IGNORED

PSPSeq

Guest Adjective

Guest Adjective

PSPSeq200-small.jpg

PSPSeq is a free homebrew application for composing music on the Sony PSP handheld game system. PSPSeq contains both realtime synthesis and sample playback capability, along with multiple FX modules of widely varying types for modifying instruments in countless ways. PSPSeq also has a powerful and unique step sequencer for triggering samples and arranging loops into full songs.

Key features of PSPSeq:

- up to 16 independent audio tracks per song

- a wide variety of synthesizers from traditional virtual analog and FM to Karplus-Strong

and unique digital oscillators with parameter controls rarely seen in commercial synths

- WAV file playback with looping, pitch shift, and configurable start/end points

- many FX algorithms from digital filters and waveshapers to bitmasks and decimation

- all synthesizer parameters can be set to unique values on a per-step basis

- step sequencer with configurable step length, swing, highly accurate BPM, and tap tempo

- probabilistic sequencing: the decision to retrigger to be based on a 0-100% probability

rather than a boolean yes/no operation

- song sequencing with 100 different loops per song, 1000 measures per song, and loop

repeat capability

- record loops and songs to WAV

i loaded this on my friend's homebrew enabled* PSP over the weekend, it's pretty slick, i ended up hiding away at a party until i killed my friend's battery.

as you enter the notes you can press down on the analog stick which reduces the probabilty that the note will trigger, from a definite 100% down to 0, a 0 being the same as deleting a note. pressing down one of the other keys selects a group of options, like press [triangle] and track volume and pan are selected, using the D-pad left or right adjusts pan, up and down adjusts volume. that sort of thing, i'm citing that example from memory so it may be not be the right button combo.

you can use wavs of course, but also there are built in synths, which i think gives this its own unique sound.

i'll be putting custom firmware on my PSP soon to enable homebrew specifically for this app and another called "Kick" which is another easy to use, fairly addictive sequencer. though i think PSPSeq has won me over. there is a short track i made, which i'd like to give as an example but it's on my friend's PSP so i'll have to get him to render it for me. however there are some mp3 examples of possibilities on the PSPSeq homepage, so check it out.

*homebrew enabled PSPs run a custom firmware allowing them to run unsigned code. for a while it was only possible to get this custom firmware onto 3.03 and lower versions, BUT saturday a group called "Noobz" delivered an exploit (using Lumines) that allows unsigned code to be run on all firmware versions up to 3.5. this was only a proof of concept "Hello World" app, but it's expected that it will lead to a homebrew enabler, for versions up to 3.5, being available in the next few days.

Guest Promo

Its gotta beat hunking a laptop around. I personally think in the future it'd be far nicer to use a handheld device for gigs than a laptop. Taking a laptop to gigs is a right fuckin' fag and not only that one has to worry about it getting knicked all the time.

Guest Adjective

here's a little loop i made with PSPSeq

http://sopor.us/adjective/audio/PSPSeq-Adj.MP3

mostly a demo of the probability input, most of the notes hit between 20% - 80%

can give a loop a more loose feel

also shows the internal synths, i haven't quite mastered envelopes so the bass has some clickyness

i'm still learning to use it, but it's a more productive way to kill time on a gaming device.

makes me feel less guilty

will check out psp rhythm as well

Guest Adjective

i'm still learning it

some little things it took me a while to pick up on

like when changing the note of an entry, hold L-trigger and the d-pad up/down to move in increments of one (instead of the analog stick, which is crazy sensitive)

and when editing a synth, after already having entered notes, usually you're only editing it for the note you're on, which can be frustrating. so, when you edit the synth, hold down [triangle] + L-trigger + R-trigger + d-pad up or down. this will apply whatever change you're making to all notes in the track. (i really think that should be default, and the individual edits should need the special key combo... maybe i'll feature request that)

i try to keep that quick reference pdf open while i'm messing with it

i'm still learning it

some little things it took me a while to pick up on

like when changing the note of an entry, hold L-trigger and the d-pad up/down to move in increments of one (instead of the analog stick, which is crazy sensitive)

and when editing a synth, after already having entered notes, usually you're only editing it for the note you're on, which can be frustrating. so, when you edit the synth, hold down [triangle] + L-trigger + R-trigger + d-pad up or down. this will apply whatever change you're making to all notes in the track. (i really think that should be default, and the individual edits should need the special key combo... maybe i'll feature request that)

i try to keep that quick reference pdf open while i'm messing with it

yeah i really really need to reinstall adobe acrobat haha this is gettin kinda weird... i figured out the first thing you mentioned from the readme.txt but the other stuff? nope

Archived