IGNORED

Mrs Jynx - Melodic Ditty

Guest Mrs Jynx

Guest Mrs Jynx

Done a small tune and have finally managed to upload it to myspace

Coral Face

Myspace is being a bit of an arse at the moment ...(it might not play)- or maybe it's just my computer.

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Ta!

:cat:

Listening now.... It's nice.... pretty and smooth. It's nothing particularly adventurous or interesting, it's just pleasant, you might wanna think about that with whatever you do next. I think maybe the drums would be the weakest point, they're very repeatitive, and don't realy ad much to the song except to thicken it up. The melodies progress really nicely, but the beat is stagnant.

But overall it's a very pleasant little track :)

Cotemplative and sorrowful I'd say. Melodically and emotionally speaking not my favourite track of yours I would say. Didn't automatically hit me and say 'wo check me out baby!'. That said pretty pleasant track for sure. Definitely would work very nicely in the context as a signing off track on an ep or lp. I'm on listen number two and it is certainly likeable I'd say. Yes I would say its a good track actually. I'm just a sucker for an uplifting tune and this one makes me all sad. :sad:

I'd agree with springymajig about the drums. I'd say some more prominent reverb on the snares and kick would add more over depth to the track.

By the way how do you make your tunes Jynxy?

Guest Mrs Jynx

Thanks springymajig and promo for your comments.

drums are not the main focus for this tune - so thats why they are pretty minimal.

Promo - I use fruity loops with a midi keyboard to play in stuff.

:)

This is a beautiful track(it's sounds like a fieldtriqp song).....I really, really love it......definitely one of my favorites of 2005..........the drums are awesome......thanks for the downloadable mp3(I'm currently burning it to disc along with some other fav EKT tracks) Excellent work!

loafeye

what i like about the drums is the way the melody comes in and sort of gradually goes in a faster rhythm than backs off a bit and then the smooth roll with well defined hits comes in. it was really smooth, worked well with the aesthetic. which was very pretty. nice one.

Guest Josefmcb

mmmm this is nice. not completely whoa or nuffink, i mean it don't grab me and slap me in the face, but that's part of its charm. really nice. i'm gunna listen again.

Guest Chimp Logic

Love this track lady :grin:

I have your stuff on my ipod and constantly spin it. Really damn nice. I love your melodic choices and minimal 'use' of beats. ie: they are not the main focus, your melodies are.

Top stuff. But I already spoke with you about this track, so :tongue:

Peace

Wonderful tune - Absolutely beautiful... I think the idea of a Mrs Jynx Mosca collaboration could be very interesting too...

We really don't hear this level of musicianship often enough in especially electronic music...

My only point (and only having one reservation on the work of someone who's been producing for under a year is quite something!), and this is something I've felt with some of your other work too, is that the music is profoundly captivating, but then, by about half way or two thirds in your interest starts to wander a little, and it's difficult to know why that is because everything's so well done...

In this way, these tunes often remind me of very accomplished videogame soundtracks (especially Yuzo Koshiro's work), where the focus is more on providing an ambience which is stimulating and can be drawn on for as long as is necessary, but doesn't detract from the on-screen action or flow of the game too much...

I think what it is here, is that the lead melodic line repeats all the way through the work without changing, and that gives the piece too much consistency - then the tune almost wastes the opportunity it has to develop or draw the listener in, and just revolves around a single idea which starts to sound drawn out, come the end.

If this were an Aphex Twin tune the melodic line would drop out about half way, maybe 1 third in, and leave a noticable sparseness - then the tune would progress and fill in its own gaps by drawing attention to other aspects, like the drum programming, some improvised delays or one of the compound lines - then towards the later third or quarter of the piece the lead line would re-emerge and create this feeling of familiarity... and that's how the interest is held subtly, without the use of unneccessary samples or very dynamic builds and drops which can get tiresome very quickly on repeated listens...

On the other hand, I often wonder if a key or chord change might not work even more effectively in this work, or perhaps just a little creative use of chromatic harmony, perhaps just on those high notes, or maybe an improvised line or two which would contrast the repetative nature of the piece.

of course, in your own words it's a "ditty", but i think it's only inches away from being something much greater.

Guest Mrs Jynx
Wonderful tune - Absolutely beautiful... I think the idea of a Mrs Jynx Mosca collaboration could be very interesting too...

We really don't hear this level of musicianship often enough in especially electronic music...

My only point (and only having one reservation on the work of someone who's been producing for under a year is quite something!), and this is something I've felt with some of your other work too, is that the music is profoundly captivating, but then, by about half way or two thirds in your interest starts to wander a little, and it's difficult to know why that is because everything's so well done...

In this way, these tunes often remind me of very accomplished videogame soundtracks (especially Yuzo Koshiro's work), where the focus is more on providing an ambience which is stimulating and can be drawn on for as long as is necessary, but doesn't detract from the on-screen action or flow of the game too much...

I think what it is here, is that the lead melodic line repeats all the way through the work without changing, and that gives the piece too much consistency - then the tune almost wastes the opportunity it has to develop or draw the listener in, and just revolves around a single idea which starts to sound drawn out, come the end.

If this were an Aphex Twin tune the melodic line would drop out about half way, maybe 1 third in, and leave a noticable sparseness - then the tune would progress and fill in its own gaps by drawing attention to other aspects, like the drum programming, some improvised delays or one of the compound lines - then towards the later third or quarter of the piece the lead line would re-emerge and create this feeling of familiarity... and that's how the interest is held subtly, without the use of unneccessary samples or very dynamic builds and drops which can get tiresome very quickly on repeated listens...

On the other hand, I often wonder if a key or chord change might not work even more effectively in this work, or perhaps just a little creative use of chromatic harmony, perhaps just on those high notes, or maybe an improvised line or two which would contrast the repetative nature of the piece.

of course, in your own words it's a "ditty", but i think it's only inches away from being something much greater.

Blimey! You HAVE to be J Swift are you not? - with a review like that? haha! Thanks for the suggestions. :wink:

Haha, :fear: yes, and sorry for the long and mildly pretentious reviews I always give you! It's actually really beneficial for me to listen to your work because in many ways we're coming from the same angle... Really helps me get a perspective on what I'm working towards...

Guest cakeface

forgetting about the track that this thread refers to, this is the first time i've heard any of your music and i am most impressed. kites2 is absolutely stunning both melodically and rhythmically- the drum sounds are superb, they have presence but don't overpower the harmonic and melodic content- fair fucks if you did all this with fruityloops

I really enjoyed this track, some reason the first synths remind me of the early electronic music by folks like Schaffer etc.

The melody synth is very orbital in some ways.

I love the beat, simple yet effective.

Keep up the good work

:cool:

pretty chill, but dude you could have at least done something with the beat instead of the same to loops for gad sakes

how hard is it to fill in some dots on fruity loops to make a beat

Guest Mrs Jynx
pretty chill, but dude you could have at least done something with the beat instead of the same to loops for gad sakes

how hard is it to fill in some dots on fruity loops to make a beat

I try to concentrate my efforts on melodies and chords as opposed to drum lines. Not all electronic music is about beats imo, but thanks for listening. :wink:

Archived