IGNORED

drukqs prepared piano

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here's what it says in the booklet from Warp Works 20th century Masters:

"John Cage and Aphex Twin both altered the machinery of the piano: Cage by inserting rubbers, screws and bolts into the mechanism, transforming it into a gamelan of detuned sounds, Aphex more simply, by laying chains across the strings."

Hope that helps...

Oh yeah, some cunt didn't check the grammar and spelling in that booklet properly before it was printed, I hope they got a good hiding!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
nanou2 sounds human

a thought: since it's midi, he could very well have played out a few takes and recorded the _midi_ data, not the audio, then tweaked it to his liking... then sent the finished midi to the disklavier and recorded the audio...

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

overdubbing allows anyone to achieve the illusion of multiple arms.

...but it takes some talent to do it with the feel of all the arms at once.

Guest transfer
i thought everybody knew what a prepared piano is...anyway most of the Cage stuff i heard is shit (sorry Johnny). he released an album with Sun Ra that totally sucked ass.

don't be hatin on cage, the sonatas and interludes for prepared piano are wicked

Cage has put out wicked music!! imho

Guest transfer
i dont know jack shit. he might as well never have touched a real piano without a sequencer and uses the mouse for every single melody he makes, disregarding the fact that it takes ages compared to just playing the melody with the keyboard with some degree of proficiency

im just guessing. learning to play an instrument is hard, but it's not that hard. it's infinitely harder to compose a full piece of good electronic music, and is the reason drukqs doesn't sound the same as surfing on sinewaves

Surfing On Sine Waves is better than Drukqs imho.

i dont know jack shit. he might as well never have touched a real piano without a sequencer and uses the mouse for every single melody he makes, disregarding the fact that it takes ages compared to just playing the melody with the keyboard with some degree of proficiency

im just guessing. learning to play an instrument is hard, but it's not that hard. it's infinitely harder to compose a full piece of good electronic music, and is the reason drukqs doesn't sound the same as surfing on sinewaves

Surfing On Sine Waves is better than Drukqs imho.

they're different, hard to compare.. i definitely love surfing on sinewaves though, it has a nice sound image, warmth, simplicity doesn't always mean something's bad.

drukqs is more accomplished and technically polished from a musicians standpoint however.. doesn't make it better but it's different from surfing on sinewaves

Archived