IGNORED

Neon Genesis Evangelion

YEK

5 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Ok, so, ages ago my mate sat me down and played me select scenes from the series and then the movie(s) and I remember being both a)extremely compromised and b)having my brain blown by the metaphysics of it all. 

If I wanted to sit down and give it a go, are there any recommendations on how to attack this? From cursory reading it sounds like at least one of the movies recaps main bits from the series and then adds an additional ending, but other movies seem to deviate from the initial run. Is it best to just try and watch the full series first? Is the version on Netflix ok to watch? Is it really as good as I remember? 

If you have no time I GUESS don't watch the tv series. The death and rebirth movie packs all of the show into one movie but I would not recommend, it's trash and such a bad way to experience the story. The end of evangelion movie takes place after the tv series so only watch it if you've seen the series. The four new movies are great  and it's a fairly short watch and yeah I guess you could just watch that.

Edited by yekker

53 minutes ago, dcom said:

Nah, none of my devices have any NGE via Prime, and Google Play shows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, The End, and Death and Rebirth - but they can't be watched. Boo.

Hmm that sucks. They all show up in the Prime Video app on my phone in the US, who knows about EU

D9C0C3C5-CA35-4E4B-AE77-708F673F857D.jpeg

37 minutes ago, yekker said:

If you have no time I GUESS don't watch the tv series. The death and rebirth movie packs all of the show into one movie but I would not recommend, it's trash and such a bad way to experience the story. The end of evangelion movie takes place after the tv series so only watch it if you've seen the series. The four new movies are great  and it's a fairly short watch and yeah I guess you could just watch that.

Welllll, I mean. Look. Evangelion is held up as a pillar of anime and it's more a matter of I don't know what I don't know. Partly because of the rehashing of old things in the various iterations, it's hard for me to figure out an entry point. 

I actually don't mind sitting down to watch the full series if peeps are like "you really gotta watch the series to fully experience it." It's more a matter of, is it something like Naruto where there is a lot of filler material that doesn't actually go anywhere/do anything*. 

Anyway, thanks for the insight - lack of time is all relative, it's more a matter of when than if (i.e., if I'm going to watch the whole series, it'll wait until after graduation, whereas if it's movies I could space out over the course of a few weekends). 

*full confession I've never watched all of Naruto but I think even avowed fans would say there is a lot of stuff that is probably extraneous/unnecessary in the anime. .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Welllll, I mean. Look. Evangelion is held up as a pillar of anime and it's more a matter of I don't know what I don't know. Partly because of the rehashing of old things in the various iterations, it's hard for me to figure out an entry point. 

I actually don't mind sitting down to watch the full series if peeps are like "you really gotta watch the series to fully experience it." It's more a matter of, is it something like Naruto where there is a lot of filler material that doesn't actually go anywhere/do anything*. 

Anyway, thanks for the insight - lack of time is all relative, it's more a matter of when than if (i.e., if I'm going to watch the whole series, it'll wait until after graduation, whereas if it's movies I could space out over the course of a few weekends). 

*full confession I've never watched all of Naruto but I think even avowed fans would say there is a lot of stuff that is probably extraneous/unnecessary in the anime. .. 

Then watch the whole series. It's popular for a reason.

• Like 2

if anyone fancies a rewatch of the series (or indeed for the first time) i would HIGHLY recommend the "sephirotic" release which:

- fixes the horrible filter on the blu-ray through painstaking colour/exposure correction to the original broadcast and animation cels

- redoes the subtitles to fix awkward, janky translations, especially *that* error in EoE which infamously negates the point of the show

- does a great job of restoring episode 16 as much as possible

- enough delicious grain to fill a silo while still remaining tasteful

- leagues better than the inferior netflix version, especially with regard to subtitles

5 hours ago, T3551ER said:

to be honest the series isn't that much of a commitment, episodes are ~25 minutes and there's 26 of them with a ~90 minute film to wrap it up. certainly less time than twin peaks! ;)

i'd also add to discussion re. the different "re-tellings" through the manga, rebuild films, etc - that this is only partially correct, and (actual spoiler)

Spoiler

they are technically sequels, since the universe resets after every third impact when shinji decides to tang the world. there a lots of hints to this throughout the various media and the looping theme is everywhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

I'll say, watching the entire project as it was released, will give you an appreciation for what was improved or corrected, and the different approaches each version makes. There's a reason Anno keeps retelling the same story.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Valleyfold said:

On ne, just katoin ensimmäisen : )

Ah, jos hakee Neon Genesis Evangelion niin ei löydy mitään, koska ne ovat pelkästään Evangelion. Nyt löytyi, kiitos.

Edited by dcom

• 3 weeks later...

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

Ultimate Edition Features

Limited Edition Artwork

The Ultimate Edition is encased in a premium-quality rigid-board shoulder box featuring artwork never before released in the UK. These renderings of Asuka and Rei were previously featured on the Japanese LaserDisc release, and are further accented with a hi-build UV treatment on the title and characters, with micromotion on the LCL around Rei. The set also includes two sturdy fold-out disc carriers featuring LaserDisc artwork of Shinji & Gendo on one with Misato & Kaji on the other.

Bonus Classic Dub
and Subtitled Versions

In addition to the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, there is an extra set of discs including the bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions for the twenty-six episode series, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION.

156-Page Book

A perfect-bound 156-page book collects promotional posters and artwork, a glossary of Angels and EVA units, a timeline of key moments in the release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, full credit lists for each episode, detailed surveys of all 26 NEON GENESIS EVANGELION episodes, and more.

Art Boards

Eleven double-sided 12x12" art boards are a high-quality replication of the full character-based artwork from the famed Japanese LaserDisc release. Printed on sturdy cardstock, these art boards are ready for wall display or additional framing.

Sachiel Resin Paperweight

A limited edition resin paperweight modeled on Sachiel, the 3rd Angel. Sachiel is the first Angel to appear in NEON GENESIS EVANGELION and emerges from the sea in EPISODE:1 ANGEL ATTACK

This paperweight was created exclusively for the Ultimate Edition.

NERV ID Card w/ Lanyard

Recreated from its appearance in NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, this double-sided guest ID Card features the NERV organization logo and includes a reusable 450mm lanyard adorned with the Magi System’s signature "EMERGENCY" indicators.

This ID Card and lanyard are created exclusively for the Ultimate Edition.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-DisplayView-BoxFrontv2_1_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-CondensedViewOpenv3_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-ArtCards_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-CondensedViewClosedv3_x1024.png?v=1627895803

2beb057db1ba716cf493afba4a382ebb.png2beb057db1ba716cf493afba4a382ebb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2021 at 11:30 PM, cruising for burgers said:

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-DisplayView-BoxFrontv2_1_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-CondensedViewOpenv3_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-ArtCards_x1024.png?v=1627895803https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/Evangelion-UK-CondensedViewClosedv3_x1024.png?v=1627895803

2beb057db1ba716cf493afba4a382ebb.png2beb057db1ba716cf493afba4a382ebb.png

BTW I got this already, still mint, don't even have a blu-ray player... 

anyway, some Asuka Langley midjourney renderings... a lot of input didn't really work... no chewing gum bubbles, only able to render full body on one of them, no grumpy face... my free trial is over and 10 bucks per month is too much...

thus one's my favorite, Asuka Langley in Adventure time style:

Timothy_James_masaaki_yuasa__adventure_time__evangelion__4k__As_153b9248-39fe-49dc-8852-b448b3434d1e.thumb.png.6e2af731c5a77f8ed3a43c633f875f22.pngTimothy_James_masaaki_yuasa_70396123-8ffb-4c2f-972a-0b58d178baba.thumb.png.83e0ffd3d9cc361dc6e74cb609c5c328.png

some are in Renaissance style...

Timothy_James_full_body_grumpy_Asuka_Langley_making_a_chewing_g_250c155f-9a1b-4b9b-9a7e-9b4c249b4344.png

Timothy_James_grumpy_Asuka_Langley_making_a_chewing_gum_bubble__a6789c7e-e091-446e-b32f-01e505e8b07b.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_in_Renaissance_style_c928db1d-03b9-44fb-986b-68772dd92806.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_in_Renaissance_style_27637987-2bdc-4808-a82c-2601c1d9ce75.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_in_Renaissance_style_990c970c-4518-4222-95bd-930667323193.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_making_a_chewing_gum_bubble_dressed_56b85264-ec6a-46cb-ab3f-81f046df8a93.png

Timothy_James_full_body_Asuka_Langley_180b57f5-a99a-4f81-8a94-27ba3a9dc51c.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_making_a_chewing_gum_bubble_dressed_1e8a8d81-901f-417b-92d3-47d770c58c0b.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_making_a_chewing_gum_bubble_dressed_e3583950-1c8b-47a4-85e1-21c4f20a5277.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_in_Renaissance_style_98174cda-2966-4253-9772-a45adfe9b7ff.png

Timothy_James_Asuka_Langley_in_Renaissance_style_1a19a0d2-3ecb-4df3-ab9d-33b22a9947bb.png

• Like 2

Anyone pick this up? It’s at my local shop   

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb593caf924ec8b62002e2e41e9aea2.jpeg

It’s got a lot of singing on it. I would prefer a vinyl release of just the instrumental stuff from the anime. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YEK said:

Anyone pick this up? It’s at my local shop   

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb593caf924ec8b62002e2e41e9aea2.jpeg

It’s got a lot of singing on it. I would prefer a vinyl release of just the instrumental stuff from the anime. 

yeah that's why I didn't order it... and while that record looks pretty neat, the cover design itself is a bit dull... 

this one gives me the chills... goosebumps everytime I ear it...

19 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

yeah that's why I didn't order it... and while that record looks pretty neat, the cover design itself is a bit dull... 

this one gives me the chills... goosebumps everytime I ear it...

Word.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...