IGNORED

nine inch nails - year zero

playbynumbers

Yeah there is a fair bit of repetition, particularly in the beats. He uses the Me, I'm Not drum loop in several different tracks it seems, sped up or slowed down or reprocessed. Intentional I'm sure, but it does contribute to that "same-iness". I've only listened to it three times, so I'm still enjoying the hell out of it with each listen.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree that there is a similar sound to nearly every track.. but it doesn't detract from the songs as songs themselves.

i'm enjoying me, i'm not, the great destroyer, and meet your master.

better than with teeth. "capital G" is the next single. what a fuckin shit song. i dont like survivalism that much either compared to the rest. way to put out the shittiest tracks on the album as singles. i guess they are the most lyrically "potent."

couple really good tracks on here though. tick tick ticking away is great. i kept bracing for the really loud shitty vocal chorus to rip the song apart like mr. T kicking a door down, but it never happened, so the song stays awesome throughout. me, i'm not is good. last track is good. couple other good shits on there. the best parts of the album are definitely when he's not singing, like the last half of god given. i cant think of one vocal highlight that i want to keep hearing. maybe the 70s opera rock style "GREAT DETROYEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!" or maybe "I PUSH DA BUTTON" in capital G, just to laugh.

in other news, tel afon tel aviv is releasing a remix of "even deeper," one of my fav. tracks off the fragile. looking forward to hearing that: amazon

maybe the 70s opera rock style "GREAT DETROYEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!" or maybe "I PUSH DA BUTTON" in capital G, just to laugh.

i actually like the way he says "i am the great destroy-ahhh" at the end of the first verse, but it made me cringe when the second verse ended... i can stand it now, i guess. i really like the way he delivers the verses in god given and me, i'm not. but, as always, he's not the greatest lyricist ever. definitely not the worst, though.

Guest dinner at my house

I think its better to hate the entire album than pick a few good songs apart and praise them.

Guest mushroom

I'm actually going to be embarassed around my friends when Capitol G comes out as a single, because I used to be such a hardcore NIN fan. How do you go from making Closer to that shit? In any amount of time? Seriously.

Whatever, Capitol G's great fun. It's a very obvious pick for a single too, one of the hookiest choruses of the lot. It's worlds apart from anything on Downward Spiral. He's been there, done that.

I thought I knew you man...

Guest dinner at my house
Whatever, Capitol G's great fun. It's a very obvious pick for a single too, one of the hookiest choruses of the lot. It's worlds apart from anything on Downward Spiral. He's been there, done that.

the new NIN album has turned people into mindless drones! "One of the hookiest choruses..." You thought you knew NIN...you thought you knew your friends...you were dead wrong.

the new NIN album has turned people into mindless drones! "One of the hookiest choruses..." You thought you knew NIN...you thought you knew your friends...you were dead wrong.

How can I be sure you're not one of THEM either!?

Guest Ron Manager
in other news, tel afon tel aviv is releasing a remix of "even deeper," one of my fav. tracks off the fragile. looking forward to hearing that: amazon

there are some good tracks on that comp. i'll have to look out for it.

He's always had hooky choruses. I'm surprised anyone's surprised this is where it's all lead.

• 5 months later...
a deluxe gatefold vinyl edition of this album was released last week ... mine is in the mail. the price is a bit steep though; $35

no offense but is this album even close to worth that?? I thought it was kind of blah. Though I did like a few songs?

Yeah, I thought it was a huge step up from the tooth album. In fact, I guess I too really liked it. I've only listened to it like 5 times though, which is unprecedented for a NIN album. I should probably get back on that shit.

i think i'm literally the only person on earth (including reznor, presumably) who likes WT/YZ more than TDS

i do too, although i would add the fragile to that list

Guest Moebius

Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Broken, PHM are all quite high up for me. Year Zero a little below those. With Teeth is waaaaaay lower.

Guest Mod Mozart

Trent falls into the same category as all those other angst ridden rock stars who emerged from the 90's alive. Basically, you only make good rock music when you're young and desperate and when you still have something to be angry about, NOT when you're in your mid thirties/early forties, have gotten over your addictions and make millions of dollars. If people think that NIN's music has become "safe" that's because IT IS!

Trent falls into the same category as all those other angst ridden rock stars who emerged from the 90's alive. Basically, you only make good rock music when you're young and desperate and when you still have something to be angry about, NOT when you're in your mid thirties/early forties, have gotten over your addictions and make millions of dollars. If people think that NIN's music has become "safe" that's because IT IS!

i agree with this concept. not necessarily in regard to NIN because i don't listen to them. however, reznor seems pretty cool.

Guest Mod Mozart
i don't care about whether or not the music is 'safe' or whether he keeps it real or whatever, i care about how the music sounds

Yeah, and it sounds safe, meaning, it has no balls, it's not interesting and it doesn't excite me. Whomp whomp.

Yah I think people are saying that it sounds no good BECAUSE it's playing it safe. Not that they think it sounds good, but because its playing it safe they don't like it.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone likes anyhing by NIN after TDS. Perhaps his new "out of my record contract" shizzle will be fo rizzle.

Archived