IGNORED

q-chastic ep

Guest yetihunter

Guest yetihunter

so then,

the q chastic ep,

does it really exist?

i've been following aphex for far too long, but never once have i actually seen a copy.

the tracks for this ep on soulseek sound like johnny L or somebody, apart from the track which appeared on the philosophy of sound and machine CD.

i've never seen it for sale anywhere, ever... not ebay, gemm, netsounds, oxfam, nowhere!

a few months back record collector magazine valued the ep at £200 but still couldn't provide any photos..

does anyone here own this original ep? or have even seen it?

or would i be right in saying it was just a planned release on rephlex which never actually happened?

shame, cos the one track that has been released was a cracker too

i laugh whenever a magazine tried to be a priceguide and give something value anymore. ebay and the internets destroyed their ability to asign value to anything long ago.

Q-Chastic, if it were physically avaliable, would be worth over a grand possibly, being as AB5 has sold for that and we've seen plenty of real copies.

1. Yes is does exist.

2. Picture? Black Vinyl White label

3. I think 5/5, it should be relased. It is more "chill" than other Afx stuff, but better than some newer singles that have came out in past years (smudgeface, Run the place red and such)

Guest yetihunter

fair enough, but i won't be truly happy until i have a copy in my hands!

so if rephlex cat 002 does exist - what is / was going to be rephlex cat 003? aphex again? kosmik kommando?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlexPallas
CAT003 was/is a EP by GWC.

would it be alright if i put the mp3s up?

i got a good transfer from someone on discogs.com

CAT003 was/is a EP by GWC.

would it be alright if i put the mp3s up?

i got a good transfer from someone on discogs.com

That would be very nice, I wasn't even aware this existed.

But I think I know what Joyrex's answer will be.

Guest AlexPallas

i really wouldn't be surprised if these are the some tracks the rest of you guys downloaded somewhere, but it is curious how the quality of the sound on all for of these tracks (clips for you guys) is remarkably similar. i got this copy from a guy on discogs claiming to have copied it directly from the vinyl, i'll try to get some images.

heres the link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12564909/Q-Chastic_clips.zip.html

scroll down, select 'Free' wait the alotted time & download.

Guest MrGerbik

Listened to the clips... while it was nice of Alex to share these, I am sorry to say you have been duped... there is no way in hell that the qchastic ep. He took the one genuine qchastic track available (from the Philosophy comp) and combined with 3 tracks that aren't anywhere close to the sound quality or style of the 1 real track. And not to sound like an uppety AFX fanboy dork, but those of us who have listened to him religiously for 10+ years know genuine RDJ when we hear it (released or not). Doesn't matter when it was done or in what style... his quirks/habits are one of a kind and easily spotted in any of his music (even if it's subpar or generic).

i really wouldn't be surprised if these are the some tracks the rest of you guys downloaded somewhere, but it is curious how the quality of the sound on all for of these tracks (clips for you guys) is remarkably similar. i got this copy from a guy on discogs claiming to have copied it directly from the vinyl, i'll try to get some images.

heres the link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12564909/Q-Chastic_clips.zip.html

scroll down, select 'Free' wait the alotted time & download.

Guest AlexPallas

i think it beats out some of the Melody From Mars stuff and even a few of the released pieces, maybe i have been duped, but i know if i can get the guy who said he had the vinyl and made the conversion to send my pictures of the release, i'm willing to believe it. these tracks are really good though so it doesnt really matter to me.

Guest yetihunter

cheers guys, them clips are the same as the ones i have.

i just think they don't sound like RDJ, apart from that one from the philosophy cd.

Guest AlexPallas

track one isnt reminiscent of SAW1 with drum programming like HAB?

track two and four isn't reminiscent of AB1?

who really knows? this is a good release

These tracks (with the exception of track 3, which is a legit RDJ track, but not from the Q-Chastic EP), are all fakes. They are too modern sounding and even the recording quality varies from track 3 compared to all the others. RDJ was using cassettes back then, so much of his early music has a hissy quality to it. Q-Chastic was pressed supposedly in 1992, but who knows how old it was before they decided to do that test pressing.

Also, Grant himself has said that the ART2 track does NOT appear on the Q-Chastic EP, and sounds totally different.

Thanks for the effort, but unfortunately it's not the real deal.

I think Q-Chastic will remain one big mystery as I can see it. I guess thats kinda cool in a way as a lot of AFX stuff has been demystified through the internet.

• 11 months later...

Archived