Things that are IDM as Fuck

Guest analogue wings

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://vimeo.com/30668685

A Semiconductor work by Ruth Jarman and Joe Gerhardt.

Audio Data courtesy of CARISMA, operated by the University of Alberta, funded by the Canadian Space Agency. Special Thanks to Andy Kale.

Made for the exhibition Invisible Fields at Arts Santa Monica in Barcelona Spain.

lighthouse.org.uk/​programme/​invisible-fields

20 Hz observes a geo-magnetic storm occurring in the Earth's upper atmosphere. Working with data collected from the CARISMA radio array and interpreted as audio, we hear tweeting and rumbles caused by incoming solar wind, captured at the frequency of 20 Hertz. Generated directly by the sound, tangible and sculptural forms emerge suggestive of scientific visualisations. As different frequencies interact both visually and aurally, complex patterns emerge to create interference phenomena that probe the limits of our perception.

Audio Data courtesy of CARISMA, operated by the University of Alberta, funded by the Canadian Space Agency. Special Thanks to Andy Kale.

Made for the exhibition Invisible Fields at Arts Santa Monica in Barcelona Spain.

20 Hz observes a geo-magnetic storm occurring in the Earth's upper atmosphere. Working with data collected from the CARISMA radio array and interpreted as audio, we hear tweeting and rumbles caused by incoming solar wind, captured at the frequency of 20 Hertz. Generated directly by the sound, tangible and sculptural forms emerge suggestive of scientific visualisations. As different frequencies interact both visually and aurally, complex patterns emerge to create interference phenomena that probe the limits of our perception.

wicked!

• 3 months later...

wicked!

awesome luke

now hands off this shit, officially reserved as visualisation for me next track, fucking perfect !

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

tumblr_mkbrrl4r7T1ruj667o1_1280.png

you guys, it happened again. for the second time this month, soundcloud has mistakenly decided that one of my datasound tracks — a work in which every sound is made from sonified raw data — contains samples from house music (well, this time it’s tech house).

here is my track. and

. no human ear would ever confuse these two recordings, and yet for some reason, their algorithm did.

as i said the last time this happened, this is so glitch that i can hardly believe it’s true. it’s like a joke a glitch artist would make. indeed, it makes me wonder whether you could deliberately write music designed to trip up their content protection system… music that contains no samples but “sounds” similar to the ears of a bot. someone get to work on that.

update:within half an hour of filing a dispute, my track is back up on soundcloud. my understanding is that this is rare, so i’m fortunate that my case is so clear-cut.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived