IGNORED

Gescom - Minidisc

Guest coupler

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw haswell at cafe oto a few weeks back, he was doin that oscilloscope stuff, pretty decent actually, visuals were goin all over the place. my mate spoke 2 him and he said summat broke halfway through, didn't notice though.

i never liked haswell's output (music?) but he was veeery interesing in zagreb on ae tour; my gf liked his stuff more than ae (!!!) 

...but he was soooo loud that we had to leave the room at one point

yeah i saw b2b shows in london and manchester last year but i could only bear like 5 mins of the london show of haswell, probs due to the fact that i was seated like 5ft away from the speaker. fuckin loads of grating high freqs

well... haswell being loud didn't bother me that much cause i'm not a fan of him anyway but the fact he was super loud influenced autecherrr to play their live at 1350 db (casue hey y'no, we're the main act so we have to be the loudest m'fakrzz in the house, bro!!!) what made complete building to almost explode or fall down. just listen to the zagreb recording and how everything resonates. i've been to many electronic music concerts in that venue and i've never experienced that before. loudness totally fakt the only live set i'm interested in...and we stood farthest away from speakers we could. only later when i was listening the recording i realized how 'ambient' and beautiful that live was. that almost made me cry.... :catcry:

why are ppl doing that?! i mean, even someone like ae! sometimes is just counterproductive

hmm, I figure as long as you have good earplugs, the sound system is good (ie. not distorting from the volume), and you stand near where the sound engineer is situated, it should sound fine..?

No, no...not the sound system, the walls were resonating, doors, stage, bar, everything almost collapsed. I had to have my arms crossed all the time because my chest wanted to explode cause of 7 million db loud bass. I like the feeling of music vibrations on my body but this was pure pain in every sense.

haha yeh the walls and balcony were fuckin resonatin like mad in the london show, musta been louder than that @ zagreb coz i LOVED the kick drums, they just fuckin knocked the wind right out of u. did have to wear my earplugs a bit tho

Haswell never had ringing from his gigs. Because he's not extreme he's just boring.

A Merzbow gig I saw a few years ago my hearing didn't recover fully for probably 4 days or so. I was actually a little worried for a bit.

^ yeah same, made the mistake of seeing him in a small room with no earplugs. Nearly a week of tinnitus.

Was sat right in front of the speakers at the edge of the stage for the London Haswell/AE show last year, no problem.

After the haswell/ae show my ears rang for about 3 days, at least. I mean, isn't that sad? ...that we have to use earplugs when listenig to our heros! Not fun!

For my job I need 20/20 (or whatever the equivalent is for ears :lol:) hearing so the above is actually one of the reasons I tend to stay away from live performances!

BLOC 2010 was Haswell / Autechre, I didn't do earplugs for that one. Tinnitus lasted a few days

My Bloody Valentine, 2008. No earplugs again - the tinnitus lasted literally about 2 weeks.

Holy moly - Were you worried it'd be permanent after MBV ?

Yeah I was a bit worried to be honest. It was fucking idiotic of me to not bother with the earplugs.

Still the best live music thing I've been to, and likely will ever go to.

I went to a Sunn O))) gig without earplugs ten years ago, and I don't think my ears recovered from it. Since then I've always carried them on my keyring and will have them at least partially inserted at most gigs. It's just not worth the risk of further damage. If you have good enough plugs, they don't muffle as badly as the foam ones.. and if you put them in before the music starts, it'll be easier to get used to the sound.

lol I can't believe I'm having to educate people about the importance of ear health on a fkn idm forum..

I don't get why having to wear earplugs at gigs is even a thing - why don't artists just play quieter?

Yeah, can't wait to see Sunn at 104db.

Even at 104dB the "safe" exposure time without earplugs is about 8 minutes per 24 hours. You don't start getting down to manageable 1-hour chunks until 91dB or so. I don't know why the standard for a lot of venues is to try to rip your ears off these days, but I put my earplugs in before I even get to the doors now.

I don't get why having to wear earplugs at gigs is even a thing - why don't artists just play quieter?

Even at 104dB the "safe" exposure time without earplugs is about 8 minutes per 24 hours. You don't start getting down to manageable 1-hour chunks until 91dB or so. I don't know why the standard for a lot of venues is to try to rip your ears off these days, but I put my earplugs in before I even get to the doors now.

I'm talking shit obviously, but I do want to believe it's different for a Sunn O))) gig. Biggest plus is them not having much or any mids or highs, so it's a lot more bearable? I never had much trouble with the ears after a Sunn gig, but most stuff live is torture without earplugs. Especially the last time I saw Venetian Snares, that really fucked my ears up.

I'm talking shit obviously, but I do want to believe it's different for a Sunn O))) gig. Biggest plus is them not having much or any mids or highs, so it's a lot more bearable? I never had much trouble with the ears after a Sunn gig, but most stuff live is torture without earplugs. Especially the last time I saw Venetian Snares, that really fucked my ears up.

Yeah I could see heavy stuff being a little more tolerable but stuff like Snares or Squarepusher would be hellish without plugs. I forgot plugs for Migration Fest (a metal fest) and my ears felt fine, but if I hadn't had plugs at DfN I would have been miserable (big ups to xxx for saving my ass day 1)

Archived