IGNORED

my annual attempt to appreciate cornfield

Fred McGriff

Guest contrapunctus

this album always seems incredibly striking when I listen to it whilst feeling wired or sleep deprived. very strange, the only music that affects me like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest transfer

I understood Confield pretty much right away when I bought it in 2001. Confield is Autechre's most important release because that's where they started to use what I call Confieldian/asymmetrical beat structures.......really asymmetrical stuff. Aphex hasn't even really used those kind of arrangements.......the only people that Iv'e really heard, besides Autechre, use asymmetrical arrangements are Phthalocyanine, Peter "Baby" Ford, and About This Product.

Edited by transfer

Guest transfer
can you be more specific on which tracks? im sure there are some but i find a lot of the beats on this album whilst complex to be very symmetrical

I think you are right it isn't completly asymmetrical.......but the track Cfern has this drunk, clonky, broken feel to it that I I don't see(hear) happening in Autechre's music pre-Confield. Their track Surripere has that drunk, broken, clonky and an asymmetrical illusion to as well. Oh yeah when Sim Gishel hits the 5:58 mark that same feel (broken, asymmetrical illusion) comes back again. I think that broken, clonky rhythmic style is what makes people somewhat confused when they listen to Confield but I love it:).

Guest transfer

Forgot to add that Surripere is from Draft 7.30 not Confield. That style of arrangement used on Surripere,I think imo, started with some of the tracks on Confield and not before Confield.......this is what makes Confield so important and like I said before, I think, makes this particular "Confieldian" arrangement style harder, for some, to digest(mentally) than releases pre-Confield. I'll add, I love what they've(Autechre) have been doing from Confield to Untilted.

Edited by transfer

Guest transfer

Maybe oblique arrangement is a better way of describing what I am hearing in Autechre's tracks Confield and post-Confield.....still an important development in music imo.

Guest transfer

In post #32 where I typed "clonky and asymmetrical illusion to as well" I mean, "clonky and asymmetrical illusion too as well".

Edited by transfer

Anyone wanting to appreciate Confield deeper should track down ex-watmmer enceys' Confield Guide, a huge second by second essay on the production of the album.

no they should just put the earphones on.

Exactly.

Either your ears or open but your mind is closed. Or you just don't like it.

Anyone wanting to appreciate Confield deeper should track down ex-watmmer enceys' Confield Guide, a huge second by second essay on the production of the album.

Do it for me? :ok:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Endoplasmic Reticulum

draft 7.30 puts confield to shame. confield has poor cover art, also

Confield doesn't need any cover art. It's too brilliant.

Exactly. What does it matter what the cover looks like? It's just like wrapping paper. Look at Tri Repetae, that's some seriously lacking cover art, but the music is still great.

• 5 months later...
Guest mushroom

I'd like to note that I've "gotten" Confield now. Parhelic Triangle is one of the best tracks I've ever heard.