IGNORED

Jan Jelinek - Tierbeobachtungen

Still trying to figure out how to pronounce this title, but should be awesome nevertheless :happy:

"The follow up to his highly acclaimed and successful album Kosmischer Pitch from Jan Jelinek, the leading German producer within the experimental electronic music scene. Kosmischer was a drifting loop vortex peppered with subtle Kraut references, and this is the perfect continuation of that highly developed acoustical matrix. Tierbeobachtungen (animal observations) is his fourth album for ~scape, and it addresses the issue of release and liberation. Recorded almost in transit, while preparing his move to a new studio, the tracks reveal and relish in their improvisational character, and drifting, lost sound - yet, they never lose sight of their underlying structure. Tierbeobachtungen might constitute Jelinek's freest and most personal work, with simply arranged tracks based on four to five layered and modulated loops, while his own studio equipment provides the main sampling sources, from synthesizer and guitaret to vibraphone. Jelinek takes on the role of observer on this record, with a level of reflection remaining audible throughout. However, this is by no means intellectual, distanced music - Jelinek leads us straight into a thicket, an acoustic jungle where sumptuous splendor meets the uncanny. A long tradition of psychedelic music pervades the recordings - Amon Düül, Cluster, My Bloody Valentine - yet whatever musical memories might vie for our attention, these are no clear-cut references, just loose associations. On occasion, one might even be tempted to take them for field recordings - gems discovered, stored and returned from their travels by ethnologists fifty or a hundred years ago. Similar to the pioneers of industrial music, like Cabaret Voltaire or Zoviet France, who experimented with field recordings to challenge Western listening habits, Tierbeobachtungen takes us to new, unknown territories and brims with sounds that defy geographic or stylistic classification, not unlike the semi-conscious state between dream and awakening. Overt romanticism is also precluded by Jelinek's sense of humor, which rears its head in titles like "Palmen Aus Leder" (palm trees of leather) and prevents us from taking the album's mystic overtones too seriously."

• 2 weeks later...
i remember liking this guys music. but under a different name too. can't find the record to listen to now though grr.

farben, gramm, jan jelinek and computer soup, avec the expousures, jan and triosk. ???

His stuff is pretty uneven for me. Loopfindingjazzrecords was nice, exposures stuff real nice, but i could take or leave the rest. And the last album was a let down. I'll give it a shot though . . .

• 13 years later...

I was living in Cork for a few years up to 2019. He came and played some random show there in and around 2018 in an art gallery and about 3 people turned up. Was like a Tuesday not advertised and pretty bad modular type improv. 

No idea why it happened. 

3 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

I was living in Cork for a few years up to 2019. He came and played some random show there in and around 2018 in an art gallery and about 3 people turned up. Was like a Tuesday not advertised and pretty bad modular type improv. 

No idea why it happened. 

Honestly feel like he’s fallen off a bit since the late 00s. But ‘00-07 is golden era Jan for me.

4 hours ago, Extralife said:

Honestly feel like he’s fallen off a bit since the late 00s. But ‘00-07 is golden era Jan for me.

The recent collaboration albums with asuna, sven Johansson, and masayoshi fujiya are actually all pretty great. But I agree it's not the same as the period you mention when he was putting out fantastic solo records every year at least. He has also kept busy, however, running faitiche as a great label..

Tierbobachtungen was just reissued on vinyl for the first time fyi! I'm assuming your bump was related to that in some way

Archived