IGNORED

so uh, hello everything leaked.

sisforawesome

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest version2006
bie xe orijinol and fiend aot ... ;-p or go to warp and demo the tracks .. loe'el

As far as what anyone would think about me leaving the break untouched, who cares? Nonetheless I understand your point - it is clear that a lot of people interested in electronic music have a "box ticking" mentality, whereby a track has to fulfill certain material criteria to be worthy of attention. I see this as a grave problem. For me it is traceable back to a commodity oriented society that has only specifications and statistics as its tools to discern value. Maybe this is appropriate to cars, golf clubs or sex aids, but I maintain that music will never entirely yield to this reductive approach. Although I have no desire to invoke any dodgy metaphysics or conjecture concerning a supernatural aspect to perception, music can obviously be appreciated on more levels than the materialist attitude dictates. One of my attitudes is to try to make music that invalidates the categories that are imposed on the music in the box ticking process. I sensed this a long time ago, which is one of the reasons I tried to deliberately divide opinion on my work with "Music is rotted one note". In a more general way, I like to keep playing this game by putting together albums that will hopefully frustrate any listener who is only interested in having their own aural agenda fulfilled. I demand more of my audience than that. I demand that the listener pays critical attention not only to my ideas, but also their own. Ultimately I don't care about being a good artist; it is much more significant to me to try to get a few people to address how manufactured and lazy our attitudes to music are. Maybe my methods are crude, but if nothing else it illustrates that I have a high estimation of my listeners. I am the first to admit the usefulness of categories in music. I would never advocate an attempt to abandon categories; for sure it could not succeed. They are bound up in our entire approach to the world. Anyone who dreams of music without categorical boundaries is missing the fact the rules are what makes the game playable. In a world of pure contemplation, categories may fall away but that it is not a world where music can exist, depending as it does on contrasts, negated as such by pure sameness. The new age conflation of the no-mind world allegedly attainable via some meditation techniques with music is just dodgy romanticism. Music, though not only consisting of material aspects does have an important material component. Extremities in both directions produce still born ideas. We could possibly conceive of a musical category as an agglomeration of a specific type of knowledge, produced by many peoples' work. In that sense, it seems inadvisable to ignore the category, being as it is some sort of embodiment of knowledge and being as it is that declining to attain that knowledge is tantamount to stupidity. Yet to simply work and rehearse within its walls is to deny that there is potential to go beyond it. Thus it seems sensible to see the category as a touchstone, a venerable source of the accumulated experiences of others, but also to make forays beyond it; refer but not defer.

is that for real?

i can't say i agree about the dodgy romanticism part - maybe he's thinking about trance and goa, but i think true mindlessness would open up the potentials of aural expression even further.

liking or disliking a piece of music is an arbitrary decision.

i went and picked it up today with the 3"... those vaccuum tracks are rediculous. i regret paying the extra $2 for the bonus. fucking tom...

I just read the NME review of this. It introduces Tom by comparing him to Flea, then goes on to claim the NME invented the term drill 'n bass.

I just read the NME review of this. It introduces Tom by comparing him to Flea, then goes on to claim the NME invented the term drill 'n bass.

You miss read. It actually says that NME invented drill n bass. They invented electronic music too.

I really, really fucking love it so far I'm not sure about the criticism I think you guys are over-reacting.

Mind you, I'm not up for full analysis yet so I may be talking shit.

*shuts up*

Guest ThE99THReDBallooN

"I really, really fucking love it so far I'm not sure about the criticism I think you guys are over-reacting"

this is true

I'm really sorry to whoever has made this hoax but this sounds about as much like squarepusher as my granny does rdj. and shes dead.

The rats could record the scratching of her skull for 5 mins and be a more convincing a squarepusher album.

Here are the real highlights of the leek (cough) fake fake fake lolololol (cough) for me.

But before I start I have to say that quite frankly I'm deeply offended that you think you can pass this off to me as squarepusher. It's like some little scum fuck selling me tea leaves and telling me its skunk.

Track 1. Nice reason work. obviously got very carried away with the That Other Site™ remix comp. somebody please name a piece of hardware used here. love the dr.rex untouched and unprocessed loop by the way. oh and the free vst glided lead line.

The bassline is the real classic bit for me. If I ever have the misfortune of buying a bass guitar and then get it home sounding like this I'm going to murder the shopkeeper and hold his kids to ransom.

Track 2. Nice idea with the track name mate lol. at least 5 other squarepusher tracks with the word "theme" so good start there.

Sadly thats were it ends. Maybe you think I've forgotten what squarepusher sounds like on a bass guitar but just so you know for future reference I have been listening to squarepusher for a very very long time. I almost skipped this track coz I thought I had accidently recorded bbc nightscreen backing track.

Track 3. lol The really annoying bendy freeware softsynth runs for way too long imo.

ah then the bassline. yes. I had almost forgotten what programmed bass samples sound like. thanks for the reminder. I remember now why I stopped trying that 3 years ago.

Track 4. Another untouched jungle rex loop that funny enough features in an almost exact condition on my jungle warefare sample cd. just like the one in track one. nice try on the beat chopping but its still about a million levels behind super squarepusher magic.

I really dont know what to say about the bass/leadline so I'll just say LOLOLOL.

Rhodes playing at the end. This might have been convincing had any of the notes been played in tune or within any appropriate scale to the already dodgy as fuck softsynth chord progression.

Track 5. you joker

Track 6. Another nice trackname here. wheres lambic 10? Guitar work in front of the bass but lucky for me I can remember what squarepusher sounds like on a guitar. ultravisitor really wasnt that long ago.

I'm wondering if the idea behind the loose shabby drums was to make it sound like tetra sync. i get that feeling throughout this whole song. only difference is that tetra sync isnt badly out of time or completely shit.

Well done on finding the santana scale by the way.

Track 7. LOL

Track 8. HAHA is this the epic that follows the short pointless piece? bit better on the drum programming this time but its a shame you didnt have squarepushers hardware on hand to do it properly.

I like the way this drops into a reaktor organ sound and falls into the dj food scratch your head vibe.

I'm still undecided if this one is mostly reaktor or reason but either way it was a nice idea to introduce the tetra sync style key shift.

The synth piece at the end was probably a little hopefull at sounding like tundra4 but nice try.

Track 9. Welcome to Europe. hmmm maybe Welcome to unsuitable chord changes and leadlines that are just about as far off of tune as they can get would be a better desription. I don't consider this worthy of any further comment. Honestly I'm quite deeply offended this time.

Track 10. Shit!!! squarepusher has forgotten how to play drums since ultravisitor.

oh no I almost forgot this was a hoax. actually no i didnt. hahaha track 10 and i'm finally laughing.

when exactly was the last time squareusher was seen on stage with audiorealism bassline pro on his laptop?

That would be quite a leap.

seriously this news to me. luckily bassline pro can make patterns in the desired key and scale. could have done with that a little earlier in the album. although now as it progresses i'm thinking reason again. reason/reaktor/fruity loops whatever. sorry but not squarepusher.

Track 11. Squarepusher from start to finish. weird that...... oh yeh warp.

Track 12. I like the synth on this one but drums oh no. come on! do me a favour.

I don't hate this album, infact i'm quite impressed at this for a home setup softsynth type job but new squarepusher album?

FUCK OFF!!! DO ME A FAVOUR!!! WHAT AM I???

A CUNT???

I've read through this topic and 90% of people are obviously complete and utter fucking MUGS!! LOLOLOL.

I really can't wait for the truth to come out so that I can laugh and mock you forever and put your embarrassing comments in my signature. Am I the only one who has ever heard squarepusher? Its obvious now that I can immediately disgregard anything that you have ever said or ever will do about squarepusher. At least now it will be easier to sift through the bollocks.

we are the music makers?

we are the muppet mugs.

i nominate this passage

as possibly one of the funniest posts i have read since

i have been on these wattems'

After sitting on it for a few weeks and several listens, this record is decidedly average. Not bad but really not doing it for me either, better than Ultravisitor at least. Guess I just miss how revolutionary Hard Normal Daddy and Music is Rotted were for me at the time. I like my Squarepusher jazzy!

• 13 years later...
1 hour ago, acid1 said:

Thanks for bump. It was fun revisiting this album this morning.

I gave it a listen last night after reading this thread! Thoroughly enjoy it, every track does something for me. 

Archived