IGNORED

How come there isn't a Plaid sub-forum?

Guest mo'quinda

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mo'quinda
i think it's because plaid only released two decent albums whereas the other artists featured on this board have a slightly more impressive discography.

if there is one artist who we might need to consider to become one of the featured artists i think it's venetian snares. the man has some serious evidence at hand to claim his spot.

Bugger, I hope it's the two I've got. Should I get Not for threes or not?

theyve been extremely hit or miss for me.

theres some tracks which I still like, but most of the other stuff is just forgetable.

they have good sounds, and good melodies, but only good... not great. It all sounds nice, but its just forgetable.

imo

theyve been extremely hit or miss for me.

theres some tracks which I still like, but most of the other stuff is just forgetable.

they have good sounds, and good melodies, but only good... not great. It all sounds nice, but its just forgetable.

imo

That's how I feel about them... some of their songs are good, but the majority are just forgettable.

plaid have always received less love in the more purist electronic music circles. they are, however, quite possibly my favourite artists in the 'genre'.

i think it's because their skill and creativity lie not in making crunchy, wacky, never-before-heard sounds, but rather in their song construction, use of tempo, time signatures, and harmonic / melodic structure. more traditional innovation, rather than purely sonic exploration. when i first got into plaid i was just amazed by some of the transpositions and progressions they used - where certain notes almost seemed wrong but the resolution that followed made everything ok... perhaps a bit difficult to explain but i've always loved how they create music.

just my 'pinion.

c

i agree. and i think they have a nice attention to detail in their songs, layering subtle octaves and effects expressively, while keeping their songs fairly straightforward and accessible.

encey

Should I get Not for threes or not?

yeah, i think it's their best album.

plaid are awesome

if you like them check out balil or tura

mouse on mars are also cool don't even front

Werd. I like how some people say Plaid aren't consistent, when Mike P obviously only had one good album and every one of the other WATMM featured artists besides BOC has released some really shitty material at one point (Smojphace, Untilted, DYKS). Plaid is one of the most consistent electronic music acts out there and never released any shitty material like the other WATMM artists. Plaid and Mouse On Mars are definitely worthy of being mentioned with the WATMM featured artists.

Guest endangered betche
Plaid is one of the most consistent electronic music acts out there and never released any shitty material like the other WATMM artists.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Spokes sucked donkey balls!

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

...and I actually like Plaid, maybe even more than Squarepusher, and definitely more than Snares. But they're not worthy of WATMM. And here's why: as Plaid, and ONLY Plaid, they have not released enough quality material to qualify. Now, if you include Trainer era stuff and all the Black Dog tracks, then, maybe. Yet, as someone else mentioned, they are very hit or miss. Maybe more than any of the featured artists on this forum. Also, as ONLY Plaid, they have not made a groundbreaking album:

BOC - MHTRTC

AFX - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Squarepusher - Music Is Rotted One Note

U-Ziq - Tango N'Vectif

Autechre - Tri Rep

The above are examples of albums that have expanded the boundaries of electronic music. Has Plaid done that? Obviously not. Does Plaid get a subforum? No.

End of discussion.

:jedi:

Plaid is one of the most consistent IDM acts out there

one of the main reasons I don't like them - they've got the same shitty sound on every album - oh it's that plaid feel, how quaint! they haven't evolved over time like all the other good artists

Guest Avant-Tronic
if i want whacky tongue-in-cheek "stupid" electronic music i'll roll mouse on mars

LOL! it seems everybody like to hate on MoM because they are so damn good.thats why i like them. There more than a electronic band.

Guest Avant-Tronic

I think plaid are releasing 2 albums next year, because there dvd album Greedy Baby was finished in 04, and they said they might release it in May of 06. they might be working an another album now.

plaid have always received less love in the more purist electronic music circles. they are, however, quite possibly my favourite artists in the 'genre'.

i think it's because their skill and creativity lie not in making crunchy, wacky, never-before-heard sounds, but rather in their song construction, use of tempo, time signatures, and harmonic / melodic structure. more traditional innovation, rather than purely sonic exploration. when i first got into plaid i was just amazed by some of the transpositions and progressions they used - where certain notes almost seemed wrong but the resolution that followed made everything ok... perhaps a bit difficult to explain but i've always loved how they create music.

just my 'pinion.

c

Sounds like a good discripton of Black Dog, not Plaid. Altough I think Plaid has some great tracks.

Plaid is one of the most consistent electronic music acts out there and never released any shitty material like the other WATMM artists.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Spokes sucked donkey balls!

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

...and I actually like Plaid, maybe even more than Squarepusher, and definitely more than Snares. But they're not worthy of WATMM. And here's why: as Plaid, and ONLY Plaid, they have not released enough quality material to qualify. Now, if you include Trainer era stuff and all the Black Dog tracks, then, maybe. Yet, as someone else mentioned, they are very hit or miss. Maybe more than any of the featured artists on this forum. Also, as ONLY Plaid, they have not made a groundbreaking album:

BOC - MHTRTC

AFX - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Squarepusher - Music Is Rotted One Note

U-Ziq - Tango N'Vectif

Autechre - Tri Rep

The above are examples of albums that have expanded the boundaries of electronic music. Has Plaid done that? Obviously not. Does Plaid get a subforum? No.

End of discussion.

:jedi:

What the fuck are you talking about?

So now we reach the point where an artist has to have delivered an album that conforms to WATMM's ideal?

Plaid have made awesome melodies over the years and I don't see why they are any less important than BOC, Autechre etc.

Is that they are not 'hardcore' enough for people?

Someone mentioned that Snares should get a forum. Give me a fucking break.

Snares? LOL

when i first got into plaid i was just amazed by some of the transpositions and progressions they used - where certain notes almost seemed wrong but the resolution that followed made everything ok... perhaps a bit difficult to explain but i've always loved how they create music.

just my 'pinion.

c

Exactly.

Guest mo'quinda
if i want whacky tongue-in-cheek "stupid" electronic music i'll roll mouse on mars

Oh, and isn't Lunatic Harness the definitive stupid-can-be-good album?

Hey maybe that's a new thread. I'm getting the hang of this.

Archived