IGNORED

my annual attempt to appreciate cornfield

Fred McGriff

Guest Rook

I may be the only one, but confield was the most instantaneous Ae album for me. I knew it was my favorite the first time I heard it. I cant even choose a best track, they are all ridiculous.

Guest Rook

Confield>Draft. By a long shot. Although I really dig Draft.

I really like the first track on draft, and the second track is slowly becoming really good, although at first I didnt really like it that much.

In post #32 where I typed "clonky and asymmetrical illusion to as well" I mean, "clonky and asymmetrical illusion too as well".

GEFD24415.jpg

GEFD24420.jpg

sweet Fred -- i learned to enjoy Cornfeld once i could tap 1,2,3,4 or whatever to each beat; they really do have some funky awesome rhythms in there

Guest Rook

Haha "coRnfield". I once read a review that said that in latter autechre, 4/4 beats were unheard of. Actually most of it is in 4/4. Even gantz graf. In fact, most of confield is in 4/4 except parts of Pen Expers, Bine, and parts of Lentic Catachresis. Well I guess and Vi scose poise. But most of Pen expers and Lentic are in 4/4.

i'm actually listening to confield for the first time in aaaages at the moiment, and i dunno if it's the change in my musical tastes in the interim or wha, but it's a lot more melodic than i remember it being.

• Like 1

Guest mushroom

Autechre has this wonderful ability to obfuscate melody to the point where you question whether it's there or if you're just imagining it. Like when I heard Gantz Graf for the second or third time, I thought to myself "Wow, are those little synth ticks in the background really forming a little tune? Because if they are, god damn, that's clever." And then the constantly pitch-shifting percussion started revealing other little hidden shards of melody, and now I listen to it and hear a complete order, rather than the cacophany I thought it was before. That's why I love Autechre: they can take pure chaos in the form of a totally static, unchanging music file and force it into a perfect, clear order just by having you listen to it a few times. That's more than can be said about most electronic music artists who throw in snare rushes just for the sake of snare rushing.

Edited by mushroom

Guest Rook

Yea, how cool is squeller. You hear the synth melody before it even comes in because its like programmed into the drums or something. The first time I heard it, I was like the drums are awesome. The second time I realized the melody starts from the first second of the track.

And yea, even gantz graf is in 4/4. At first I was just like whoa, noize. Then I was like, whoa, melodies and sweet beats.

Confield is the best album, suckers.

Guest Enter a new display name
headphones + darkroom + bine = vicious nightmares

I agree.

I've been trying to get into this album for about 8 months or so, and try as I may it just ain't happening. VI Scose Poise (great track to open an album), Pen Expers, and Uviol do it for me but that's about it. While I like the occasional mindphuk as much as the next Ae fanboy, the rest of the tracks are just wobbly, unnerving, and provide little-to-no listening enjoyment. My kudos to y'all who "get it."

I love pretty much everything from Amber thru LP5 (a effing brilliant album).

Guest Rook

Confield is best listened to really late at night, in the dark, with no one else around, when your tired. But dont fall asleep. It is like the fastest hour of my life.

It also does indeed lend itself to some headphones, especially Cfern, and well I guess every track really. Uviol is probably my favorite ambient type ae track.

I've been trying to get into this album for about 8 months or so, and try as I may it just ain't happening. VI Scose Poise (great track to open an album), Pen Expers, and Uviol do it for me but that's about it. While I like the occasional mindphuk as much as the next Ae fanboy, the rest of the tracks are just wobbly, unnerving, and provide little-to-no listening enjoyment. My kudos to y'all who "get it."

I love pretty much everything from Amber thru LP5 (a effing brilliant album).

Give it a try every once in a while. I didn't like it for a loooong time and eventually it just "clicked"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blutac
Confield is best listened to really late at night, in the dark, with no one else around, when your tired. But dont fall asleep. It is like the fastest hour of my life.

Couldn't have said it better

draft then confield then the rest for me.

the album art for draft i feel, perfectly represents the songs. tons of mechanical chaos with a string of melody winding in and out....it's wonderful.

The Confield album art make sense with the music if you've ever seen it animated . It was on a little micro-site at Warp, it expanded, it was part of a much larger scale. The artwork is single frame from that. I wish somebody would have saved it.

THe poster is also nice, I wonder if anybody cut it in half (it has perforations)

The Confield album art make sense with the music if you've ever seen it animated . It was on a little micro-site at Warp, it expanded, it was part of a much larger scale. The artwork is single frame from that. I wish somebody would have saved it.

THe poster is also nice, I wonder if anybody cut it in half (it has perforations)

i love the album art on that one... some sort of crystal landscape... perfect.

i'd really like to see that animation now!

ditto

thats interesting, i never knew that the confield artwork is from a larger, animated piece. i dont really dig that particular cover for some reason, so id love to see it in a bigger context, maybe id appreciate it more... confiled and lp5 covers were designed by autechre themsevles.

lp5 has a cover? mine doesn't. just a gray jewel case, ae engraved.

i "understood" and adored confield the moment i first heard it. and it's still my favorite autechre.

interesting the directory is called confileid

possibly the origin of the album title, mangled ae-style?

That is interesting...

lp5 has a cover? mine doesn't. just a gray jewel case, ae engraved.

i "understood" and adored confield the moment i first heard it. and it's still my favorite autechre.

yeah, thats the cover of lp5. the LP version is a grey card cover with autechre emossed on the sleeve.

• 15 years later...