IGNORED

Björk- Volta

Guest jim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

this album is terrible

i liked her for a bit, but homogenic and parts of vespertine are the only things i'm willing to listen to now

bjork's really fucking gopod at picking 'of the moment' producers.

her own shtick is always the same though.

i can't deal with her wackiness.. it's so fucking contrived.

saw her at sonar a few years ago and left half way through the gig to see mark bell dj.

she kept the crowd waiting playing snippets from old warp tracks for about an hour before she hit the stage.

too much diva for my liking.

i liked the sugarcubes though, and it's been a conveniently long time since they released anything, so i can just about forget that arsehole einar was in the band.

Earth entruders is really a good song, too bad bjork is singing on it :tongue:

She really does have a really good voice, but it' skind of limited because her voice is so special that it's always the same thing... I read that this album was raw, back to basics of the body energy and stuff, but it's rather boring, exept for track 1 and the kind of atari teenage riot one... I like the beginning of track 2 as well, with the boat stuff...

Oh and, speaking of boring, Antonny from the johnson's is there on two tracks... Two much !

i fucking love this album.

dull flame of desire is epic. it sorta reminds me of david sylvian circa secrets of the beehive, apart from the vocals obv.

is the vinyl packaging really lush? i think i might buy it on vinyl

The male vocalist on one track reminded me of David Sylvian, except he was kind of wrecking it for me (and usually Sylvian doesn't do that). Secrets of the Beehive is a great album.

I picked up Volta last night and have only listened through once. First impression: I like it. Wasn't blown away, wasn't disappointed, wish it were a few tracks longer. I may yet grow to love it, though I don't think it's going to top Homogenic or Vespertine for me. Definitely stronger overall than Medulla.

The male vocalist on one track reminded me of David Sylvian, except he was kind of wrecking it for me (and usually Sylvian doesn't do that). Secrets of the Beehive is a great album.

that it is. the male(ish) vocalist is notorious transvestite antony hegarty of antony and the johnsons. he's on the last track as well. his solo stuff is fantastic, well i think so anyway, but he is sort of dramatic. bjork has said she was going for a celine dion/barbra streisand two-diva feel with it lolz.

Huh, of all the combinations to go for...

Turns out I hit stop just before the closing track, so I only heard the second Antony Hegarty track today. Again it ruined the song for me. It's funny because he reminds me of two of my favorite male vocalists, (I hear some Jeff Buckley in there too) yet there's something about his delivery that just really puts me off.

Guest philia

sadly this is my least fave bjork album. still there are some gems on it i think, earth intruders.. vert by vert, hope and declare independance. but the rest i find myself skipping.

some of the tunes i felt could have benefited as instrumentals. the music is fine and pretty, but bjork's vocals just felt pasted on top (i see who you are, pneumonia).

and yeah i can't stand antony's vocals and he does ruin both songs for me. even his solo stuff that i've heard... his vocals just sound totally unsincere and forced to me...equivalent to a melodramatic hollywood film/

Archived