IGNORED

Confield

YEK

saw it at the local record store, 19.99 can. most rekkids go for around 30.00\guess not alot of fans of this album, not popular enough

this is a confield thread

never really got into it, some bangers. fun to listen to if you want to get into a hectic state of mind just for the hell of it

I like it, I like every track but some more than others. I love how each one is soooo distictively different from each other (unlike Draft 7.30 in which every song sounded like crap). Very atmospheric, each track makes me picture a slow journey through some kind of bizarre landscape (which I've typed out in great detail a few times before but can't be bothered now... if I can find a copy on my hard drive I'll post it but no one cares anyway).

Some really beautiful and emotional bits too like Pen Expers and Lentic Catachresis.

It defenitely takes alot of getting used to, but if you didn't like it at all the first time I don't think you'd ever like it much at all. Mind you I rarely listen to it, but if I'm in just the right mood I think it's brilliant.

That isn't the sign of a good album though, so I still prefer Chiastic Slide and LP5, which are far more listenable.

I like it, I like every track but some more than others. I love how each one is soooo distictively different from each other (unlike Draft 7.30 in which every song sounded like crap). Very atmospheric, each track makes me picture a slow journey through some kind of bizarre landscape (which I've typed out in great detail a few times before but can't be bothered now... if I can find a copy on my hard drive I'll post it but no one cares anyway).

Some really beautiful and emotional bits too like Pen Expers and Lentic Catachresis.

It defenitely takes alot of getting used to, but if you didn't like it at all the first time I don't think you'd ever like it much at all. Mind you I rarely listen to it, but if I'm in just the right mood I think it's brilliant.

That isn't the sign of a good album though, so I still prefer Chiastic Slide and LP5, which are far more listenable.

I didn't like it at all the first time I heard it, but have grown to like it. Favorite tracks are VI Scose Poise, Parhelic Triangle, and Uviol, which all have amazing textures. I like this one a lot more than Draft and think it is one of Autechre's least accessible but most rewarding albums. But yes, I have to be in a certain mood for it and listen to Chiastic and LP5 much more than this album. But in the right mindset, there is nothing else out there like Confield. I still hate Bine though!

Really didn't like it when I first heard it but then had on random play and lentic catachresis came on when I was in a *can't think of the word* mood and its really grown on me. Fuckkkk son that tune is abusive but in like a totally different way from say Ventolin abusive kind of 8 minutes of venetian snares abusive but without such freneticness.

I dunno.. definetly have to be in whatever mood for it but great album..

• 2 months later...

the first time i said to myself 'man, this is an amazing album' was the first time i turned off all the lights, lay down on my bed, and listened to it LOUD with no external stimuli whatsoever. the loud part is very important, i think.

Aaah man... that first time listening to Pen Expers... felt like my heart exploded into a million pretty metalic butterflies.

Ok that sounds realy dumb but you know what I mean.

IT'S FREEKIN PRETTY!

Gotta love how the pretty melody creeps in and sounds like it's trying to burst through the wall of noise. That song is sooooo good played loud in headphones.

Guest sub sub
Aaah man... that first time listening to Pen Expers... felt like my heart exploded into a million pretty metalic butterflies.

Ok that sounds realy dumb but you know what I mean.

IT'S FREEKIN PRETTY!

Gotta love how the pretty melody creeps in and sounds like it's trying to burst through the wall of noise. That song is sooooo good played loud in headphones.

echo that, for me it begins and ends with this track.

I know that a lot of the tracks on Confield use MIDI-controlled sequencing algorithms. Do you think that's the reason so many of the tracks on the album kind of meander for long periods of time in a sort of process, instead of being structured more into 'parts' like traditional (Western) music?

yeah i get the impression the tracks could go on changing forever, if ae didn't press 'stop' at whatever point they do :}

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vodor

It's the best album ever.

It's by far the most emotive autechre album. Darkly emotive, for the most part, and more insidiously emotive than viscerally. Much of it is pure terror, without the visceral terror of Venetian Snares, for example. It's like Jacob's Ladder compared to some slasher flick.

Aside from VI Scose Poise (which is entirely tranquil) and Pen Expers (which is triumphant), it's all terror, anxiety, and despair. There's no autechre album that comes close to the emotional appeal of Confield. There are a few tracks that are deeply emotional (vletrmx21, drane, leterel) and more that are superficially emotional (slip), but all of Confield is deep. It's thick.

And I think it's far more accessible than anything that they've done after, and probably even more than the stuff that went just before (EP7 and associates). It's easier to follow, less convoluted and less technically focused. It's more about texture and microproduction and less about retarded mad beats. There's fewer elements and less going on in Confield than anything else post-Chiastic. It feels like the product of autechre focusing their talent into creating an album instead of just fucking around and making really cool-sounding shit. It probably wasn't really an aimed effort and was just a coincidence and a result of whatever headspace they were in, but that's what it seems like to me.

Draft has some of the lingering emotion of Confield here and there, and it's gone entirely in Untilted, for the most part. It shows a bit in sections (first part of lcc, for example), but it never lingers and isn't consistent enough for it to matter, for it to stick and have a real effect.

But of course, Untilted isn't supposed to be Confield, and it kicks ass in it's own way. :cool: Not in a way that is as appealling to me, but that's cool.

Guest cosmonaut

gotta say that this is definitely my overall autechre favorite, and one of my favorite electronic albums around. pen expers and lentic catachresis are two of autechre's best productions. fantastic album.

It's weird really, Uviol is a favourite of quite a few people on here, I find it really boring and drawn out personally. Every other track is stunning though. Sim Gishel and Cfern really do it for me.

Guest Iain C

I got this album yesterday because I've been on a Draft 7.30 tip the past few days and I wanted to see what some of Autechre's other latter-day stuff was like (I have Incunabula and LP5 also).

I was expecting it to be inaccessible and hard to get into like I found Draft, but no. This is probably a much better album, maybe even better than LP5 (which I love but also took me ages to get into). Either I've got more accustomed to Autechre in general, or this is their ultimate release. Either way I'm going to listen to Autechre all day... maybe a bit of BoC.

Yeah I would agree with you that this is more accessible than Draft. Still took me many listens to fully appreciate, but a great album.

i like draft a tad more, but Confield is a masterpiece. I'm surprised you find it more accessible than Draft though. I always thought Draft was like the old / new autechre fusion with good old melodies, and Untilted is like old/new autechre fusion with old sound design and barely any melody.

i like draft a tad more, but Confield is a masterpiece. I'm surprised you find it more accessible than Draft though. I always thought Draft was like the old / new autechre fusion with good old melodies, and Untilted is like old/new autechre fusion with old sound design and barely any melody.

quoted in agreement

Guest Combo McGriff
No Clipper or Ciapter but Pen Expers & Eidetic Casein are among AE's finest work.

I love Clipper but these two tracks are my favorite ones on the amazing Confield. Brilliant ! :alien:

Guest iep

confield is a world apart, it's all green, blue, breathing, organic and extremely lysergic, it gets right into my cortex, unreal phantomsound with mechs exploding in the background, huge structures standing hunderds of millions of miles tall with architecTonical Details that don't even span a nanometer, it has my synapses firing not only in conventional euclidian directions, oh no, my brain creates connections not even following the rules of the quantum mechanica, oh no, it's unleashed now, oh no, this is utterly alien, might be the best ever?

Archived