IGNORED

Burial - Untrue

six

strange album, if you ask me.

the percussion samples are weak (to my taste) and the same kit gets used over and over again. i hear all kinds of hisses, cracks and glitches and i don't really like in the production. the vocals are (c'mon, really) borderline cheesy...

that being said, its been on cycle repeat since yesterday. not sure what to say... but its got my attention. its kind of a wtf album (trying to figure it out).

my favorites are "ghost hardware" and "etched headplate". "shell of light" is quite nice too... and then maybe the title track.

Guest Synthacat 9

i didnt read this thread so i didnt get to see any of the hype,

so let me say without anything to tell me how good this album is except for my ears

its fucking brilliant!

Guest awkward

i heard the first album and thought it was ok but knew i wouldnt listen to it much so didnt buy it.

and i feel the same about this album. its 'ok' you know. some interesting tracks and maybe peaked my interest in dubstep but the vocals are cheesy no matter how much reverb applied. is that craig david or usher i hear?

seems liek burial is the gateway to dubstep as aphex twin is the gateway to electronic music.

not bad.

the first album had its moments but this is too much on the wrong side of bad for me, with those really cheap & poppy tearjearker harmonies, and gimmicky pitched pop-vocals. those two ingredients dont always make for bad music, but here it sounds like uk garage gone all introspective and sentimental, taking itself way to seriously. i can definitely see how some people would like this but it just makes me cringe

r&b doesn't really exist. i don't know wtf this is though, plus dubstep is a shit fuck or shit in one heap.

It was called trip hop 10 years ago, you remember trip hop right?

Guest marcnplymouth

Well - this sure IS a funny old album isn't it. My missus (who adores the odd burial track - esp Versus) loves it when I jabber on and get all excited about a new release - so. . ..

'What do you think of the new Burial album?' she asks.

I say 'It's a funny old album - a lot of it feels quite formless - basically loops with a load of pitch-shifted vocals on top. I bought the Todd Edwards 'Odyssey' album because Burial said it was a favourite of his - and I liked it, the level of invention in it was incredible - but, and it's a big but, those bloody auto-tuned vocals all over the place kept making me think of late 90's speed garage nonsense. So I can see where he's got the influence to work with samples like that - and it does give the tracks a very underground, hand-crafted feel that wouldn't be there if you got a vocalist in specially to sing what you wanted - anyway that's not a manner in which he could probably work - it's about getting out there and finding sounds then working with them to make something new - a different approach. So - those vocal snippets. . . are they annoying? or are they Todd Edwards-esque underground hand-crafted samples? After a lot of listens - and with the constant consideration of 'this is something different that you're just not used to - you remember thinking that when you first heard jungle don't you?' - the vocals are annoying, and rubbish - but it's more than that. The first album had a lot of different feeling tracks - different structures, different beat patterns - but this album all tends to feel the same, with a lot of emphasis on the pitch-shifted samples to create a sense of development over a largely unchanging backdrop. When Ghost Hardware comes on you can really feel the difference - the samples are there for emphasis, they 'create' points that add to the flow and form of the track which is mainly comprised of the beats and atmosphere - everything you loved from the old Burial album - or tracks like versus, unite, even shutta. Then there's the sense that a lot of the album is a whole lot of filler - a quick headcount shows that five of the tracks are noodly atmospherics and Shell Of Light ends with a lot of fillery stuff so it's kind of like 5.5 tracks of filler. The good tracks, to me, are Untrue (though it does go on a bit), Shell of Light (where the vocals work quite well), Homeless, and Raver - which you have to include even if it does belch out some dodgy rave-kitsch high-pitched nonsense because it's the only really different track off the album. In it's defense I've been playing it constantly - and I'm still in two minds about a lot of it - but on the whole I find myself putting other Burial stuff on and preferring that, and hoping that album number three finds the strength and confidence in his own style that he doesn't try and ape someone else's vision of 2-step.'

She was asleep by then - and I made a note of a perfect way to get my future children to nod off sharpish.

So there you go. . . .

It won't win any album of the year awards - the first one was 10x better.

M x

lol at electronic music dorks desperately trying to classify this album

trip hop wtf???

easily the best album i've heard in 2007 along with rushup edge

what he said.

lol at electronic music dorks desperately trying to classify this album

trip hop wtf???

easily the best album i've heard in 2007 along with rushup edge

Trip hop (also known as the Bristol sound or Bristol acid rap) is a term coined by music journalist Andy Pemberton in the UK magazine Mixmag to describe the hip hop instrumental "In/Flux", a 1993 single by DJ Shadow, and other similar tracks released on the Mo' Wax label and being played in London clubs at the time. "In/Flux", with its mixed up bpms, spoken word samples, strings, melodies, bizarre noises, phat bass, and slow beats and grooves...

It IS trip hop.