IGNORED

Coil - Dark River (Autechre Mix)

Guest Mutual Lines

Ambulance is a fantastic cd. Absolutely stunning.

Ambulance, Live Four, and Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 totally floored me when I first heard them. I'm never in the mood for their music anymore, but coil remains one of my most respected bands

Guest Greg Reason

Now this is interesting, found this in an interview with Coil by Brainwashed which was conducted in 1997...

Jon Whitney: Do you ever go back over old recordings wishing you had done something differently?

Jhonn Balance: (Holding up the new Unnatural History compilation) The Panic 12" here, we were using video recording techniques and we had never done it before and the guy working in the studio certainly had never done it before. We were editing sound digitally with videos and we had never done it before, but it's okay because we did it then. We would like to give Autechre the tapes and see what they could come up with for a new version. You just move on.

I've listened to LSD but that's about it. I enjoy it but it sounds pretty dated now. If I like Oversteps what album should I listen to next?

knowing your musical tastes a little bit i have a feeling you might like earlier Coil better from the same era and a little after LSD.

check out - Stolen and Contaminated Songs, Black Light District, Unnatural History 1, 2, 3, , Coil VS Elph- Worship the Glitch , Time Machines if you want some shit that is REAL proto IDm, focused on sound design very playful creative electronic music mostly without vocals. Worship the Glitch in particular is one of the best ambient albums ever made. It also predates a lot of other glitch based music like on Mego. Coil claims they did a lot of psychedelics and took spiritual meaning from the seemingly alive entities causing their equipment to glitch out and make beautiful sounds.

check out - the remote viewer, moon's milk, astral disaster and black antlers if you want paganism death-folk influenced Current 93/Death in june style coil with a lot of vocals that are personally very hard for me to take

But with a band that's so eccentric, you're gonna have a few duds in their career. Moon's Milk just isn't that great, although the 2cd package looks lush.

there are quite frankly, a lot of duds in Coil's career. http://www.discogs.com/Coil-The-Angelic-Conversation/master/21410 <-- this album for instance is practically unlistenable and almost got me to completely stay away from them. Luckily i kept trying and found out that it was indeed a dud

I've listened to LSD but that's about it. I enjoy it but it sounds pretty dated now. If I like Oversteps what album should I listen to next?

knowing your musical tastes a little bit i have a feeling you might like earlier Coil better from the same era and a little after LSD.

check out - Stolen and Contaminated Songs, Black Light District, Unnatural History 1, 2, 3, , Coil VS Elph- Worship the Glitch , Time Machines if you want some shit that is REAL proto IDm, focused on sound design very playful creative electronic music mostly without vocals. Worship the Glitch in particular is one of the best ambient albums ever made. It also predates a lot of other glitch based music like on Mego. Coil claims they did a lot of psychedelics and took spiritual meaning from the seemingly alive entities causing their equipment to glitch out and make beautiful sounds.

check out - the remote viewer, moon's milk, astral disaster and black antlers if you want paganism death-folk influenced Current 93/Death in june style coil with a lot of vocals that are personally very hard for me to take

Thanks man! Yeah by your description the earlier stuff sound more up my alley.

i seriously believe COil was doing idm in the sense of making instrumental electronic music with a lot of weird sounds before almost anyone else. Aphex twin and AE owe a lot to their earlier works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPRrcaW_jw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yLdN-uiWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfXfOXX498

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHH-ex99Xys&feature=related

the song 'Futher' by coil off Stolen and Contaminated is probably my favorite song of their's

you can hear part of it here - http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Contaminated-Songs-reissue-version/dp/B000003RPL

their production chops in that whole era was years ahead of most of idm.. i remember hearing the glitchier tracks on LSD and just being blown away. and that came out in what, 91?

but i guess a lot of the industrial+related scene was pioneering ideas that would be reworked in IDM 5,10,15 years later (look at early-mid 80's skinny puppy for example)

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah Sleaze and Danny Hyde were well into warping the fuck out of things. They were pretty secretive about it at the time, they called it Sidereal Sound and would only talk very vaguely about it. What they were doing on those records is essentially a key ingredient in "IDM" and related musics nowadays. They would just process everything. Naturally they had to do it differently (the hard way) back then, so they'd have to sample things to Fairlights or Ensoniqs and use the editing functions on them and then bring them back into the track via MIDI but it's essentially the same shit we all do with plug-ins now.

Guest Greg Reason

Damn right. Interesting to hear how they brought in a lot of elements from that into their remix of Nine Inch Nails 'The Downward Spiral'.

their production chops in that whole era was years ahead of most of idm.. i remember hearing the glitchier tracks on LSD and just being blown away. and that came out in what, 91?

but i guess a lot of the industrial+related scene was pioneering ideas that would be reworked in IDM 5,10,15 years later (look at early-mid 80's skinny puppy for example)

don't forget Severed Heads :emotawesomepm9:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greg Reason

Just downloaded the full recording of Gescom live at the Autechre curated All Tomorrow's Parties from BBC (John Peel announces it as an Autechre set but it was billed as Gescom). Fuckin wicked set indeed. Love the slowed down Public Enemy :)

I deleted the purported "Autechre remix" of Dark River ages ago but from memory I think this was the thing. Not really a remix but yeah... Fits beautifully in the set

• 9 years later...

I just found this: https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Teenage-Lightning-Surgeon-Remix/release/4089523

"To accompany the 2001 re-releases of their first 3 albums, Coil decided to also release a vinyl box set edition which would include a 12" of remixes by Autechre and Surgeon. The remixes were completed and approved by Coil, but the project stayed on the shelf. Sadly since then both John Balance and Peter Christopherson have both died and it's with the greatest respect to their memories that I make this remix publicly available."

Anyone know what the track was that Ae remixed, and if it has ever seen the light of day?

4 hours ago, hayhook said:

I just found this: https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Teenage-Lightning-Surgeon-Remix/release/4089523

"To accompany the 2001 re-releases of their first 3 albums, Coil decided to also release a vinyl box set edition which would include a 12" of remixes by Autechre and Surgeon. The remixes were completed and approved by Coil, but the project stayed on the shelf. Sadly since then both John Balance and Peter Christopherson have both died and it's with the greatest respect to their memories that I make this remix publicly available."

Anyone know what the track was that Ae remixed, and if it has ever seen the light of day?

It seems there's no other track than Panic remix and it wasn't released other than played inside DJ mixes of Rob Hall and ae themselves a couple of times.

Archived