IGNORED

AE V BOC

Guest feargus

Guest transfer
Early autechre is better than most BoC. After about tri-repetae though, I would have to say that BoC have slowly taken the advantage .

This is the classic argument with Autechre I hear time and time again........I guess those who don't care that much for Autechre's music after Tri Repetae are not into inventive music?

this is just the worst argument of all time- next up datach'i vs debussy.

You told this joke on slsk yesterday, get some new material!

Guest transfer
I would say Autechre didn't even hit their peak until post Tri-Rep.

I think you're right.......Confield seems to be that peak for the present moment imo. If they go in an ambient or academic influenced electro-acoustic direction, like their collaboration with Hafler Trio, which was wicked imo, there could be another peak.

Guest mushroom

I would go so far as to say they haven't peaked yet. Every single album they've released has been something really special (aside from Amber, which is merely "good"). Seriously, there is something wrong with you if you doubt Autechre's musical skill after hearing Ipacial Section and Pro Radii. They're consistently fresh and interesting and entertaining and technically impressive and other adjectives; they've never "peaked", they're constantly rising, setting electronic music standards all over the god damned place. I wish I could still say the same for Aphex, sadly.

Early autechre is better than most BoC. After about tri-repetae though, I would have to say that BoC have slowly taken the advantage .

This is the classic argument with Autechre I hear time and time again........I guess those who don't care that much for Autechre's music after Tri Repetae are not into inventive music?

To each their own. It's a matter of personal taste when it boils down to it. And I wouldn't go as far as assuming that people who aren't into ae after tri repetae aren't into inventive music, whatever "inventive" is supposed to represent.

To elaborate further and imo, ae took on a harsher more metallic sound post tri repetae that I personally have a harder time listening to. Sure I can appreciate complexities in music and the skill in programming required to arrive at such soundscapes, but when it comes to aural enjoyment, sometimes I just want a good head nodding beat accompanied by an original, encompassing melody. There are times when I'm in a mood to listen to more complex beat arrangements and whatnot (if ae could be lumped into this category), but generally not so. That is why I chose to state that I enjoy early ae.

Guest transfer
I would go so far as to say they haven't peaked yet. Every single album they've released has been something really special (aside from Amber, which is merely "good"). Seriously, there is something wrong with you if you doubt Autechre's musical skill after hearing Ipacial Section and Pro Radii. They're consistently fresh and interesting and entertaining and technically impressive and other adjectives; they've never "peaked", they're constantly rising, setting electronic music standards all over the god damned place. I wish I could still say the same for Aphex, sadly.

Sure they're "adjectives" but I tend to organize Autechre's work pre-Confield/post-Confield.......they're on to something and I think it started with Confield. Just my opinion.

I agree with that guy. Autechre just move with the times and make whatever seems right, hense albums like Untilted, which is a fucking excellent album. Usually a band will make a shit album and get slowly worse and worse, but Autechre keep taking different directions so it's not as if they'll improve or get crappier, they'll just be surprising. The only band where I have no idea what is going to happen on the next release.

Aphex I don't think is trying to push the envelope anymore. But he's still making wicked music so I can't complain.

The only way to settle this is with a cage match.

I think this sort of outcome is inevitable. Proposing Ae v BoC is irresponsible and potentially cataclysmic. Two on two is fine, but do you really think it's going to stop there? Before you know it the whole ugly business will escalate and we'll have Hexagon Sun v Gescom. Skam v Music 70, with Warp caught up uncomfortably somewhere in the middle. Gang warfare of apocalyptic proportions.

The only way to settle this is with a cage match. I'd watch out for Sean, he doesn't look like someone you'd want to mess with.

This is why we need a Warp Youtube channel, RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest contrapunctus

they have some musical similarities, ecspecially boc and early autechre, but they're completely opposed in terms of their methods. I recall on of the ae guys in an interview ripping into musicians who would stubbornly employ the same technique's and signature's when making music *coughs*boards of canada*coughs*. regardless, the most important thing they have in common is great music.

Archived