IGNORED

Smashing Pumpkins - "Zeitgeist"

Solo Strike

I know some of you guys will give a damn, new album announced :)

I feel cautiously optimistic about this and seeing them live again. If it totally sucks then I know for sure I will be HUGELY disappointed. They are also touring a lot of rather shitty looking European festivals from June....

well, even being able to say they're still my number one band of all time and that i love virtually everything they've done as TSP, i'm really scared about this. it pissed me off to no end that they broke up years ago, when i saw them at a creative peak, but now so much has changed and billy does have a tendency to force things way too much alot of the time, so i'm really hoping this isn't a big pile of shit that everyone will buy because of the band's name on it. it also scares me that this is the album's title. wtf is billy thinking. it would really make me sad to see TSP make their own "With Teeth".

*crosses fingers*

although, on the other hand...as long as billy and jimmy are there, i have reason to believe it will rock. i know most people hated them but i followed zwan since their first live show and all the way until the end, and despite the album being less than great compared to all the dozens of live tracks that didn't make the album, they were still a showcase of billy and jimmy playing in top form. to me (and probably many others) those two are the bones of TSP and so i could really give a fuck who they got to play bass and rhythm guitar live, as long as billy and jimmy are there being the creative center of the band, i think i'll be happy.

its basically going to be Zwan (which i liked their album "mary star of the sea") but with the replacement bassist van der aug whateverhernameis. i dont see Iha and definatly not D'arcy coming back

Billy should of only gotten the band back together if ALL the original members came back otherwise he's just doing an Axl and the return of 'Guns n' Roses' was pretty dire comparing to say the use your illusion tours!

which might be a case for the pumpkins

who knows.. i'd love it if they released a wicked album, but i dont see them topping SD or MCIS. Like i said it could sound like another Zwan, billy needs to stop being a hippy/poet and get that big muff Fuzz pedal out of the cupboard and unleash some fucking huge songs just the way we like the pumpkins

Guest catsonearth

i'm vaguely excited. zwan was a lot better than i expected and i actually kinda liked the future embrace, so we'll see. i absolutely hated machina though. left a bad taste in my mouth. but if they can recreate or reinvent that gish/siamese/mellon collie sound, i'd be very happy. i loved the pumpkins to death in my teens, i was one of the few that really liked adore even, but once they came out with machina i lost interest.

Guest analogue wings

Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails... :unhappy:

Dear WATMM,

Please stop liking shite bands.

Love,

Analogue

I'm not holding out much hope. Like someone said, it would be amazing if they returned to the '91-'95 era pumpkins, but that seems impossible. I really doubt that Darcy and Iha have come back aboard, or else Billy would have been trying to build the hype surrounding a full reunion. What at this point can come about from a band who is not even officially together?

true, but lets not forget when you say 91-95 TSP, billy and jimmy were pretty much doing everything in the studio. so essentially not much would change with or without the other two there. i don't think it really matters to me.

Guest Glass Plate
Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails... :unhappy:

Dear WATMM,

Please stop liking shite bands.

Love,

Analogue

Im with ya on NIN and Tool, but Smashing Pumpkins are pretty god.

all I need is one amazing single/song Ive heard, and then ill buy the album.

because with every single smashing pumpkins release there is and has always been a killer single that opens up to the brilliance of the host album.

thats how i got into them anyway.

true, but lets not forget when you say 91-95 TSP, billy and jimmy were pretty much doing everything in the studio. so essentially not much would change with or without the other two there. i don't think it really matters to me.

True but for me D'arcy and (more so) James were an crucial element to the band's character and personality which made me fall in love with them... many happy memories of the band for me are James' awful jokes when playing live, Bugg Superstar (James' dog) being mentioned all the time, watching videos of shows where the band are clearly all on acid or something, wearing dresses and doing forward rolls on stage, silly things like that that for me made up the bands heart and soul. I can live without D'arcy as I really don't think she'll come back, but I hope James is coming back for live shows, it won't be the same otherwise. Also James did develop as a great guitarist over the years in his own right, his E-bow and effects driven style was really cool.

Not sure if you guys have seen this link before but you should head here http://rspaa.niluje.net

Tons of demos, live shows etc. I'm listening to the 1991-09-xx performance now, Billy playing Gish era songs acoustically to a journalist. Very humble, interesting interview too.

Guest AlexPallas

well it is known he is recording with Jimmy Chamberlain, and thats all that really matters anyway, tho ugh it would be nice to have James back, APC is over anyway.

i'm disgusted to think an electronic music fan wouldn't understand the importance of such a great drummer

true dat

kinda funny considering how many people here like tool. not really trying to compare here but both bands have a sound that is extremely dependent on tight guitar-drum interplay. viva la chamberlain!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moebius

I'm hopeful but only the two of them... man, I really wish they could have gotten the whole team back together.

Still, if they come anywhere near me, I'll go see them... even if the new album sucks, there's so much great older material (and I never saw them the first time around).

Archived