IGNORED

Macquarie Ridge

Guest Dogboy73

Are you sure? I usually don't agree with these sorts of comparisons, but in this case it sounds very close to me.

what difference does it really make?

and for those of you who are "disappointed" by the similarities that you perceive between mac ridge and the basinski track, keep in mind that this was released as a bonus track on a japanese release, it's not like it was the centerpiece of the album or anything.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BOC didn't sample Basinski for that track at all. Also, 'Roygbiv' was written from scratch, as is nearly everything else BOC have released. The only samples used in Boards' tracks are typically speech/vocal samples. (The exceptions are 'Aquarius' and 'Nlogax', where the former was actually a re-creation on the groove from 'Hair'.)

thanks for the info.

and since you're in a question-answering mood, what the hell was all this about then?

rm_eyes.png

Guest lands end road

I'm pretty that most of the Willam Basinski pieces on the Disintegration Loops series are samples from other pieces of work that were pitched down and record to tape. Could it be that DP6 and that sample in MR were taken from the same source?

BOC didn't sample Basinski for that track at all. Also, 'Roygbiv' was written from scratch, as is nearly everything else BOC have released. The only samples used in Boards' tracks are typically speech/vocal samples. (The exceptions are 'Aquarius' and 'Nlogax', where the former was actually a re-creation on the groove from 'Hair'.)

thanks for the info.

and since you're in a question-answering mood, what the hell was all this about then?

rm_eyes.png

If you don't understand it, then it doesn't concern you.

Guest philia
I'm pretty that most of the Willam Basinski pieces on the Disintegration Loops series are samples from other pieces of work that were pitched down and record to tape. Could it be that DP6 and that sample in MR were taken from the same source?

basinski originally composed those loops in the late 70s/early 80s.

Guest lands end road

Posted on the BOC official site. People thought it was some secret code that gave the whereabouts to a "Red Moon" event. Tons of people tried to solve it and even teamed up. Finally a few people thought they figured out the location and at the last moment, a few (can't remember how many) members from the Twoism board (amongst other people) bought plane tickets and met up with random people in Scotland to go to the show. I guess they didn't properly solve the code because they didn't find the show. Still crazy that people would fly all the way from America in hopes of seeing a BOC show. Sucks that they didn't end up finding it. There were photos posted somewhere on flickr, but I can't find the link.

Here are some links on the code and the people who attended

http://redmoon.stikipad.com/redmooncode/sh...+Moon+Attendees

http://redmoon.stikipad.com/redmooncode/

Guest WWBJD
Posted on the BOC official site.

Blah blah blah.

What's the official BOC site. You mean www.boardsofcanada.com? Or some other page.

If you don't understand it, then it doesn't concern you.

dude, it was broadcast on the internet.

Just because it was on their site, does not mean it was meant for you (or anyone else not familiar with the meaning behind it).

yeah fine, but if you want to send a personal message to a select group of people, posting it on a publicly available and widely viewed web page is probably not your most discrete option.

it may be true that we are not meant to understand it. but i think we were definitely meant to see it. they would not have used the chosen medium to deliver the "message" if they didn't want us to see it. assuming they wanted us to see the cryptic message, isn't it only natural for us to wonder what it means?

i think it's really no different than trying to figure out what an obscure sample or track title means.

Guest lands end road
Posted on the BOC official site.

Blah blah blah.

What's the official BOC site. You mean www.boardsofcanada.com? Or some other page.

Yeah, I meant boardsofcanada.com.

Blah blah blah? He asked what the picture was and I explained it.

Hmm those links I posted arent working anymore. I even tested them right before I posted them.

Guest Dogboy73
the thing that shocked me was the beautiful little loop at the start of the butthole surfers record 'locust abortion technician'

allmusic .com - locust abortion technician

click on the sample for the first track - "sweet loaf"... it won't load for me now, but i'm pretty sure the clip has the part i'm talking about in it.

heard from telegraph lines!

:omg: Blimey! You've discovered the origins of another BoC track ther for sure I'd bet. It's just to similar to be a coincidence.

I dunno, for some reason that one doesn't bother me as much, doesn't sound as close to me. It sounds very much like the intro to Orbital's Satan tho.

it IS the intro to orbital's satan

I dunno, for some reason that one doesn't bother me as much, doesn't sound as close to me. It sounds very much like the intro to Orbital's Satan tho.

That's because...

...it IS the intro to orbital's satan

LOL! It does sound similar to Heard From The Telegraph Lines, it might be a nod or tribute...

Guest Archrival

lol it has nothing to do with heard from telegraph...come on...its like Metallica wanting to get a patent on some chord..

My main problems in this case are:

1) Disintegration loops are a current work in the same overall genre as BoC. It's not like they took something old and cheesy from a different genre and transformed it.

True. But they've only taken something simple & built on it. But as I said before I think it plays out like homage to Basinski rather than ripping him off.

u kinda missed the point. i never said boc sampled WB, just stole his style for a few minites

My main problems in this case are:

1) Disintegration loops are a current work in the same overall genre as BoC. It's not like they took something old and cheesy from a different genre and transformed it.

True. But they've only taken something simple & built on it. But as I said before I think it plays out like homage to Basinski rather than ripping him off.

u kinda missed the point. i never said boc sampled WB, just stole his style for a few minites

here, you can steal my "minutes", because your is fucking spelt WRONG.

Guest thechintzyschpincter

LOL "because your is fucking spelt wrong"

Thats some great grammar you dumb ass stabber.

Archived