IGNORED

THE LUKE VIBERT NEGATIVITY THREAD

Guest hahathhat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does seem like a nice guy, and he is probably honest with his music - but since this is the negativity thread or whatever: why do people keep saying his lack of brilliant musical skill or flair is a good thing? Why listen to an artist who makes music in a (sometimes) half assed way when there's loads out there putting their hearts into doing something special? With most of Luke's stuff, I feel like I could like it, I feel like I want to like it, but it's often just that little bit too repetitive and lazy to allow for enjoyment. I play my music to a friends quite a lot, and Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Plaid, Autechre, BoC, and others, they all get reactions of 'wtf is this!?' or 'wtf, this is awesome!' Whenever I've played Luke Vibert, it's been like, 'yeah, this is quite nice, it's ok.' A little while later it funks along, unnoticed.

Thing is, there IS something special about his music, and it does have lush, fat loops within it, but it never feels capitalized on. I kind of wish he worked with a partner or something, so he could laid out all his ideas quickly (as he does) stoned out of his mind or whatever, and then the other half could render it into something fully-developed and special.

I'm not being harsh for the sake of it. I'm just going by how my ears hear his records and how he comes across in interviews re making music.

i think that's the point though.

the others give new listeners that "wtf?" moment, whereas lukes style would be a lot more easy going and familiar to them. he just happened to get lumped in with the woah idm crowd.

i don't think luke wants nerds scratching their chin when they listen to his tunes. for me (and him too, most certainly), it's just about the beats and grooviness.

eg. i rarely listen to squarepusher anymore. was amazing when you first hear it, but after a while I just got tired of it. keep coming back to luke though, because funnily enough it's the simplicity of his music that keeps it fresh IMO.

Guest Calx Sherbet

electrophy is a terrible track.

i always thought "God" was awful....

but other than that i'm in love with his albums

Guest hahathhat

i'm am not a fan of 'de-pimp act' from 'we hear you' at all. this album has some good tracks but the shitty ones are almost totally unlistenable

i made this thread as a joke, but i have to agree here

Guest PWSTEAL

i'm am not a fan of 'de-pimp act' from 'we hear you' at all. this album has some good tracks but the shitty ones are almost totally unlistenable

i made this thread as a joke, but i have to agree here

Well I have to disagree, "de-pimp act" is one of my favorite tracks off of "We Hear You"

I feel this way about both We Hear You and Chicago, Detroit, Redruth. They both have good tracks with a few that are total garbage.

Guest Calx Sherbet

I feel this way about both We Hear You and Chicago, Detroit, Redruth. They both have good tracks with a few that are total garbage.

same. everything else seems so perfect to me

I think I need to give Musipal more listens as well as Sorry I Make You Lush. They both have amazing songs, but then there are others that just bore the ever living fuck out of me.

I think I need to give Musipal more listens as well as Sorry I Make You Lush. They both have amazing songs, but then there are others that just bore the ever living fuck out of me.

Really? These are both awesome! Love both of them

Guest Calx Sherbet

Really? These are both awesome! Love both of them

shadows makes me extremely happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Breakbeat Metal Music. That Speak'n'Spell is the most annoying thing ever.

That's one of two songs I still listen to on that album.

A lot of Luke's stuff goes on for too long, that's what I think.

Archived