IGNORED

Gescom - Minidisc

Guest coupler

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh thanks, yeah that was my doubt

so ae were not alone in this one either... interesting

Don't think it was the whole crew but Russell Haswell/Satanstornade definitely worked on this album, and I suspect were a large reason for the change in sound.

• 10 years later...

Been so frustrated lately and dissatisfied with all music and I realize that MINIDISC is exactly what I wanna hear. What a great record or whatever the fuck it is. Probably the most "raw" thing they ever put out. So many vestigial samples and prototypes of ideas that appeared elsewhere too. Tastyyyyyy

I have this on MD. I had recently bought "Viral" on 12" in 98' and was looking forward to something in a similar style... I listened to it once and then tried to forget about it all. Such a total waste of money, I can play my own sample library instead of these random soundfiles...

I have this on MD. I had recently bought "Viral" on 12" in 98' and was looking forward to something in a similar style... I listened to it once and then tried to forget about it all. Such a total waste of money, I can play my own sample library instead of these random soundfiles...

How well did the shuffle feature actually work on that album - My MD used to take time to seek between non-adjacent tracks, so did you get considerable moments of silence if you [for example] jumped between track 1 and 88 ?

How well did the shuffle feature actually work on that album - My MD used to take time to seek between non-adjacent tracks, so did you get considerable moments of silence if you [for example] jumped between track 1 and 88 ?

ISTR reading that the tracks were arranged non-sequentially on the disc, so even if you played them in order the player would still have to jump around.

Is We is fantastic.

It worked beautifully, especially on the "suites" like le shark, it was totally seamless. My MD player would whir about 5 seconds before the end of the track as it was queuing up the next random track and that whirring always felt like part of the Minidisc experience to me.

My MD player would whir about 5 seconds before the end of the track as it was queuing up the next random track

Ah gotcha, so it pre-buffers the next track into ... well a buffer ! I never know minidiscs could do that :)

My MD player would whir about 5 seconds before the end of the track as it was queuing up the next random track

Ah gotcha, so it pre-buffers the next track into ... well a buffer ! I never know minidiscs could do that :)

Yeah! Well, the format's heyday was around the time when discman manufacturers started adding those "skip protection" buffers. So I wonder if that's something they actually borrowed from their implementations of the MD spec.

Would there be a definitive Gescom Minidisc shuffle order? Someone should come up with one.

I had a dream once with 'Is We' as a soundtrack (from memory, cause it wasn't playing or anything). It was trippy, might make a short film of it one day.

Have this too, shuffle function did work seamlessly. Don't recall ever listening to it linearly from track 1 to 88.

I wonder if minidiscs will have a resurgeance, like tapes and vinyl? Some of those discs came in purty colours.

I've always found that this album was better played in order rather than shuffle. It's a cool idea, but the tracks are too varied and imo it doesn't make much sense. 

• 3 weeks later...

smdh

That's what I did during the Haswell's set while pressing my earplugs deeper into my brain.

and i had to leave the room. pushing my fingers into my ears didnt help

I only heard Haswell live once (this February), it was exceptionally pleasant to my ears. I was more neutral towards him before, thought it could be heavy on the ears on a pretty loud system but it was the opposite. Dunno maybe the set was less harsh than usual.

This track i don't particularly enjoy, though it has very nice voice-like modulations (particularly noticeable from 0:48), it's actually autechr-ish sounding to me.

could never get into the Minidisc. Revisited it last month for the first time in years (after having a good moment with "ISS:SA")

but still the same to me.

Archived