IGNORED

Go-plastic influences on drill&bass/breakcore

awepittance

A lot of people make mention of the Plug drum and bass for papa being one of the first of many drill albums to come.

What are the opinions here on the influence Go-plastic had?

I think it had a huge influence, especially on artists like Venetian snares, 8 frozen modules and countless other glitchy breakcore artists.

One thing i always try to imagine is what if Go-plastic came out in 2006, would it be as praised and sound as technically amazing by today's standards?

I think it would, and to this day i have not heard a more complex and well thought out/composed drill & bass album. I think Squarepusher should make a go-plastic 2 just to show up all the modern day sp sound-alikes.

Guest transfer
A lot of people make mention of the Plug drum and bass for papa being one of the first of many drill albums to come.

What are the opinions here on the influence Go-plastic had?

I think it had a huge influence, especially on artists like Venetian snares, 8 frozen modules and countless other glitchy breakcore artists.

One thing i always try to imagine is what if Go-plastic came out in 2006, would it be as praised and sound as technically amazing by today's standards?

I think it would, and to this day i have not heard a more complex and well thought out/composed drill & bass album. I think Squarepusher should make a go-plastic 2 just to show up all the modern day sp sound-alikes.

I have not heard all of Go Plastic.......but I will say this "drill n' bass" is so mid to late 90's. HAB,RDJ album,90's Squarepusher, Plug, Spymania,etc.. Analord came out for a reason.

i definately think it still sounds fresh

it's bloody brilliant i say...

i think sp still has it in him to make another go plastic, i don't know if he wants to, go the dsp route, because really, he seems to do original albums then wipe the creative slate clean, and then moves on. what i mean is, no two squarepusher album sound alike. i reallly would appreciate another though that's for damn sure...

Guest Glass Plate

yeah, I would love it. Go plastic was his first album I heard, and it turned me off from listening to the rest for a bit, because I kept hoping for more go plastic.

Guest Cool-Boredom

it maybe had an influence but breakcore already had its foundations elsewhere - certainly prior to Go Plastic. Go back a further 3-4 years and Digital Hardcore like Shizuo and Patric C were rinsing tunes out that were equally if not more than an influence.

No gayness here tho i still love the album up

it maybe had an influence but breakcore already had its foundations elsewhere - certainly prior to Go Plastic. Go back a further 3-4 years and Digital Hardcore like Shizuo and Patric C were rinsing tunes out that were equally if not more than an influence.

No gayness here tho i still love the album up

im well aware of DHR and glitchy drill tracks by alec empire from that era, however Go plastic created a distinctove shift in the way people glitched out their beats. The rythmic on time glitches/glitch breakdowns that seem to never repeat are very unique to Go plastic imo.

using what he's brought out previously as some sort of yardstick, the next one should be a real headfuck.

not that the new one isnt, its just less so. I must say it was ever so slightly underwhelming. Not that it isnt great. It's just not ridiculously mind blowing like it oughta be.

And yesh i can never imagine getting bored of Go plastic

using what he's brought out previously as some sort of yardstick, the next one should be a real headfuck.

not that the new one isnt, its just less so. I must say it was ever so slightly underwhelming. Not that it isnt great. It's just not ridiculously mind blowing like it oughta be.

And yesh i can never imagine getting bored of Go plastic

while on the subject of Go plastic can anyone help point to the first series of releases to come ou post Go-plastic that heavily borrowed from its technique?

Besides the Vsnares - Doll, music for cats releases i cant specifcally point to anymore immediatly following go plastic.

while on the subject of Go plastic can anyone help point to the first series of releases to come ou post Go-plastic that heavily borrowed from its technique?

Besides the Vsnares - Doll, music for cats releases i cant specifcally point to anymore immediatly following go plastic.

I wouldnt say Doll Doll Doll was that influenced by Go plastic, or music for Cats coming to think of it. I'd say that out of any V-snares albums that sound like theyve been influenced by Go Plastic, it would have to be Chocolate wheelchair

I've heard the same thing, about DnB for Papa being the birth of Drill N Bass. I cant see where that comes from though. Its a great album, but doesnt sound like drill at all to me.

As someone has mentioned already, Breakcore had already established foundations long before Go Plastic came out. What seems more likely to me is that SP has done his usual thing and pooled together a lot of influences and shaped them in his own special way. Its a really cool and clever blend, but not that inovative. I heard the saying "in music you either have to be innovative, or definative" and I think that applies to Go Plastic pretty well. There is so much to be taken from the album, and no one will ever attempt that kind of super jungle style again. But the influences are plain to see.

Sure he has it in him to create another Go Plastic, but what would be the point? Because of the nature of the album, the methods used are plain to see. Its not like drugs where there are so many sounds which leave you scratching your head going "how the fuck?!?!" Nearly everything on GP is clever programming of sounds that everybody has access to. Once he'd made this album, its possible for loads of people to create their own go plasticy type stuff. Anyone who can work there way around a sequencer and has a decent ear. But it will never be as good as how he did it. Its like a road map to superjungleville.

However I do think its been a massively influential album on many producers. I've always thought that bilious paths had a fair amount of GP influence, as well as some of V-snares stuff to name just a couple. I know for a fact that Im influenced by it (amongst other things) and Im sure most of you are too.

Archived