IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

10 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

What made u go for an atari instead of a tracker like renoise?

I still haven't got around to properly trying out Renoise, in my mind trackers are sequencer+sampler combos...  As for the Atari ST, I'd like to occasionally try composing without any modern DAWs as it seems like the change might be somewhat inspiring; I thought it'd be fun to try out the combination everyone was using back in the day (ST + S1000); I have this theory that the tech you use, especially the sequencer, affects the style of music you make, so I wanted to try out various now-free old MIDI sequencers (Tiger Cub, anyone?); and given that I often tend to make one or two sections and essentially mute/unmute their tracks in buildups to make whole pieces of music, I wanted to try out Creator, which seemed to be designed from that viewpoint.  Creator in particular seems to bridge the ideas between MIDI sequencers (a single long list of MIDI events, grouped into tracks) and earlier digital sequencers (patterns chained together into songs), with muting being automatable.

I mean, it was good enough for Fatboy Slim, the Future Sound of London, and Orbital...

Curiously, my first track with Creator sounds (to my ears, at least) just like my teenage Impulse Tracker music, only now I'm adding delay and reverb in the mix.  Which is nice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ZoeB said:

I'd like to occasionally try composing without any modern DAWs as it seems like the change might be somewhat inspiring; I thought it'd be fun to try out the combination everyone was using back in the day (ST + S1000)

From about 2009 to 2016 I did that (MPC2000xl as the studio hub, with a rack of 90s digital gear and a couple keyboards), it was a lot faster and I usually had better ideas. The only reason I'm using a DAW as more than a stereo recorder again is that I got sick of not having a proper mixer (everything was going through a little 1u line mixer with no EQ and one aux) and I don't have the space or money for one, so I started multitracking again out of necessity and my mixing has improved but I hardly finish anything and most of it is a lot less interesting than what I did when I didn't use any gear made after 2002 or so.

Since I'm using that Presonus Studiolive as an interface now, what I should probably do is get a cheap Wal Mart tablet hook it up to my router so I can use it as a standalone mixer and record direct to stereo on its internal recorder, that seems like a good compromise between having some control of the mix but still committing to recording everything in a single pass.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ZoeB said:

I still haven't got around to properly trying out Renoise, in my mind trackers are sequencer+sampler combos...  As for the Atari ST, I'd like to occasionally try composing without any modern DAWs as it seems like the change might be somewhat inspiring; I thought it'd be fun to try out the combination everyone was using back in the day (ST + S1000); I have this theory that the tech you use, especially the sequencer, affects the style of music you make, so I wanted to try out various now-free old MIDI sequencers (Tiger Cub, anyone?); and given that I often tend to make one or two sections and essentially mute/unmute their tracks in buildups to make whole pieces of music, I wanted to try out Creator, which seemed to be designed from that viewpoint.  Creator in particular seems to bridge the ideas between MIDI sequencers (a single long list of MIDI events, grouped into tracks) and earlier digital sequencers (patterns chained together into songs), with muting being automatable.

I mean, it was good enough for Fatboy Slim, the Future Sound of London, and Orbital...

Curiously, my first track with Creator sounds (to my ears, at least) just like my teenage Impulse Tracker music, only now I'm adding delay and reverb in the mix.  Which is nice.

I still love the Atari st cubase for midi over all other midi sequencers. I have kept mine, but recently considered selling it. I agree that it’s awesome to use that stuff over modern sequencing- most of the albums done with either Atari st, mpc, or alesis mmt8 are my favorites.

21 hours ago, pizza said:

also has the benefit of zero distractions

Totally!  Even my main setup has helps with this, using a separate computer to record on.  If I get bored while recording a part, I don't check social media sites, I start messing with the oscillator's footing or the filter's cutoff point, adding little flourishes that make the track idiosyncratic and mine.

• Like 1

your post inspired me to download Steem yesterday (Atari ST emulator) and mess around with Cubase 2. got it working via midi etc. kinda funny how little piano rolls (and sequencers in general) have changed since then. totally useable still to this day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auxien said:

everything on wheels: +1

plant: +1

no shoes: +1

decent view: +1

Xbox box: +0

no cat/dog: -1

no chair either? he sits in a lotus position and flies round the room

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, auxien said:

looks like nice wood on that desk and a solid lamp. the left placement of the lights on each speaker would fucking kill me tho...which monitors are those?

It's a pair of Neumann KH120A. I really don't mind the lights at all. I think you can turn them off completely by some pin placement on the back anyway.

• Like 1