IGNORED

I played 54 Cymru Beats

Dale

and yeah, you can guess his reaction.

With this track, you have to understand what it's about.. I also believe that with any of Richard's music, you need a certain level of musical intelligence in order to take in everything happening in Drukqs per second.. the look on his face when it reached the climax near to the end was indescribable.

bobby640x480ga0.jpg

He said "WTF, THAT IS NOT MUSIC"..

Anyone else experienced this when introducing Drukqs to a complete noob, and has never entered the realms of the electronic music world? I guess it is not the most accessible album if Richard's, but it was that album which got me into The Aphex Twin.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need a certain level of musical intelligence in order to take in everything happening in Drukqs per second.. the look on his face when it reached the climax near to the end was indescribable.

Anyone else experienced this when introducing Drukqs to a complete noob, and has never entered the realms of the electronic music world? I guess it is not the most accessible album if Richard's, but it was that album which got me into The Aphex Twin.

I try to reserve certain Aphex tracks when trying to introduce someone to Richard's work. I'll only play RDJ tracks around certain people who I think are more musically open than others. You know more times than not you will get a not so pleasant or non-enthusiastic reaction if you play it to just anyone. When I first started listening to Aphex Twin some of the stuff didn't sit easy with me, different, but that's what I loved about it, irritably soothing. It always grows on me more and more.

What tracks would anyone here suggest to be good tracks to introduce someone to RDJ? Keep in mind your favorite tracks may not be the most easily accessible tracks to non-listeners of RDJ. I guess it all depends on someone's taste in music as well...

Drukqs is a remarkable release, Mt Saint Michel mix St Michaels Mount, Taking Control, Ziggomatic

you need a certain level of musical intelligence in order to take in everything happening in Drukqs per second.. the look on his face when it reached the climax near to the end was indescribable.

I try to reserve certain Aphex tracks when trying to introduce someone to Richard's work. I'll only play RDJ tracks around certain people who I think are more musically open than others. You know more times than not you will get a not so pleasant or non-enthusiastic reaction if you play it to just anyone. When I first started listening to Aphex Twin some of the stuff didn't sit easy with me, different, but that's what I loved about it, irritably soothing. It always grows on me more and more.

What tracks would anyone here suggest to be good tracks to introduce someone to RDJ? Keep in mind your favorite tracks may not be the most easily accessible tracks to non-listeners of RDJ. I guess it all depends on someone's taste in music as well...

Drukqs is a remarkable release, Mt Saint Michel mix St Michaels Mount, Taking Control, Ziggomatic v17

I try to reserve certain Aphex tracks when trying to introduce someone to Richard's work. I'll only play RDJ stuff around certain people who I think are more musically open than others. You know more times than not you will get a not so pleasant or non-enthusiastic reaction if you play it to just anyone. When I first started listening to Aphex Twin some of the stuff didn't sit easy with me, weird, but that's what I loved about it, irritably soothing. It always grows on me more and more.

Drukqs is a terrific release, some very unique stuff and killer tracks like: Mt Saint Michel mix St Michaels Mount, Meltphace, Afx237 v7 and Ziggomatic v17. I like the 54 Cymru Beats (Agronaut Mix) slightly more than Drukqs Album release.

drukqs_bumper.jpg

What tracks would anyone here suggest to be good tracks to introduce someone to RDJ? Keep in mind your favorite tracks may not be the most easily accessible tracks to non-listeners of RDJ. I guess it all depends on someone's taste in music as well... I mostly listened to ICBYD and older stuff when I first was into Aphex Twin, then I discovered all the newer stuff much later, and what a real treat that was. :aphexsign:

Guest Caustic

If anyone asks what I'm listening to, I just fucking lie. Saves explaining.

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Although one time I played a mental Sqpusher track to my mate and they loved it.

Aphex was the first "electronic music" I listened to. I started with the RDJ album. I remember hearing Drukqs and being like, whoa, alien musikz.

Guest tbio2007

Not very surprising to be honest mate, but well done for introducing someone else to Aphex though.

WaxenPith was right though, you need to think about what tracks you play if you want to introduce someone else to electronic music generally not just Aphex.

I started a post a few weeks ago about how to get people into Autechre and made a mix tape of what I consider a balance of accessible and challenging tracks, I done the same with Aphex a few days ago and gave it to my new flatmate at UNI who normally likes Indie. (NME Boy basically)

Unfortunately he does not actively go out to listen to it which is a shame because I spent alot of time thinking about the right mix of Aphex Tracks!

1) Radiator (remix) of 26 mixes

2) Cordialatron (Caustic Window)

3) Digeridoo (Classics)

4) Polynomial-C (Classics)

5) Avril 14th (Drugks)

6) 4 (RDJ Album)

7) Fingerbib (RDJ Album)

9) Girl/Boy Song (RDJ Album)

10) Windowlicker (EP)

11) Come to Daddy (EP)

12) Cat 00897-AA1 (Analogue Bubblebath 3)

The ones I use as an introduction are:

Flim

Alberto Balsalm

Iz-Us

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

Laughable Butane Bob

Bbydhyonchord

Fingerbib

Smooth melodies and fairly straigtforward beats. If they like those then I give them more complicated tracks.

i've had a similar experience with "54 cymru beats"... i was driving a friend home from work around the time the album was released... he was your typical alternative music fan that listened to stuff like 311, Blink 182... basically those bands that had numbers in the name... and when it reached the climax he said "this is making my teeth hurt!"... i just looked over at him and gave him a cold stare... he said nothing else the rest of the ride home... he never asked for a ride again!

The RDJ album really got me into Aphex Twin, as did the Windowlicker single. Play some Yellow Calx or Fingerbib for beginner's ears. Maybe some stuff off of SAW85-92, most of it is more toned down (excluding Green Calx).

Ya know that's kinda crazy, maybe my results aren't typical, but when I've played people Drukqs and other mental shit, my friends that normally wouldn't be caught dead listening to electronic music become fans almost over night. it seems (in the US) that people ALWAYS associate electronic music with what has been shoved in their face (ie: Anthem Trance, & House) and they can't stand that 4 to da floor business. Once they found out that something more existed, and that something more straight up killed, it was all over. They usually over a period of time, find that they can now understand good house & techno also, and even the analords.

Guest Enter a new display name
i've had a similar experience with "54 cymru beats"... i was driving a friend home from work around the time the album was released... he was your typical alternative music fan that listened to stuff like 311, Blink 182... basically those bands that had numbers in the name... and when it reached the climax he said "this is making my teeth hurt!"... i just looked over at him and gave him a cold stare... he said nothing else the rest of the ride home... he never asked for a ride again!

You totally have no shame for sharing your unusual music tastes, assy! :laughing:

The only similar experience that happened to me is when I was at a party with a couple of chicks. They were dancing to fucking reggaeton and I put out "Aanguish" by Venetian Snares. It was a nice one!

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Although one time I played a mental Sqpusher track to my mate and they loved it.

LOL! That's great! I do the exact same thing. I'm always telling people something else, usually Pink Floyd (mainly b/c I do listen to a lot of Floyd) but I know what go through there Caustic. Good idea on the WATMM Teaches: electronic music Introductions! Vol. 1 :laughing:

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap,

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

LOL! That's great! I do the exact same thing. I'm always telling people something else, usually Pink Floyd (mainly b/c I do listen to a lot of Floyd) but I know what go through there Caustic. Good idea on the WATMM Teaches: electronic music Introductions! Vol. 1 :laughing:

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with t

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with the gentler

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with the gentler beats.

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with the gentler beats

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with the gentler beats and

"What you listening to?"

"Uh...Zeppelin mate"

Nice list tbio2007 and Patternoverlap, I agree with the idea of the more mellow tracks with some mix in there. patternoverlap I think your list would definitely be the brighter side of RDJ and easiest to listen to. I know one friend of mine loves 'Milkman' and 'Bucephalus Bouncing Ball' some of his most favorite tracks of all but it's hard to get him to pay much attention to anything else, he just always requests those songs. I'll play the harder fast stuff for my friends who are really into Metal/Hardcore stuff, most of them have heard a few more popular tracks by Aphex Twin

gives us a post rush, rush, rush, r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r.

I suck :confused: LOL. Sorry all, having problems, at lease Adjective made a mix of it, Aphex style. I'll try to lay off that spacebar next time (I think that's what happened) Any way to remove posts?

Most people listen to music because they like it, it appeals to them, is catchy etc, not because it has musical innovation. I bet you're not completely into atonal music, which one could argue is more intelligent than aphex stuff. Drukqs isn't the fucking pinnacle of music, it's not more intelligent than any good music out there.

Archived