IGNORED

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum

Guest tobacco

our 3rd full-length record

out on graveface (southern) april 17

Sun Lips

ah.....that song is wonderful.....very Beatlesesque.....looking forward to the full-length!

I've recently got into both this band and the Octopus Project through randomly stumbling upon the collaboration. Really like the stuff, am looking forward to this :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
the only thing that annoys me a little is that half of the (really good) 'lost picking flowers in the woods' is on there. in the past there's been double-ups like that but it was usually because the other records were out of print... or they were pre-BMSR proper. kind of a mild complaint seeing that despite that there's a excellent 40 minute album there... i'd just be interested to know why they did it.

i guess theres a theme to the album, and those songs were part of the theme:

"Dandelion Gum" (2007) is a loosely based concept record about witches who make candy in the forest. Each of its 16 songs represent a different candy-induced freakout in the gooiest and sweetest ways possible. Songs that are built to stick in your head for hours meet textures that are impossible to scrape off your teeth. You might not even realize that the sunny melody you're humming to yourself all day has so many hidden layers behind it - all hummable as well. It's as accessible of a record as it is abstract, and as bright on the surface as it is moody underneath. "Dandelion Gum" feels as colorful and sticky as its name suggests. Recorded over the course of 3 years, "Dandelion Gum" is a product of the woods. It is deeply inspired by stories passed down from relatives and ones the band created themselves after long nights in the cabin. The best of those stories, and one that we hope could be true, is of the sisters who refused to leave their shack deep within the forest. The sisters (or witches as they are lovingly referred to in local folklore) were truly scary and it is said they would concoct all kinds of sugary treats for anyone foolish or adventurous enough to wander that deep. Most likely, this is an allegory for drugs and you can come up with whatever seemingly appropriate type of operation those women were running. But the stories of the individuals who made it back home are some of the most fucked up stories around. Some are really bright, some are really sad, and some are designed to make you think about life and rainbows and death. BMSR wants you to feel that when listening to this record. And then they want you to remember it all day, and try it again tomorrow...

Archived