IGNORED

\\\ Renoise 1.8 ///

Paulie Walnuts

Biggest update and overhaul ever...

Includes:

Recording in the Sample-Editor, which allows to create new samples on the fly, directly in Renoise. Signals can be either recorded cleanly (with no DSP FX), or be routed in realtime through any tracks DSP chain.

Added a "#Line-In Device", which allows you to directly route any of your sound-cards physical input into a DSP chain in Renoise.

Added a Mixer, for a fast access and total control of all used DSP effects and volume levels within Renoise. DSP effects can be easily accessed and modified (copied/pasted/ moved/deleted by keyboard shortcuts or drag'n'drop). Mini sliders (DSP parameter controls) can be optionally shown in the mixer strips for those DSP devices parameters, that you want to control via the Mixer. All components of the Mixer (mute/solo, panning, faders, volume, routings) can be hidden to get a better overview.

I think this makes it the first proper sampler available in s/w - also makes Cubase and Live pretty much redundant for me.

Guest Adjective

did you mean to type 1.6?

or will these features take that many .* versions to implement those features?

are they jumping to 1.8 from 1.5?

i'm confused

that aside, a mixer will be very nice

recording is nice in that it makes this more of an all-in-one app, and seems like a logical step for the sample editor

Guest greenbank

does renoise have accurate bpm yet? i'm sticking with modplug for the time being, just hoping that it soon adds plugin delay compensation and ability to mix % of sends to effects. i'm pretty much sorted with those and the new tunings system (which is coming in the next build hopefully). why is renoise so popular when its not free?

i really should have a proper fiddle with the new version to see what the fuss is about but last time i tried it the basic act of entering a note filled me with frustration at the crappy way it works compared to modplug.

does renoise have accurate bpm yet? i'm sticking with modplug for the time being, just hoping that it soon adds plugin delay compensation and ability to mix % of sends to effects. i'm pretty much sorted with those and the new tunings system (which is coming in the next build hopefully). why is renoise so popular when its not free?

i really should have a proper fiddle with the new version to see what the fuss is about but last time i tried it the basic act of entering a note filled me with frustration at the crappy way it works compared to modplug.

Yeah overhauled MIDI timing - no more ticks so it's sample accurate.

Renoise took me about 3 months to get really comfortable with - you can customize anything - I always redo the controls so I can start/stop/pause/edit etc. really quick without moving my hand

\o/

yeah man, this update is great!

recording stuff is great!

the mixer is great!

unlimited samples per instrument is great! (about time too)

they could have made this version jump to 2.0 easily, and i think it's cool that they didn't!

Yeah overhauled MIDI timing - no more ticks so it's sample accurate.

Renoise took me about 3 months to get really comfortable with - you can customize anything - I always redo the controls so I can start/stop/pause/edit etc. really quick without moving my hand

nevermind...found it

Guest Adjective

"Upper right button near Pattern Editor toggles advanced edit, looks like [ <-> ], the drop-down menu in Advanced Processing real-estate gives you what you want."

edit: @mrx, you fast editor you

ive been intrigued by many of you renoise heads reverence of the proggie, certainly enough to be interested in what exactly it offers in comparison to a conventional linear daw or something like abe.

does anyone have some tracks produced using renoise that they could share, just for an idea of the stuff you guys are knocking out of it...and perhaps give a few personal pointers on why you favour it?

not looking to try it myself at this point, quite happy doing what im doing, but am still intrigued by the whole renoise thang going down with the respective peeps on here...

Guest Adjective
ive been intrigued by many of you renoise heads reverence of the proggie, certainly enough to be interested in what exactly it offers in comparison to a conventional linear daw or something like abe.

does anyone have some tracks produced using renoise that they could share, just for an idea of the stuff you guys are knocking out of it...and perhaps give a few personal pointers on why you favour it?

not looking to try it myself at this point, quite happy doing what im doing, but am still intrigued by the whole renoise thang going down with the respective peeps on here...

i've yet to switch to it, but i do think i may in the future.

i've only made 10-30 second things in it inbetween other projects

simple drilly thing

short thingy

I really fucken dig it simply because of the complete control you have over every little thing (and I'm a real control freak). It's super lean in terms of size and interface. It's about 100x cheaper than your big progs like live and cubase (blech). People sometimes moan about the timing and stuff but to be honest I'm not that clever to notice.

I think ableton is totally tits but I feel like I'm only sorta-kinda making tracks with it, but with renoise, I'm really constructing something. Hot.

Yeah what Renoise offers is total integration and very intuitive programming...

Also, a steep learning curve - tracking is an art in itself - like programming a giant 303 - and you have to see quite a few projects thru from start to finished before you really start getting into the workflow.

The best thing is that it integrates the sequencer with the audio editor and the sampler... So you can load up Renoise and not have to mess around with anything else... It's also 90% keyboard driven, so programming never feels like a chore... It's basically a turbo charged MPC with a digital mixer and VST integration.

Better quality sample playback with less aliasing than Kontakt, Reaktor, Live!, etc. and best CPU performance I've ever known.

Something about tracker mixes, always end up sounding supremely tight and clear.

Renoise comes with demo tracks, which you're better of checking out as they focus on different functions of renoise (pitch,beat slicing, etc... i've been using it since version 1.27 (i think) and for me it just works. I have everything i need(sample editing, sequencer, effects) in one program. With the addition of the recording feature, i no longer need to use wavelab.

here are some sample trax (they were done in 1.5.1)

nice one. thanks. starting to make some sort of sense. certainly something i'd like to investigate as a side project at some point. particularly interested in the audio engine and fact that it's less mouse/click intensive and more keyboard based.

Guest pantsonmyhead

If they add rewire components I'm sold

I've been fooling around with the demo for a minute...easiest snare rushes ever

and 2 built in record stops...awesome

I read a while back they were working on a piano roll in renoise, anyone care to enlighten me on updates reguarding that?

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...
Do not say ExT kk?

(imo) piano rolls are a lot like ketamine

they're just a bad habit which fucks up the way you think

there are people who come on the renoise forum asking for piano rolls and arrange pages, but tbh, if renoise were to go that way half the community would migrate to Skale or Buzz - i remember it happened with one of the earlier FT2 clones

if you want piano rolls and arrange pages there's already the likes of fruity loops and podium out there - but when you get out of the habit of hearing visually like that your ability to conceptualise music improves 10 fold

(imo) piano rolls are a lot like ketamine

they're just a bad habit which fucks up the way you think

there are people who come on the renoise forum asking for piano rolls and arrange pages, but tbh, if renoise were to go that way half the community would migrate to Skale or Buzz - i remember it happened with one of the earlier FT2 clones

if you want piano rolls and arrange pages there's already the likes of fruity loops and podium out there - but when you get out of the habit of hearing visually like that your ability to conceptualise music improves 10 fold

I started off with trackers for 10 years roughly?

Now i switch back and forth between piano roll sequencers and trackers, I think any regular musician who has used both effectively can realize both have thier advantages, and since no sequencer has been balsy enough to bridge this gap, i not only find it logical but also business smart.

Like i wrote in my spoiler, I can load up ExT as a vst in renoise, it still comes with dealing with two screens at the same time.

Archived