IGNORED

Boss Dr. Groove DR202

Guest sero_13

Guest sero_13

Ok, so i won £50 by cheating in the pub quiz and i fancy putting it towards buying myself a DR202.

Ive been looking at getting a groovebox for a while and after reading reviews of it i think this one looks quite good. Im under no pretenses that it'll sound good or whatever, i just want something to mess about on really. I like the look of the DR202, cos it has bassline as well as just a drum machine. I've looked at MC-303s but they seem too expensive for what they are, and i reckon i could get an older electribe for around the price they go for.

So, has anyone had any experience with it? I reckon i could pick one up cheap somewhere but how much do you think I should stretch to? Are there any other grooveboxes that would be better or more value for money? I am but a poor student and i cant afford to wank away money on expensive gear.

So fact me WATMM! Fact me in my coggin box!

Guest sero_13

How much did you sell it for, if you don't mind me asking? and how long ago was it? Im kinda interested in the current market price of it.

Could someone sell me on the electribe ea-1 mkI? Ive heard lots of good and bad things about it.

Chers for your help forlon

i owned one... they are reallyinteresting because the effects are not made for you in presets... kinda like a 505...it comes with 909, 808, techno, rock, drum n' bass, and industrial kits .... it has a groove knob so you can play with those saky taky jazz hats...

i used a fourtrack recorder with mine because one layer was never enough... also it makes wicked wierd noise scapes. (sounds slightly digital, but its still cool)

if you have nothing to lose have fun with it.

ps ... korg em1 was the machine i got after that

i had one for a long time, before I moved to software.

its not that great... i sold mine for $150 I think, but I cant really remember.

Id go for the electribe. I havnt used one much, but it seems better.

i borrowed my mates mc-909 and i thought it was as peice of shit. it sounds sooo horrible!!

note the mc-303 is what tom jenkinson used a few times and made some awesome tracks with!

but i personalyl hate all the mc's apart from the

202 and 404 but there comepltely diffrent thigns

Guest sero_13
note the mc-303 is what tom jenkinson used a few times and made some awesome tracks with!

Cool! B) Which songs did he use it on?

I think im going to decide on the DR Groove, but i don't know how much to pay for it. There are a couple on ebay but there are quite a few bidders on them.

I don't wanna get into a bidding war and pay like £80 for something thats only worth, say, £50. Tight i know but ive gotta eat as well! What should my limit be?

i borrowed my mates mc-909 and i thought it was as peice of shit. it sounds sooo horrible!!

i think you're confused with the tb-303

i HIGHLY highly doubt tom would use an mc-303

Guest sero_13
"Squarepusher sequenced his pre-2000 work on a Boss DR-660 drum machine, which

wasn't designed to sequence entire songs."

That's what wikipedia says. Maybe you should get that then ;)

Cool! Does that mean i'll get to play bass really fast?

i think you're confused with the tb-303

i HIGHLY highly doubt tom would use an mc-303

andy jenkinson told me that.

Guest sero_13

Ah well, too late.

I only paid £56 on ebay which is £6 over what i won in the quiz. And i cheated to win that, so maybe this is what karma feels like.

Im looking forward to getting it and i've even found a program to hack it, so i can 'roll' the bass sound and pitch up and down the drum sounds.

I've heard the presets are shit but if you make your own patches you can get some good sounds but i won't know until it arrives. Either way it'll be good to take on train journeys back home.

Thank you to everyone who gave their insight. Its pretty daunting buying stuff you have no idea about and you helped me loads! I shall pour some beer on a curb for you all or something.

Guest sero_13

Just for some thread closure, it arrived today.

Quite pleased with it so far, but ive got too much work to really get stuck in so if it is shit, i haven't spent loads.

I'm looking forward to really giving it a go and it'll be an education. So again, thank you EKT!

Guest sero_13

I will eventually, but you wouldn't believe the amount of work i've got on at the moment.

Could be a few weeks before i truly get to grips with it but from the short little go i had with it im pretty pleased. I rekon if i hooked it up to some guitar pedals and whatnot it could be a pretty interesting little machine.

But first, Arms Control essay, then Consuming Cultures essay, and then presentation that contributes to 35% of the module. As if i thought Uni was gonna be easy! :lol:

Guest sero_13
freddy fresh's nicest beat

ok. i made this short clip so you can see what im up to.

I liked it! I've been listening to mM FooD by MF Doom a fair bit recently and I thought your track had the same kind of old skool vibe to it!

And the sp505 looks mighty nice!

thanks dudes.

the 505 is not mine, but i have to say its a nice piece.

check out this other tracks (which were done on a computer) if you liked that one.

cheers

Archived