IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

On 9/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, auxien said:

looks like nice wood on that desk and a solid lamp. the left placement of the lights on each speaker would fucking kill me tho...which monitors are those?

omg I’m so triggered by the lights haha. I’d have to tape over them I think

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheBro said:

Interesting I've always been intrigued by these. How do you find them?

I have had mine for a month and it’s super inspirational to fire it up and build some patterns and mess with the chord transpose feature and factory phrases.

The onboard sounds are not super special but if you hook a velocity sensitive keyboard to it then you get way more nicer feel and can get a more expressive sound.

I have made the last 3-4 tracks on my SoundCloud mainly by sequencing them on the qy100 and adding some finishing touches in Live.

I am still in the process of learning the sequencer and how to make a song fully on the thing, at least arrangement wise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thawkins said:

I have had mine for a month and it’s super inspirational to fire it up and build some patterns and mess with the chord transpose feature and factory phrases.

The onboard sounds are not super special but if you hook a velocity sensitive keyboard to it then you get way more nicer feel and can get a more expressive sound.

I have made the last 3-4 tracks on my SoundCloud mainly by sequencing them on the qy100 and adding some finishing touches in Live.

I am still in the process of learning the sequencer and how to make a song fully on the thing, at least arrangement wise.

Are you just using the built-in sounds of the thing?

56 minutes ago, yekker said:

Are you just using the built-in sounds of the thing?

The three tracks that say "feat. Yamaha QY100" are using the stock sounds. I do some processing and mixing in Live too. The more recent ones in September I mostly use it for sequencing and sketching up some loops and arrangement and then finishing stuff with my main setup.

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

I haven't had the time yet to get some cables and integrate the QY100 into my Live template nicely, but I am looking forward to doing that and also getting the MPC1000 I have been waiting for so long now.

Pretty sure that it's going to be really fun just to jam with the QY100 stock phrases and Volca Sample at some point.

Got myself the Korg SQ-64 and recently updated the MD to the custom firmware X.05 which has been like having a brand new instrument. I like a lot of the new possibilities but it will take me a while to gel as it has taken away some of the machines focus by blurring the lines of what it does. I honestly found it really jarring to begin with as it’s an instrument that I was pretty comfortable with using and suddenly became really alien to me… once I remembered I don’t have to use just the new features and use them a bit more sparingly, things improved considerably ?

BEBFD964-74D6-499F-A92A-A15B3746158E.jpeg

• Like 4

On 9/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, thawkins said:

Awesome I'll check em out dude!

9 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

Got myself the Korg SQ-64 and recently updated the MD to the custom firmware X.05 which has been like having a brand new instrument. I like a lot of the new possibilities but it will take me a while to gel as it has taken away some of the machines focus by blurring the lines of what it does. I honestly found it really jarring to begin with as it’s an instrument that I was pretty comfortable with using and suddenly became really alien to me… once I remembered I don’t have to use just the new features and use them a bit more sparingly, things improved considerably ?

looks like plenty of good fun

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

awesome but my favorite thing here is the framed Claro sleeve

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

awesome but my favorite thing here is the framed Claro sleeve

I don't care much about Star Wars but I appreciate seeing Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band up there on the left.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the nice comments people.

Auxien - yes, it is a fun setup and quite flexible. I quickly realised that when jamming by myself I can only manage a few synths at once but I can add in or remove other devices depending on what I’m doing and still have similar work flow/process. Ideally I could do with a few more inputs into Cubase (I have 6 ins at the moment and use the alesis as a submix which sometimes would be nice to have on their own channels…) - I have the portable synths such as the OP-1 as I spend time away in my camper a lot and it’s nice to have some instruments with me but they have slightly hindered the studio as I really don’t like buying a new device when I already have something that does that…. For example I use the OP-1 as a sampler a lot of the time which has stopped me buying something like a Digitakt or Octatrack which are way better samplers in a studio setup IMO.

I know there are probably easier, cheaper and ‘better’ ways of creating the sounds I make but for me it’s working out very well. 

Sweepstakes & Tubularcorp - extra idm points awarded!! Lol - I have a few pieces of album art up and yes Brothomstates Claro is one of them. Being of a certain age the only star wars films I am willing to accept are the first three!! I really like those films - I don’t remember doing it but apparently when I got took to the cinema to see Empire Strikes Back as a child, I got really upset and stood on the seat shouting at the screen when Vader claimed he was Luke’s dad ? - the Max Rebo figures (all complete with the mic stands and instruments etc) are original 70’s or 80’s ones that a guy I worked with was selling. He’s a collector and his wife had just given birth so he sold one of his complete sets off. When he got to the Max figures he showed them to me as he knew I was into musical stuff. I said to him they would look cool in my studio and he agreed and let me have them for about a fifth of what he could get for them… top bloke - thanks Steph ??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

What the hell is this? 

BEBFD964-74D6-499F-A92A-A15B3746158E.jpeg.5426c94396bf9ed07fdd120c52a219e8~2.jpeg

Lol - it’s one of the dogs toys that he’s ripped up next to a suspect carpet stain ? - it’s a ‘honking pheasant’ which has got to be the name of a track soon!!

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-honking-pheasant-dog-toy#

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

Lol - it’s one of the dogs toys that he’s ripped up next to a suspect carpet stain ? - it’s a ‘honking pheasant’ which has got to be the name of a track soon!!

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-honking-pheasant-dog-toy#

Does.. does the pheasant get "honked" often?

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

IMG_6043.JPGI

I can't work under these conditions.

My last cat used to try to climb up my back and sit on my head when I was at the computer, which kind of sucked because he was 17 pounds.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

My last cat used to try to climb up my back and sit on my head when I was at the computer, which kind of sucked because he was 17 pounds.

Yes, this might happen to me this winter as the weather gets colder, clothes get thicker and climbing becomes easier.

• 1 month later...

20211023_154240.thumb.jpg.e8dec7b135dcc79c9b40f6e852f91886.jpg

Moved into a place with a basement office.  I'm standing abut 2/3 of the way from the back wall in this photo, it's pretty large.  I'd say 25 - 30 feet front to back. Going to be weeks before I'm really set up but it's going to be worth it. I even got some big hooks so I can run my cables across the ceiling and actually be able to keep the floor vacuumed for a change.  Only major issue so far is that the people who built it put in half a dozen nice ceiling lights but they're on a dimmer, and that's probably going to cause all sorts of noise issues so I need to swap it out for a normal switch and put in some low wattage bulbs to keep it cozy.

EDIT: I also need to bolt a pipe or something to one of the beams in the ceiling and clamp that tall rack to it, because the carpet has something like 3/4" of squishy foam underneath it which is nice for making the room less reflective but it means anything that's even slightly top heavy wobbles all over the place and will probably tip over and kill somebody.  The keyboard stands and shelves are OK but that rack is a death trap without some extra support.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 6