.  Really useful and only one part added. This is the last one I'm going to make though, I've only got one good pair of matched, NOS transistors left and I'm probably going to use them for something more exotic that I haven't decided on yet.  

I guess that kind of belonged more in the DIY thread.

EDIT: the Fuzz Face used Texas Instruments 2G308 GE transistors this time around.  Still possible to find them but they're getting pretty scarce.  Really good sound, although most people seem to say they clean up unusually well but so far I've found this pair actually cleans up LESS than the other Fuzz Faces I've built (but in a really good way).

• Like 3

On 7/11/2021 at 11:25 AM, Rubin Farr said:

What did you use to hang your patch cords? I made a wooden rack attempt and it was fugly.

Ack, only just noticed this reply, sorry!  It's a Voltcraft ML-1 OR.  My partner had some spare, and she was kind enough to screw one into the wall for me.  I gather they're intended for electronics engineers to use, but they're just about a perfect fit for 3.5 mm cables too, although these braided ones are slightly pushing it.  Anyway, yeah, I recommend them to Eurorack users.

• Like 1