IGNORED

I Forgot About Billious Paths

Guest we_kill_soapscum

take them panties off

put them panties on

i had a crazy idea to play that loop to some girl on my bus ride a few years ago. i'd see her everyday on the bus. good thing i didn't but i ... can imagine, the lols and then the slap across the face.

i lovemike's work but this cd leaves me a bit cold

can't really love it

its ok but not demanding of my attention because of the nails on the blackboard harshness?

• 2 months later...
Guest tekkeN

wasn't so keen at first but really like Bilous Paths, great album

but for his output with a sort-of similar sound think Hard Love has to be his best

Guest tekkeN

there are some moments of beauty in Bilious Paths as well, Fall of Antioch, and some tracks which start off a bit flat develop into something very interesting to the ears

• 2 months later...

there are some moments of beauty in Bilious Paths as well, Fall of Antioch, and some tracks which start off a bit flat develop into something very interesting to the ears

yep, these are my thoughts too. just listened again for the first time in uh, 7 years i think? great album and the only breakcore-related stuff i can listen to without cringing..

• 6 months later...

bilious paths was a direct attempt at copying snares and failing

Actually he credits Aaron in the insert on the album. Also I'm pretty sure Midwinter Log on lunatic harness predates most of funks releases making Mike the first person to use that style.. I don't know..

Actually he credits Aaron in the insert on the album. Also I'm pretty sure Midwinter Log on lunatic harness predates most of funks releases making Mike the first person to use that style.. I don't know..

At least, predates Funks work that actually made it to release.

• 4 weeks later...

not really interesting enough for its own topic but I thought I'd mention how Mike/Aaron must trade samples back and forth because definitely - *bleep-bleep-bleep* sound on Grape Nut Beats 2 + Aanguish from Meathole, and speculation - Meinheld has the choir sample from/direct rip of? Suffocate from WITBOAS

also various jamaican people vocals

Edited by Ragnar

Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks was released 3 years before Bilious Paths.

Snares was releasing at least as early as '99 cause that's when his split with Stunt Rock came out.

not really interesting enough for its own topic but I thought I'd mention how Mike/Aaron must trade samples back and forth because definitely - *bleep-bleep-bleep* sound on Grape Nut Beats 2 + Aanguish from Meathole, and speculation - Meinheld has the choir sample from/direct rip of? Suffocate from WITBOAS

they definitely share samples, and they also shared with Keith Fullerton Whitman, because I remember getting Grape Nut Beats Pt.1 from KFW's hotline server and being surprised cause it was a remix of Witch Hunt.

Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks was released 3 years before Bilious Paths.

Snares was releasing at least as early as '99 cause that's when his split with Stunt Rock came out.

they definitely share samples, and they also shared with Keith Fullerton Whitman, because I remember getting Grape Nut Beats Pt.1 from KFW's hotline server and being surprised cause it was a remix of Witch Hunt.

Yes. =)

• 1 month later...

I love this album, it's amazing. It's not quite like anything else I've heard before. I think it's his best album. It's the sound of pineapples mixed with Twisted Metal.

The sound design is just hard to describe. It has boundless energy, it's itchy, tetchy. All his music is kind of straight forward and soft (but lush), whereas this is a genuine deviation into more weird antagonistic territory. I think it'll remain fresh for me years from now. I think it's a minor masterpiece of sorts, and definitely underrated. It's better than most Venetian Snares albums.

• Like 1

I love this album, it's amazing. It's not quite like anything else I've heard before. I think it's his best album. It's the sound of pineapples mixed with Twisted Metal.

The sound design is just hard to describe. It has boundless energy, it's itchy, tetchy. All his music is kind of straight forward and soft (but lush), whereas this is a genuine deviation into more weird antagonistic territory. I think it'll remain fresh for me years from now. I think it's a minor masterpiece of sorts, and definitely underrated. It's better than most Venetian Snares albums.

interestingly enough it says on the insert that a special thanks goes to aaron funk for all his help with the album.

• 5 years later...

siege of antioch is one of my fav tracks ever... tru dustbin-core

edit:

recently re-listened to bilious paths, I rarely see these two tracks mentioned, love 'em! thanks mike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWJTA4Wr2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lp4YTkir78

Edited by MIXL2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Went looking for the most appropriate topic to bump to express my love for AEC MERLIN

The hyper-detailed programming, those lush processed hi-hats underneath the glitchy beat, the woozy detuned BOCish synths (bit of an Iced Cooly vibe for me), the off kilter beat, angular bassline and strange harmonies... Everything is so delicate but so lively, and just abrasive enough to give it a bit of an edge.  Just an incredibly masterful track.  This whole album feels almost obsessively meticulous, like you can really hear the effort that went into it (typical of IDM at the time and is something I really valued in music back then as well), it's amazing that he said at the time that it would be his last - It does seem like it was his last in this particular style tho.  Anyway, today is a day to celebrate AEC Merlin, bright and sunny fall day, will be going out for a walk down a Bilious Path somewhere :mu-ziq:

Edited by toaoaoad

hes apparently going back to breaks on magic pony ride...

i hope that certain featured artists realize that digital is and always was the way to go to melt phaces using musix (ceephax not included ofc)

also does any1 know the story behind this vid? very pretty and one of my favs from the album

(fav being seige of antioch)

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think there's some good songs on here but often it does feel like a challenge of trying out about 50 effects on drum samples. It sounds restless and wanting to create something sonically exciting without much 'song craft' in there, which I think is something he has returned to in a big way in recent releases and which I am so happy about. New album with Mrs. Jynx is a great example of that. 

• 1 year later...

Siege Of Antioch is an absolutely perfect track and I just wanna know how he made it (edit: the percussion in particular, I dont know where to start to make it sound so.. alien?)

Edited by YangYing