Sign in to follow this  
BobDobalina

Rant about Confield

yeah, pule is a bit odd isn't it? i don't think i'd have a problem with it as much if it wasn't 8 or 9 minutes or something.

but yeah, tewe, hub and nuane are probably my favourites on this. the rest i kind of have to be in the mood for it - maybe even more than most autechre. but the second half makes a lot more sense lying in bed drifting in and out of sleep. i always get a weird nautical feeling in the second half too - maybe it's just that track which sounds like it has a whale in it or something.

Guest Rook
Rook why is Nuane such a fucking good song? that arpeggio melody that creeps in towards the end for about 45 seconds is seriously awesome

The gritty industrial chop beginning Nuane, can only be summed up in one word. Penetrating. These beats are the prelude to what would some day become pen expers. The repetitive yet somehow ever changing symmetrical melodies and roomy, airy, bass hyper-charges your imagination. Despite the many layers that are Nuane, you can't help seeing something that isn't there. You feel as if you knew the song before you even hear it. As the late great master Alfred Hitchcock once said, "there is no terror in the bang, only the anticipation of it". Nuane is that quote come to life. Your breathing gets heavier and more intense as the song goes along. The adrenaline rising. By the time Nuane begins to wind down, you are already in a state of subliminal satisfaction.

Confield.

When you listen to music, is there a direction to it? Is it left to right? I don't know about most music...maybe most is just staying still. Well, this album is like moving slowly forward, tied to a rail like in one of those shoot'em'up space ship videogames, each track a new Boss fight: Patterns that never quite repeat , new elements whizzing around, unfolding progressively through different stages of decay as the boss is destroyed. Physically, listening to it with headphones, it feels like moving forward in space. Things might fall from the sky above you and crash down: these are called 'drums' in other musics. Other things bounce around on the ground from right to left. Colored, textured walls suddenly rise up on the left side of the 'stage set', looking more like force fields of energy than a real walls. It's the most attention grabbing, visually stimulating album I've ever heard, provided I give it my full attention. And when I don't give it that... when I, say, put it on the stereo as "background" music while drifting off to sleep, through that in-between state of wakefulness and sleep...the particular configuration of the stereo in the room relative to the bed always makes the bass weight of music extra heavy while laying down, and Confield is no exception. It feels like being an insect pinned to a board, sound waves wrapping me up like a narcotic cloud. Completely mind transforming, complimenting what's already happening while falling asleep. The tracks on Confield function as miniature worlds more than as what we usually call "songs." They are that in so much as they are directed passages of sound. But they are not experienced as songs... they refuse passivity. Each level of attention is being assuaged independently and complexly. Like the worlds we live through, we can't notice everything at once, but everything at once is contributing to a whole which we can say to see, if only as a blur of combinations. We can also filter out some and focus on particulars, a few at a time at best. And with this album, every time we do we are rewarded with new discoveries. If there is any other music that does this, please tell me about it.

Guest Caustic

Rook why aren't you a reviewer for some fancy IDMs magazine.

Guest Enter a new display name
Rook why aren't you a reviewer for some fancy IDMs magazine.

Because he overrates everything! :rolleyes:

Guest Rook

As soon as there is a fancy electronic music magazine I will apply

And if you think Confield is overrated, you seriously fail at music.

In case you didn't know, Confield is my favorite. ;P

Nuane = awesome song. Chiastic = awesome album.

Sorry ladies, still don't get Confield. You either do or you don't. Bob don't.

And for the record my album scoresheet looks like this:

Brilliant Ae: LP5, Amber

Damn Fine Ae: Chiastic, Tri Repetae, Draft

Good Ae: ep7, Untitled

Meh Ae: Confield, Incunabula

Guest ezkerraldean

why do you try and interpret it so deeply? its just a fucking album by a couple of guys most people have never heard of.

Guest Rook
why do you try and interpret it so deeply? its just a fucking album by a couple of guys most people have never heard of.

Yes, God forbid we enjoy something and even more heinous is it that we form an emotional attachment to art. And everyone knows it is only good if it is Mozart because everyone has heard of him.

In case you didn't catch it, I was being sarcastic. I actually hate you. Please die.

If you don't care about albums by guys most people have never heard of, then why are you on this board?

i forgot to mention... i was dozing off over the weekend when confield was playing... i then had a dream that the cd came to life and started growing moss! when i woke up i was like "that totally makes sense!"

I wish I could dream of Autechre as masterfully as you, Assymmetrical Head! <333

confield is amazing. autechre on lsd is one of the best things a person can experience.

As soon as there is a fancy electronic music magazine I will apply

go kick grooves mag's ass and see if you too can work something out. :rdjgrin:

Guest ezkerraldean
If you don't care about albums by guys most people have never heard of, then why are you on this board?

my point was, why try and interpret it so much, just chill out and listen to it, innit.

Guest Rook

my point was, why try and interpret it so much, just chill out and listen to it, innit.

OMG YESSSSS!!!! I FEEL THE SAME WAYYYYYY!!! It's like those morons who try to find "meaning" in a Shakespeare play!!!!! Doesn't everyone know he is just telling a pretty story?!?!?!?!?!?! Or a Hitchcock movie. Just point A to point B y00!!!!!

OMG YESSSSS!!!! I FEEL THE SAME WAYYYYYY!!! It's like those morons who try to find "meaning" in a Shakespeare play!!!!! Doesn't everyone know he is just telling a pretty story?!?!?!?!?!?! Or a Hitchcock movie. Just point A to point B y00!!!!!

You're the same with your Autechre analysises.

After a whole week of intensive Chiastic Slide listenings, this is officially one of their best albums, great misunderstood job, Rob and Sean! :ok:

Guest Rook
After a whole week of intensive Chiastic Slide listenings, this is officially one of their best albums, great misunderstood job, Rob and Sean! :ok:

good thing I "overrated" that album too eh?

good thing I "overrated" that album too eh?

Pardon me... :cry: That was for me the hardest album by Autechre to get into.

Recury, I love you! <333

I find Pen Expers to be quite an enjoyable track. I actually found myself compelled to dance to it, but in a glitchy, twitchy way that feels really good. Actually, the whole album makes me want to move around, in a sort of demented way. Like, I just find specific muscles in my body reacting to the different sounds, kind of like the album is controlling my body...and really allot of the time when i listen to Confield I feel like my mind is numbing down, but opening up. Like cold intelligence is just flowing into my head while human understanding is being forced out... Confield takes over my body and leaves my mind to shed the concept of being, so i can see existence at its roots....I really feel sometimes that this album describes elementary particles...

I also find myself doing a mixture of laughing and crying just in response to some of the sounds on this album. Its like the pureness of the sound hits some sort of pleasure center in my brain and releases counteracting chemicals, and they just bounce around, leaving me confused as to what I am feeling in response to this...all I know is some of the tracks are just too beautiful for me too handle. Parhelic Triangle is the best example of those sounds. Those bells in the distance just send me into nirvana. I can't even take how beautiful it is. I just can't understand it. Its just too good. aauauauaaauauauauuaauhhhhhhhhh>>. NNduie *right now my eyes are super fucking open and I'm smiling madly and shivering and twitching*

Edited by Salvatorin

I would imagine Uviol as in the soundtrack of a documentary about deep sea creatures. Reminds me of deep seas.

Rook why is Nuane such a fucking good song? that arpeggio melody that creeps in towards the end for about 45 seconds is seriously awesome

The gritty industrial chop beginning Nuane, can only be summed up in one word. Penetrating. These beats are the prelude to what would some day become pen expers. The repetitive yet somehow ever changing symmetrical melodies and roomy, airy, bass hyper-charges your imagination. Despite the many layers that are Nuane, you can't help seeing something that isn't there. You feel as if you knew the song before you even hear it. As the late great master Alfred Hitchcock once said, "there is no terror in the bang, only the anticipation of it". Nuane is that quote come to life. Your breathing gets heavier and more intense as the song goes along. The adrenaline rising. By the time Nuane begins to wind down, you are already in a state of subliminal satisfaction.

Nuane may be my favorite ae song. I always saw it as celebratory. Like, you're in a desert, when far in the distance you see a form approaching. Eventually, the shape materializes into some sort of bizarre, many-limbed creature/perpetual motion machine, spewing streamers and confetti from every orifice, like some sort of eerie Moebius painting. It passes you by and gradually recedes into the distance, with a few strange followers/stragglers wandering behind, spinning in circles, etc.

Or maybe it's just the music jawas listen to in their sand crawler.

Epic.

Guest Rook
Nuane may be my favorite ae song. I always saw it as celebratory. Like, you're in a desert, when far in the distance you see a form approaching. Eventually, the shape materializes into some sort of bizarre, many-limbed creature/perpetual motion machine, spewing streamers and confetti from every orifice, like some sort of eerie Moebius painting. It passes you by and gradually recedes into the distance, with a few strange followers/stragglers wandering behind, spinning in circles, etc.

Or maybe it's just the music jawas listen to in their sand crawler.

Epic.

Interesting, I would never get desert from Nuane because of its strong industrial tinge.