IGNORED

Funny Autechre Stories

Root5

I ALWAYS blare it with the windows down if its warm enough to do so. Its much better when you are giving a friend and FoF a lift and that FoF has never heard of AE and has never met you before, but regardless you put on the most difficult AE track (gantz graf or bine or something) and just blare it incredibly loudly.

Most people dont like it lol

even when i was 16 i immediately felt embarrassed when i had monetary lapses of wanting to inflict my superior musical taste on the unsuspecting masses.

I know what you mean. Yet it's seductive to confront other people with it. I am avoiding the emberassment-aspect by doing it subtly :wink2: and I never do it in order to shock them or anything... but in some cases, I know they are probably not going to like what I have to show them cause they listen to different stuff, but once you've managed to get them into an atmosphere of impartiality and being more open minded, not trying to cathegorize everything for once, I know they could get into it. So I guess I only show it to people who I think have potential to like it. I've mentioned this before - most people open up to new stuff only when they're in the right environment. They don't know how much they're influenced by external factors. E.g. the techno track from Blade. In 2002-2006, there was a huge hate for electronic music around the clubs in Germany, only hip hop and RnB was tolerated, BUT apparently, the track from Blade was considered really good by everyone and many people who would have hated it normally had it on their mp3 players, cause "the film's good". So I sometimes try to create a similar atmosphere cause I know otherwise it would be a waste of time to even bother... yeah, I could just leave it, but, like I said, it's seductive, and I think the way I try to do it isn't too annoying and if anything opens up new possibilities for others... I'm still a pretentious prick though. :wink2:

My best buddy was not really into electronic music. I had tried to show him autechre a few times but he never really got into it.

One day we drove to a parking lot and smoked a huuuge spliff while Gelk was playing.

Once the drop happens in that track he was like "OH MAN that is fucking AWESOME!" at which point i began to explain to him how the autechre tracks often evolve like that, or switch up completely part of the way through.

He has been a semi-fan ever since.

Moral of the story: Smoke someone on a spliff and blast the tunes (Good bass is key here) and they will enjoy it, even if its just for the time they are stoned, but they will subsequently be more open minded

I was going to mention that (even though I've never purposely done this), but then they got the excuse "... and I said I liked that? Maaan I musta been stoned..." etc, while they wouldn't dare to change their opinion on a track they got to like through other external factors, cause that would mean admitting to being influenceable and biased, and they don't want to be that... I guess I prefer fooling myself into thinking someone actually has the same taste as me after subtly directing them over someone just getting off on something while being drunk or high or whatever, when I know the music they're getting all euphoric about might as well have been britney... :undecided: but I agree, I guess there's a certain level of being more open to new things, since drugs might also bring them to forget about some stupid prejeduces and listen to things more purely... but then, if they've trained themselves to be mindless pop-a-holics, their subconscious would prevent it even under the influence of whatever... but whä, more autechre stories, less speculations! :excl:

me, rob and sean and some other guy were hanging out

and sean asked "how bout we play some poker?"

and rob replied "poker? i barely know'er!"

we all lolled, and lolled even more because the some other guy said he didn't get it

but yeah you had to be there

even when i was 16 i immediately felt embarrassed when i had monetary lapses of wanting to inflict my superior musical taste on the unsuspecting masses.

my reasoning behind blaring the music of my choice (which is obviously electronic music) is that i don't have the opportunity to listen to it loud anywhere else. with everything that is going on in an ae track, it deserves to be listened to loud on a booming system. i don't listen to electronic music at work because of low quality computer speakers. i'm subjected to salsa, reggaeton, and dirty south rap where i live... if the people beside me stopped at a red light doesn't like it, they can roll up their window (which happens most of the time)!

Guest Scrambled Ears
the trees

pulled into a subway restaurant with this track playing full blast... parked the car... a kid that was skateboarding in the parking lot walks up to me "dude! that's autechre!"

I dream about situations like this......reminds me of a time when 3 of us were bugged out on acid in a park and encountered a group of people who started chatting to us. We tried to remain focused as you do, just hoping that they would go away....turns out they were trippin too!!! Boy did we laugh... :teeth:

man that rules, i love when youre surprised by finding friendly people while on drugs. one time in central park on ecstasy we encountered a bunch of dungeons and dragons people role playing and fighting with kendo sticks. we commenced battle.

oh and another time while on mushrooms this kid came up to the rock we were sitting on and scaled it like an expert climber...his dad later came by and told us his name was rock (he was bulgarian or something) and it blew our minds

Guest 0123456x89

somewhat unrelated but a giant alien force by v. snares made my girl who was hungover throw up.

awesome.

just pulled into work about a half hour ago blasting a gescom mix... a lady just now came into my office, looked at me and said "i knew you were the type that listens to music like that!"

she was in the parking lot when i pulled up, but i didn't see her!

• 2 months later...

at work today, i was eating my lunch in the break room with my headphones on listening to drane. i had the track up pretty loud and apparently, the lady sitting next to me was only to hear those clicky sounds. she gets my attention by just looking at me... then she says:

"BOY! WHAT'S DA MATTA WITCHU? LISTENIN' TO ALL DEM CLACKS!"

then she looks at her friend and says:

"HE OVER HERE LISTENIN' TO CLACKS N' SHIT!" her friend says "UM HMM!"

and they both look over at me in disappointment nodding their heads!

i just shrugged my shoulders at them and commenced eating!

Guest mafted
just pulled into work about a half hour ago blasting a gescom mix... a lady just now came into my office, looked at me and said "i knew you were the type that listens to music like that!"

I'd be interested to hear what 'that' music is. I mean, is she branding you 'one of those 'experimental electronic' hoodlums' she's been reading about? lol.

Guest mafted
at work today, i was eating my lunch in the break room with my headphones on listening to drane. i had the track up pretty loud and apparently, the lady sitting next to me was only to hear those clicky sounds. she gets my attention by just looking at me... then she says:

"BOY! WHAT'S DA MATTA WITCHU? LISTENIN' TO ALL DEM CLACKS!"

then she looks at her friend and says:

"HE OVER HERE LISTENIN' TO CLACKS N' SHIT!" her friend says "UM HMM!"

and they both look over at me in disappointment nodding their heads!

i just shrugged my shoulders at them and commenced eating!

ROFL

Clacks n' shit!! We have a winner! that is funny

Edited by mafted

Untilted Tour - Cologne, Germany. 2 Hours before the gig.

i was there with a friend. we bought some beer at a near gas station, sean and rob were also there buying stuff. we paid first and went out, whispered stuff like "did you see what they were buying?", "omg, they smell funny" etc. back at the venue (don´t know if that´s the correct english word - you know what i mean) my friend took a picture of the tourbus. we didn´t notice that s+r were directly behind us. suddenly they started laughing and shouting "OMG! a tourbus! yeah, let´s take some pictures! how exiting!". we blushed but i answered "hey you guys shut up and don´t make fun of us, don´t forget fanboys like us pay your bills". we all had a laugh and that was it.

Untilted Tour - Cologne, Germany. 2 Hours before the gig.

i was there with a friend. we bought some beer at a near gas station, sean and rob were also there buying stuff. we paid first and went out, whispered stuff like "did you see what they were buying?", "omg, they smell funny" etc. back at the venue (don´t know if that´s the correct english word - you know what i mean) my friend took a picture of the tourbus. we didn´t notice that s+r were directly behind us. suddenly they started laughing and shouting "OMG! a tourbus! yeah, let´s take some pictures! how exiting!". we blushed but i answered "hey you guys shut up and don´t make fun of us, don´t forget fanboys like us pay your bills". we all had a laugh and that was it.

Thats a fuckin awesome story

I'd be interested to hear what 'that' music is. I mean, is she branding you 'one of those 'experimental electronic' hoodlums' she's been reading about? lol.

the lady listens to stuff like justice and daft punk... she knows about idm, but doesn't like it!

Guest phaelam

these three aussie chicks, way out of towners, came to stay with my girl and i our our apartment in vancouver...Ae playing on the deck.

my girl and i are doing the dishes, when one of the aussies walks into the kitchen and says "i think your cd is scratched. it keeps skipping" :|

Guest shibboleth

yall see that scene with the matrix nerd in "grandmas boy" when he listen to windowlicker

thats what yall be looking like tryin to roll out in public with the techre

wait... how old are you guys?

combined