IGNORED

q-chastic ep

Guest yetihunter

Guest AlexPallas

yes, perhaps there should be a sticky this is mentioned so much! only track 3 is really q-chastic and its not even from the vinyl set, its from a cd compilation.

q-chastic ep does exist but in test pressing???

i think richard didn't love this ep... i'm sure q-chastic ep is 2 give a legend 2 him... why AB5 exists in test pressing also? myster... all is mysterious... & it may b as it, we can't 2 know how is q-chastic ep, just it was existed --- it is catalogued : cat002.

we have all on richard's music, it is already a pleasure of having them! me i await his next album, don't care this q-chastic ep except if james re-release it... ;-)

I have an mp3 copy as I have said before, it's got the same track as the one on the compilation CD by Q-Chastic not sure which one, A2 I think but the rest are made in the same way, I doubt it's a fake.

Guest AlexPallas

it's really no longer a subject of argument, one q-chastic track is in the hands of the public, the rest are fake. this has been explicitly explained by Grant Wilson.

wait, as far as i know (from that email thing with grant that joyrex did)

q-chastic 2x7" was a sort of "dj" type tool... i'm assuming like panasonic's "arctic rangers" thing where they had individual tracks (like the drums or whatever) on each side - so you could you use it to make your own mix as a dj.

and that the track on the art compilation was a "happy mix of" those parts.

That interview I did never mentioned this... I think your wires are crossed somewhere...

q-chastic ep does exist but in test pressing???

i think richard didn't love this ep... i'm sure q-chastic ep is 2 give a legend 2 him... why AB5 exists in test pressing also? myster... all is mysterious... & it may b as it, we can't 2 know how is q-chastic ep, just it was existed --- it is catalogued : cat002.

we have all on richard's music, it is already a pleasure of having them! me i await his next album, don't care this q-chastic ep except if james re-release it... ;-)

Yes, it's 12"x2 but cut as a 10" (one track each side, two discs). Back when Richard and I were on speaking terms, he was considering sending me audio snippets of it and CAT023 for the site, but Q-Chastic was hard since he didn't have it on vinyl anymore, and the DAT was back at his parent's old house in storage. I reckon in Rephlex's early days, money was tight and while they could do test pressings, not everything they wanted to release they felt was commercially viable and so some releases were held back, with the intention of releasing them someday and then they eventually fell to the side and never did get released.

I have an mp3 copy as I have said before, it's got the same track as the one on the compilation CD by Q-Chastic not sure which one, A2 I think but the rest are made in the same way, I doubt it's a fake.

I doubt you're right, but OK, sure. A rare release a small handful of people (perhaps 2 or 3 at the most) are going to allow a recording to get out, and that recording then appears on a file sharing site that you download like anything else. I'm sure you must be right and it's got to be the real deal. Even though I've already stated from my interview that the Q-Chastic song does NOT appear on the Q-Chastic (CAT002) release.

What the fuck does Q-Chastic mean anyways? Is it something like Q-Caustic (a play off his Caustic Window monkier?)

Guest Caustic
Yes, it's 12"x2 but cut as a 10" (one track each side, two discs). Back when Richard and I were on speaking terms, he was considering sending me audio snippets of it and CAT023 for the site, but Q-Chastic was hard since he didn't have it on vinyl anymore, and the DAT was back at his parent's old house in storage. I reckon in Rephlex's early days, money was tight and while they could do test pressings, not everything they wanted to release they felt was commercially viable and so some releases were held back, with the intention of releasing them someday and then they eventually fell to the side and never did get released.

You increase my jealousy with every post you make.

Tell us everything he's ever said to you.

What the fuck does Q-Chastic mean anyways? Is it something like Q-Caustic (a play off his Caustic Window monkier?)

i like the name. it sounds like some annoying 90s buzzword

"Dude,that's so Q-Chastic!"

• 1 year later...

found this on discogs reviews:

Q-Chastics discogs entry

betadron, Sep 17, 2008

Hey, all you current 53 members who claim to have a copy of this release: Why not grab a digicam, make some neat pics and finally produce EVIDENCE that this record exists after all? :)

As for the most popular mp3 "bootleg", that has been floating around the net for almost six years: it's bogus (of course!), but let me elaborate a bit on that matter.

There are four untitled mp3s with the following playtimes: "A1" - 8:07 / "B1" - 9:06 / "C1" - 4:03 / "C2" 10:11. Track "C1" has been directly ripped from the "The Philosophy Of Sound And Machine" CD (Applied Rhythmic Technology, 1992). It's the only track released under the moniker Q-Chastic and it has been confirmed several times, that this track is NOT included on the mysterious Q-Chastic EP.

But what about the other tracks? Anyone who heard it surely has noticed that these Drum'n'Bass tracks sound way ahead of its time - and that's just because they are! They have been ripped from the Compilation "Food For Thoughts" (Shoebox, 1997), in particular: "A1" = John B 'Translucogene' / "B1" = Riddler 'Thoughts' / "C2" = SDR 'The Chimes'.

The fake bootleg was compiled just for fun, first time released into the Audiogalaxy network (around 2001/2, when it was still a filesharing platform) just to see how many people would fall for the (obvious!) fake. Many people did (and still do), the fake even made it into wikipedia until a wise editor deleted the bogus information.

How do I know? I know the person who did it (although I don't condone these actions, hehe), who - like me - never would have believed that this thing is floating around still today. I mean, come on: Look at the different production quality, the different sound, the different style - everything's different, and how anyone seriously could think of this being the real deal is a mystery to me.

I can't help to think some elements of the tracks, such as the ambient pads in A1, the percussion in C2, the bassline (which has a similar sound to Cuckoo's bassline, but a lot deeper) on C1 are works of Richard under a different name.

• 9 years later...

CAT003 was/is a EP by GWC.

now that is interesting. CAT003 might be one of Rephlex's biggest mysteries - i had the impression it was just unused/skipped over catalog number with no information at all - the only thing i've ever seen (in a photo) in reference to it is a lengthy catalog sheet that came with some copies of the Mike and Rich collab. i believe it covered everything ever put out by Rephlex at that point. CAT003 is there, but it is given as "untitled white label" instead of mentioning an artist or album name.

it would be interesting to hear something made by grant - did he do much work as a musician? the tracks he did for UI Green (both tracks on the 7") were real highlights imo.

Archived