IGNORED

Burial - Untrue

six

• 3 years later...

Go for the self titled album, released before Untrue, and then Kindred (EP) and the tracks featuring on the ''Box of Dub'' and ''5 Years of Hyperdub" compilations and then it should be ok.

All those EP's released these last 5 or 6 years really failled to impress me, and even finding some of this stuff really bad (Rival Dealer being the indisputed winner of those)

On 2/21/2010 at 6:24 PM, BobDobalina said:

You're walking down a dark alleyway on a cold, rainy night. Somewhere off in the distance, a singer croons soulful, evocative lamentations through the ethereal fog which permeates your inner-city existence. Around the corner, you hear the sound of a bullet casing hitting the worn, broken concrete, almost as if it were happening in slow motion. Suddenly the eerily familiar, almost too familiar, clickety-clack of a lightly-syncopated drumbeat descends upon you, punctuating the rise of Mary Anne Hobbes' spectre from a nearby skip. Slowly it dawns on you that there's no way out; you're stuck in every Burial song ever made.

/thread

• Like 4

On 11/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Lmao yes! Impeccable remixes aside... what is the best route to continue my Burial quest? I've only listened to Untrue, but I've been told a lot of his output since then has fallen short. Any truth to that? 

The run of 10" and 12" EPs in the last few years has been patchy but with some good tracks. But as they're all just one or two tracks, it shouldn't take long to rattle through them anyway. Best listening order:

Classic era:
Burial (+ EP tracks 'South London Boroughs' and 'Nite Train')
Untrue (+ EP tracks 'Shutta' and 'Exit Woundz')
'Unite' and 'Fostercare' (comp tracks)

The decent and lengthy EPs:
Street Halo
Kindred
Truant
Rival Dealer
'Prophecy' and 'Lambeth' (comp tracks)

Recent singles:
Temple Sleeper
Young Death / Nightmarket
Subtemple
Pre Dawn / Indoors
Rodent
Claustro / State Forest
These only actually add up to eight tracks and one remix, so can be listened to in a single sitting, and you'll probably find you like some of them. 

'Old Tape' (comp track)

If you buy CDs then Street Halo and Kindred were released together in Japan, which plays out a bit like a third album. Alternatively, the majority of the post-Untrue era material is being issued as a 2CD set in a couple of weeks, which actually benefits the recent tracks more, because two five minute ambient tracks on a 10" is a stupid way to listen to music.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, purlieu said:

*snip*

'Old Tape' (comp track)

*snap*

What does everyone think about that? When I first heard it, I thought it was one of those fakes that keep popping up whenever he releases sth., but it seems to be the real thing.

I'm, uh, surprised.

12 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Yup. That's what surprised me. I mean, there were a few not so great ones in the recent past, but this one is really cringey.

Waiting for the Burial/DJ Shadow collab.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, purlieu said:

'Prophecy'

Consider myself somewhat of a Burial Fan boi but thought what the fuck is Prophecy?.. how have i never heard this before! Nice proper old school dubstep vibe

Oh and personally really enjoying Old Tape!  Loving the 80s cringey cheese vibes but get why some wouldn't.. 

Its from this.

https://bleep.com/release/26571-j-da-flex-el-b-present-nu-levels

Confused if its is a collaboration with el-b or burial solo track? Seen it referred to a collaboration when i searched for it but just tagged as burial on bleep.. either way nice track and prob the most "dubstep" burial has ever sounded

I also thought it was well established Prophecy was an El-B + Burial collab. Unfortunately, I think both artists are best without eachother.