IGNORED

DUBSTEP::::::::::

Atop

nice one.....

raw but indeed a cool bassline.....

here's a track by Vex'd.........

Akkad

tasty!

almost anvil-vapre-era-autechresque, in a way.

i was just thinking about things that sound like dubstep but are not and are not as recent

autechre - recury and some other bits of chiastic slide as well. i was listening to this last night, the shuffled beat, the snare sound, just all very dubsteppy. prolly some other autechre too.

sabres of paradise - wilmot. add some sub and it's skream.

linton kwesi johnson - aka spaceape's dad.

the drum track from some massive attack thing - aka 'prayer' by burial

Edited by kaini

there was a decent interview with ollie skream in an irish music mag recently. apparently his love of reggae and dub is a relatively new thing cos of his DMZ mates. his background is working in a jungle/dnb record shop. he claims the album is so happy cos he made it in the summer, and his new stuff is darker again.

the album is nice, but isn't so representative of his stuff imo, the skreamism stuff is much more to the point.

Anyone hear Pinch's set on Mary Anne Hobbs' show? Probably one of the best sets I've heard on her show:

Set List/Download

pinch is fucking good. he is playing with Kush from record label records in may. You guys should check out Kush arora, he does some very original dubsteppish stuff that crosses over to other genres like dancehall, dub and bhangra.

FULL_MELT_Back.jpg

FULL_MELT_Front_Distance.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

oh sweet baby jesus

this track starts so innocuously, a little snare, a sort of melodica thing, and a reggae vamp.

and then it proceeds to the most evil drop i've ever heard. the bass is more a sort of presence. fuck.

shackleton - naked

i hesitate to label this one dubstep. shackleton's stuff is the fucking shit.

does away with a lot of the tropes that people associate with the genre. only the syncopated kick/snare shit, and the sub (one of the most subtle, excellent uses of sub i've heard) point towards dubstep. it actually reminds me of a late 90s ryuichi sakamoto remix or something.

anyway love this track; it really rewards a nice bassy setup (it sounds WAY better on my proper bedroom setup than this PC) and it's erm deep

shackleton - blood on my hands

lately i'm down with shackleton especially

i have a thing from soulseek that claims to be a split with mordant music. now my understanding is that mordant music would have more in common with ghost box music than dubstep (last.fm claims anyway)... can anyone shed some light on this? seems a rather unlikely split.

kode9 is a lazy bastard, i mean i like his stuff but i've just downloaded a bunch of stuff, and he's just a tad too fond of reversioning lines from memories of the future. i know versioning is sort of an inherited tradition blah blah but if i hear one more derivative of "addiction" i'll be slightly annoyed

I love bass!

why is there no one named Sea Bass yet?

I guess Scuba has the lockdown on the ocean references....

WAH WAH WAH WAHWAHWAHWAH!

• 1 month later...
I'm still trying to like it..

LOL

btw i keep hearing burial and boxcutter being namedropped as 2 of the best producers in this "genre"

burial = boring

boxcutter = shit

sorry - i didn't mean to include burial in this post

must've been thinking of someone else

so i'll just revise it

burial = lush

boxcutter = boring shit