Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
six

Burial - Untrue

Recommended Posts

On 2/21/2010 at 6:24 PM, BobDobalina said:

You're walking down a dark alleyway on a cold, rainy night. Somewhere off in the distance, a singer croons soulful, evocative lamentations through the ethereal fog which permeates your inner-city existence. Around the corner, you hear the sound of a bullet casing hitting the worn, broken concrete, almost as if it were happening in slow motion. Suddenly the eerily familiar, almost too familiar, clickety-clack of a lightly-syncopated drumbeat descends upon you, punctuating the rise of Mary Anne Hobbes' spectre from a nearby skip. Slowly it dawns on you that there's no way out; you're stuck in every Burial song ever made.

/thread

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Lmao yes! Impeccable remixes aside... what is the best route to continue my Burial quest? I've only listened to Untrue, but I've been told a lot of his output since then has fallen short. Any truth to that? 

The run of 10" and 12" EPs in the last few years has been patchy but with some good tracks. But as they're all just one or two tracks, it shouldn't take long to rattle through them anyway. Best listening order:

Classic era:
Burial (+ EP tracks 'South London Boroughs' and 'Nite Train')
Untrue (+ EP tracks 'Shutta' and 'Exit Woundz')
'Unite' and 'Fostercare' (comp tracks)

The decent and lengthy EPs:
Street Halo
Kindred
Truant
Rival Dealer
'Prophecy' and 'Lambeth' (comp tracks)

Recent singles:
Temple Sleeper
Young Death / Nightmarket
Subtemple
Pre Dawn / Indoors
Rodent
Claustro / State Forest
These only actually add up to eight tracks and one remix, so can be listened to in a single sitting, and you'll probably find you like some of them. 

'Old Tape' (comp track)


If you buy CDs then Street Halo and Kindred were released together in Japan, which plays out a bit like a third album. Alternatively, the majority of the post-Untrue era material is being issued as a 2CD set in a couple of weeks, which actually benefits the recent tracks more, because two five minute ambient tracks on a 10" is a stupid way to listen to music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gracias for the summary! 

I read about the upcoming 2CD release not too long ago, maybe I'll check it out once I've blitzed through the older stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, purlieu said:

*snip*

'Old Tape' (comp track)

*snap*

What does everyone think about that? When I first heard it, I thought it was one of those fakes that keep popping up whenever he releases sth., but it seems to be the real thing.

I'm, uh, surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. That's what surprised me. I mean, there were a few not so great ones in the recent past, but this one is really cringey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Yup. That's what surprised me. I mean, there were a few not so great ones in the recent past, but this one is really cringey.

Waiting for the Burial/DJ Shadow collab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, purlieu said:


'Prophecy'
 

Consider myself somewhat of a Burial Fan boi but thought what the fuck is Prophecy?.. how have i never heard this before! Nice proper old school dubstep vibe

Oh and personally really enjoying Old Tape!  Loving the 80s cringey cheese vibes but get why some wouldn't.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't even remember what 'Prophecy' is from, it's just sat on my computer.

 

I like 'Old Tape' a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Old Tape track? It's cheesy but oh well I like a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheesy doesn't even cut it. Pun well intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also thought it was well established Prophecy was an El-B + Burial collab. Unfortunately, I think both artists are best without eachother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is burial good yet or still pond material like OPN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

burial is fine for what it is. i will always love choons like southern comfort:

 

burial is four tet tho, just to let you kno

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Salvatorin said:

burial is fine for what it is. i will always love choons like southern comfort:

 

burial is four tet tho, just to let you kno

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I like Four Tet but not Burial. What now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Hey I like Four Tet but not Burial. What now?

Existential crisis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fucked up if true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, IDEM said:

What does everyone think about that? When I first heard it, I thought it was one of those fakes that keep popping up whenever he releases sth., but it seems to be the real thing.

I'm, uh, surprised.

Don't know what the backstory of this track is. If it predates his two albums, I think it's interesting to hear how he evolved his style. As he started out way more poppy. 

On it's own, I understand why people think it's cringy. It's basically very "pop". But I don't think it's bad. It has a catchy hook. And should be like able for a bigger audience. But thats a different audience to the one that loved his albums.

I don't have a problem with this track. Or worse, I'd argue people should be able to widen up their tastes a bit. If you like Burial, this is a bit off the mark. But not in a way it should be trashed as garbage. I don't consider this garbage.

opinions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StephenG said:

Is burial good yet or still pond material like OPN?

like opn? wat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t listened to it yet but I just wanna say “In McDonalds” is one of the greatest song titles of all time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goDel said:

Don't know what the backstory of this track is. If it predates his two albums, I think it's interesting to hear how he evolved his style. As he started out way more poppy. 

On it's own, I understand why people think it's cringy. It's basically very "pop". But I don't think it's bad. It has a catchy hook. And should be like able for a bigger audience. But thats a different audience to the one that loved his albums.

I don't have a problem with this track. Or worse, I'd argue people should be able to widen up their tastes a bit. If you like Burial, this is a bit off the mark. But not in a way it should be trashed as garbage. I don't consider this garbage.

opinions...

Pretty sure it doesn't pre date his albums.. sounds like new track to me though god knows when he made it.. also could be rival dealer outtake i guess.. has similar vibe to Hiders 

Four-tet is burial is lolz meme don't think anyone actually believes it (or is this just part of the cover up!?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

like opn? wat

image.png

Edited by StephenG
Double posted pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kirm said:

Pretty sure it doesn't pre date his albums.. sounds like new track to me though god knows when he made it.. also could be rival dealer outtake i guess.. has similar vibe to Hiders 

Four-tet is burial is lolz meme don't think anyone actually believes it (or is this just part of the cover up!?)

 

Burial has long been "unmasked". His name is William Bevan, and he lives in a McDonald's in Four Tet's bank vault.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...