IGNORED

Let's talk about Cichlisuite

Blir

• 3 weeks later...

I was torn whether to bump this thread or create a new one, but I dont have much to say except> cichlisuite is a solid gold ep, each of the 5 tracks have something different to offer.

Characi is probably my favorite of the bunch, the skittering sounds on top of the deep speed/slow beat is unbelievably tasty to my ears.  Then tilapia is so subtly funky, its hard not to bust into dance.

I have pt1 of the 12" and used to think this was the superior half (because both tracks are amazing there) but wish i could track down pt2.  Unfortunately the prices seem to have caught up with the age of these eps..

Also, from another thread, but anyone knnow where this can be found>??

there is a live version of Tilapia AE did that is absolutely amazing, its much longer and has more of a drum and bass edge to it.

where can this be found? could you upload it please if you have the time?

Fairly certain this at the beginning of the Live At Palladium Club 1998 recording...

I was torn whether to bump this thread or create a new one, but I dont have much to say except> cichlisuite is a solid gold ep, each of the 5 tracks have something different to offer.

Characi is probably my favorite of the bunch, the skittering sounds on top of the deep speed/slow beat is unbelievably tasty to my ears.  Then tilapia is so subtly funky, its hard not to bust into dance.

I have pt1 of the 12" and used to think this was the superior half (because both tracks are amazing there) but wish i could track down pt2.  Unfortunately the prices seem to have caught up with the age of these eps..

there is a live version of Tilapia AE did that is absolutely amazing, its much longer and has more of a drum and bass edge to it.

Fairly certain this at the beginning of the Live At Palladium Club 1998 recording...

Thar' she is, cheers.  Wow, Ive actually never heard this live set, in for a treat.

Low qual on the youtubes

Edited by Marked x 0ne

Thar' she is, cheers.  Wow, Ive actually never heard this live set, in for a treat.

Low qual on the youtubes

:beer:

https://archive.org/details/Autechre1998-08-09

... if you'd like to DL it.

Really great set, thanks for the link etc. The last 20m in particular get really good.

donquixote is it to be implied from the above that you attended and procured this recording?

Edited by Marked x 0ne

Really great set, thanks for the link etc. The last 20m in particular get really good.

donquixote is it to be implied from the above that you attended and procured this recording?

No was just talk about Chichili Suite sorry. I only pop my head the Chre forum, I'm a former Autechre-Autist. Knocked it on the head early 2000s. Glad too as all this live stuff looks like a life ruiner. Edited by donquixote

No was just talk about Chichili Suite sorry. I only pop my head the Chre forum, I'm a former Autechre-Autist. Knocked it on the head early 2000s. Glad too as all this love stuff looks like a life ruiner.

Definitely going if they tour this year tho. Bang up for it.

No was just talk about Chichili Suite sorry. I only pop my head the Chre forum, I'm a former Autechre-Autist. Knocked it on the head early 2000s. Glad too as all this live stuff looks like a life ruiner.
Definitely going if they tour this year tho. Bang up for it.
I see where the confusion has slipped in sorry. "no need to thank me for sharing" was me being a twat about myself making a banal forum comment. Sorry mate Edited by donquixote

• 1 month later...

Saw a Q&A with Steve "Snooker" Davis in Bristol on Saturday, where he discussed his love for synths.

He mentioned living in Sheffield in the early days of Warp, and would always walk past the shop to go to a 2nd hand Northern Soul shop down the road. He talked about Autechre being his gateway into IDM / electronica, citing Chiastic Slide and Cichli Suite as his favourites.

He also talked about sort of knowing Rob (who now lives in Bristol) - Steve said his girlfriend also lives in Bristol. 

Very entertaining talk anyhow, plenty of other titbits including how he mainly doesn't know what he's doing with his synths (his live set later in the day was mainly improv lol)

Basically he's rich and its a hobby and he gets bookings because he is famous...!  Good of him to be honest.

For his DJ sets he always like to throw in a Surgeon or Autechre track - he is a big fan of Surgeon too.

Edit...

Boiler Room set with Kavus Torabi, who was also live on Saturday doing the modular stuff with Steve. Appears to include some Cylob.

Edited by fletcher
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, usagi said:

anti-semitic tune

Only for eugene. We go way back...

On 8/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, usagi said:

needs sensitivity training.

I had a rough week. A deadly combination for me.

You're kind of a sewing club patron arent  you, usagi ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Five days ago, Chiastic Slide turned 25, Envane did so in the end of January. And in five more days from today, Cichlisuite will have its half birthday (i.e. six months from then, it will turn 25). Giving this one a spin right now and I gotta say, this EP is to this day fucking excellent. The only thing which "holds it back", which I don't think is necessarily a fair criticism, is that some of the synth patches show their age. Otherwise, structurally it still works a charm. The melodies, the rhythms, the drum machine hits are all wonderful. Autechre at their most techno, just about.

• Like 7

Although I enjoy it from start to finish, I wish it all banged as hard as the opening few phrases of Yeesland

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cern said:

How did they make that metal bouncy ball stuff in Kribi? 

Sounds really like they used real metal objects to bounce it and sample it. 

they talked about in the AAA but wouldn't give direct  answers. I made a very similar sound once using the Analogue Systems Comb Filter in the modular. it does that exact thing if you fiddle w/it and get proper modulation/input source. i don't know if they had the AS system at that time but they did get a full system at some point. they've talked about it some in interviews "We have a British modular"

https://www.bigcitymusic.com/collections/analogue-systems/products/rs120-comb-filter?variant=4870653251

• Like 1

• 5 months later...