IGNORED

Burial - Untrue

six

On 11/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, IDEM said:

What does everyone think about that? When I first heard it, I thought it was one of those fakes that keep popping up whenever he releases sth., but it seems to be the real thing.

I'm, uh, surprised.

Don't know what the backstory of this track is. If it predates his two albums, I think it's interesting to hear how he evolved his style. As he started out way more poppy. 

On it's own, I understand why people think it's cringy. It's basically very "pop". But I don't think it's bad. It has a catchy hook. And should be like able for a bigger audience. But thats a different audience to the one that loved his albums.

I don't have a problem with this track. Or worse, I'd argue people should be able to widen up their tastes a bit. If you like Burial, this is a bit off the mark. But not in a way it should be trashed as garbage. I don't consider this garbage.

opinions...

3 hours ago, goDel said:

Don't know what the backstory of this track is. If it predates his two albums, I think it's interesting to hear how he evolved his style. As he started out way more poppy. 

On it's own, I understand why people think it's cringy. It's basically very "pop". But I don't think it's bad. It has a catchy hook. And should be like able for a bigger audience. But thats a different audience to the one that loved his albums.

I don't have a problem with this track. Or worse, I'd argue people should be able to widen up their tastes a bit. If you like Burial, this is a bit off the mark. But not in a way it should be trashed as garbage. I don't consider this garbage.

opinions...

Pretty sure it doesn't pre date his albums.. sounds like new track to me though god knows when he made it.. also could be rival dealer outtake i guess.. has similar vibe to Hiders 

Four-tet is burial is lolz meme don't think anyone actually believes it (or is this just part of the cover up!?)

4 hours ago, kirm said:

Pretty sure it doesn't pre date his albums.. sounds like new track to me though god knows when he made it.. also could be rival dealer outtake i guess.. has similar vibe to Hiders 

Four-tet is burial is lolz meme don't think anyone actually believes it (or is this just part of the cover up!?)

Burial has long been "unmasked". His name is William Bevan, and he lives in a McDonald's in Four Tet's bank vault.

• Haha 2

This Tunes 2011-2019 comp is a pretty nice set. The first disc is a bit of an odd one, as it's basically front-loaded with ambient tunes with a couple of bangers at the end (printed in the wrong order on the case), but it's still a much more satisfying listen than the standalone 10"s were. The second disc with Street Halo, Kindred and Truant all on it is really nice. Truant was always my least favourite of the EPs but in context of other material the collage approach jars a lot less. That disc really feels like it could have been LP3. 

Utterly, utterly baffled by the lack of Rodent, though. It's the only Hyperdub track missing from the set. Unless there's going to be a version on Beat Records with it as the standard Japanese bonus track.

2011-2019 has grown on me. Its got some nice track pacing: ie never a huge Rival Dealer fan, but its placement is nice. If I had not listened to all these songs before, this would have been a great follow up to Untrue.

I didn't take much notice of State Forest and Beachfires when they were released, if I remember I thought they were a bit boring but Burial seems to pull a magic trick with these two tracks opening this compilation. The trick is they sound badass back to back. Two stunning tunes. I wasn't to sure on Subtemple either until I found out the lyric is 'took your soul out' which depending on how you decipher it in your mind, sounds either romantic or satanic. I mean to me that sounds pretty fucking satanic and the trippy darkness of the music would suggest so (I'm not sure if that was the intended effect but I'm keeping it)Young Death seems very weak then Nightmarket picks up the journey once again, sounding like sitting alone in a haunted train carriage, travelling from the city out to the countryside, looking at blurry firework displays in the far distance. 

This compilation has definitely made me rethink my opinion that he's been a lost cause since Kindred/Rival Dealer.

Edited by beer badger

yeah, as unnecessary as i deemed this compilation to be - i gotta say it is really nice to listen to hear it all together. and yeah, i can make playlists etc, but i didn't. if he released this entire 'album' as his follow up to untrue people would be shitting their pants.

all in all - no hate for this comp. it's nice.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, beer badger said:

I wasn't to sure on Subtemple either until I found out the lyric is 'took your soul out' which depending on how you decipher it in your mind, sounds either romantic or satanic. I mean to me that sounds pretty fucking satanic

Even more satanic its from James blunt! Well think it maybe a sample from a youtube cover  of this song..

But yeah I've cained all the tunes on this new comp to death  over the last decade but still v much enjoying them in this new contect

Also love old tape more and more..been listening to that and the Luke Slater Love remix loads recently 

Btw Starlore rip is out there... sticking this on my little playlist with subtemple beachfires and stateforest

Not my favourite flavour of Burial tbf but find his forays into dark ambient style pretty cool